• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon eye

Jordan oliver

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my bearded dragon has had a eye problem ever since I got him about 3 or 4 months ago! He either scratched it or got bit in it by my other dragon! His inner eye lid is swollen with a little bump! I took him to the vet and she stained his eye and said that it wasn’t scratched or infected and it was just swelling! Well she prescribed Neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and dexamethasone Ophthalmic ointment USP which is a antibiotic/anti-inflammatory/steroid oitment! Well it seemed to be working but now it’s back to being swollen more!? I just had a wedding and don’t have the money to take him back for it not to fix the problem again which I payed 125 the first time! Any one know what else I can do or what else I can use!??? Hellllppp please! He is growing fine and she said there was nothing wrong with him internally! He still eats fine and does everything a normal bearded dragon does!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 53

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi ,firstly, congrats on your wedding. I know the experts here will likely want more info, particularly, what kind of lighting you are using and if both of your dragons are housed together. Its hard to tell from the pic but the eye looks a bit rheumy, is there any discharge? 4 months is a long time for swelling to persist, you definately need to find out what caused it to begin with.

Jordan oliver

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use a 18 inch zoo med repti sun tube 10.0! I only have one dragon now! There is no discharge it’s just like a little bump inside his eyelid! Iv been to the vet already and she said it was just a little swollen and no scratch or any infection! I don’t have the money to take him back and I don’t wanna pay that much again and it not fix it!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
the swelling isnt just in the eye lid, its quite noticable in the part between the eye and nostril in the first pic (idk what its called). I wonder if he has got something stuck under his lid? a grain of sand or some retained shed or something and its causing the swelling. If it was just tissue damage you would think the anti inflamitories would have worked or healed after all this time. Sorry, its beyond my skills to advise you. All I can suggest is that you keep it clean. A teabag (caffienated but not flavoured) is a good diuretic (a used one will do), wet it and gently dab the eye, sounds odd i know but it works very well. Someone else will have a better idea of what might be going on with him, I hope they can help you

Jordan oliver

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is there any other kind of medicine I can get over the counter that is stronger than the stuff I have? I just don’t have the money to spend right now on another vet visit when I went the first time and it didn’t work!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry your dragon's eye hasn't gotten better I saw your message earlier, I wish I knew what to tell you but I don't know what could be going on and it's best to have a vet address it since it came back.. I don't mess around when it comes to eyes..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wonder if he did get sand stuck under his eyelid. You could try flushing the eye with sterile saline solution and see if that helps get it out.