• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon eye closing/ beard puffing / air puffing

dudun928

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon is 1 year old and closes one eye or maybe both every often . This been going on for 1 week now. She does it when she’s in her cage and when she’s out. I do not even get near her and she does it. And when she’s asleep, she puff air out and puffs her beard . I am very concerned , someone pelase help

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My bearded dragon is 1 year old and closes one eye or maybe both every often . This been going on for 1 week now. She does it when she’s in her cage and when she’s out. I do not even get near her and she does it. And when she’s asleep, she puff air out and puffs her beard . I am very concerned , someone pelase help
She has an UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION take her to the Vet ASAP for antibiotics. Causes are the Temps are not hot enuff, should be 95-100 for adullts and 100-105 for babies/juveniles, when bathing never ever get water in their ears and Humidity should be 30-40; never ever over 40. U need to buy a digital thermometer and a digital hygometer and place it in the basking spot to see what its at. Also, at nite if temps are dropping below 75, actually below 80; then u need to place a ceramic heat emitter which emits heat but NO light. At nite they like pure dark and quiet.

dudun928

Bearded Dragon Egg
She has an UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION take her to the Vet ASAP for antibiotics. Causes are the Temps are not hot enuff, should be 95-100 for adullts and 100-105 for babies/juveniles, when bathing never ever get water in their ears and Humidity should be 30-40; never ever over 40. U need to buy a digital thermometer and a digital hygometer and place it in the basking spot to see what its at. Also, at nite if temps are dropping below 75, actually below 80; then u need to place a ceramic heat emitter which emits heat but NO light. At nite they like pure dark and quiet.
Is that really the case? But you didn’t explain the eye closing , please explain that and I keep my temp at straight 100 , I use a mercury vapor mega ray bulb

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Is that really the case? But you didn’t explain the eye closing , please explain that and I keep my temp at straight 100 , I use a mercury vapor mega ray bulb
My baby does this as well. I’ve read closing one eye, since their eyes are on the sides of their head, closing one eye helps them focus better. And she puffs up her beard from time to time as well. And I’ve read that it’s like stretching their beard. But she’s never having trouble breathing and her eyes look good. That’s just my experience

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My goodness I forgot to address; remove that mercury bulb or any colored bulbs you have ASAP it burns their eyes. They need a clear ZooMed basking bulb for heat and a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVb that covers at least 50-70 percent of the tank beginning at the hot side. If he was close to that mercury bulb or any colored bulb, it can burn their eyes. Those are deadly get what I recommended ASAP or move him 15 inches away from that bulb but yes sounds like respiratory and eyes ruined from the bulb. Also at nite pure dark no Lites for heat use a ceramic heat emitter which produces heat but no light temp should be around 75-80 at nite never falling below 70. But he needs a vet ASAP but get him away from that bulb and go buyvat any local pet store the Reptisun 10.0 T8 In The meantime till the T5 arrives. Puffing could also mean Anger due to the light., but if heavy breathing and bubbling noises that’s URInfection. Get the ZooMed and Reptisun ASAp.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Mercury vapor bulbs (not coils or colored lights) are fine if you know what you're doing and have a properly sized tank. I know several people who have used mercury bulbs for years without issue on a variety of reptiles. They last longer and give off heat and UVB. The only problem comes from the price and getting the temps right at the start.

dudun928

Bearded Dragon Egg
My goodness I forgot to address; remove that mercury bulb or any colored bulbs you have ASAP it burns their eyes. They need a clear ZooMed basking bulb for heat and a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVb that covers at least 50-70 percent of the tank beginning at the hot side. If he was close to that mercury bulb or any colored bulb, it can burn their eyes. Those are deadly get what I recommended ASAP or move him 15 inches away from that bulb but yes sounds like respiratory and eyes ruined from the bulb. Also at nite pure dark no Lites for heat use a ceramic heat emitter which produces heat but no light temp should be around 75-80 at nite never falling below 70. But he needs a vet ASAP but get him away from that bulb and go buyvat any local pet store the Reptisun 10.0 T8 In The meantime till the T5 arrives. Puffing could also mean Anger due to the light., but if heavy breathing and bubbling noises that’s URInfection. Get the ZooMed and Reptisun ASAp.
I don’t think it’s the mercury bulb I have it for 1 month and it was really good so far

dudun928

Bearded Dragon Egg
How far am I supposed to keep the bulb away ? I read some articles and they said mercury vapor can be a little too much if too lose, but I keep mine 25 inches away. Also the air puffing was because i kept moving her

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Here are symptoms for respiratory infection, if you are worried of ever get worried:
"Sneeze, or have discharge from their eyes or nose, bubbles from the mouth or nose, unnaturally rapid or shallow breathing, open-mouthed breathing, decreased appetite, and lethargy."
This is coming from from the VCA site I will attach the link at the bottom for you if you'd like to take a look.
So if she doesn't have any of these symptoms she's probably good to go. The weird breathing thing you see is a way for them to either catch their breath, force some air out. Thats more in older beardies my girl does that all the time or like CaHarding said some beardies do that to stretch their beard, my other beardie does that almost every morning its kinda funny to see. And the eyes it could be a matter of anything, focus better, resting their eyes, mid day power nap, truly the list could go on, but it does usually mean that they feel comfy enough and safe to close their eyes. Hope I was able to help :)

dudun928

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea my bearded dragon is just stretching her beard , but I’m most worried about the eyes. She won’t open them

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yea my bearded dragon is just stretching her beard , but I’m most worried about the eyes. She won’t open them
Like at all or are there specific times. Would you mind sending a picture matube there’s some swelling or something

RastaMaDukes

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Everybody has very informative replies, but I say the best thing to do is go to the VET. If he has been in that cage, you might just need to change bulbs. Physical signs of ailment should be caught early and taken to vet.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi the mercury vapor bulb or powersun are deadly!! Buy the ZooMed clear basking bulb for heat and the long Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. The length should cover 70 percent of the tank and placed in the back and the heat lamp more in the front on hot side so when he basks he gets both. In the summer u keep both on for 12-14 hours a day & im the winter 10-12 hours per day. At night; NO lights on at all, they like pure dark. Also, REMOVE any colored or coiled bulbs; it burns their eyes.

Rodney Kirtsinger

Bearded Dragon Egg
It has a URI and his eyes are closed because you are giving it too much UVB radiation.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How far am I supposed to keep the bulb away ? I read some articles and they said mercury vapor can be a little too much if too lose, but I keep mine 25 inches away. Also the air puffing was because i kept moving her
REMOVE THIS BULB & Get the Reptisun ASAP and the Zoomed clear bulb for heat. We rescue and rehome. If you cant spend the money on proper lighting then u should not have a reptile or pet. My goodness let me guess you are feeding Cheap destructive to their tummy mealworms and kale or lettuce; NoNo & No. Not correct at all

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It has a URI and his eyes are closed because you are giving it too much UVB radiation.
CORRECT; its too much UVB and Lights burning his eyes. Go to the Vet ASAP for the URInfection, he needs antibiotics or its deadly the longer u wait the worse. and get the Proper bulbs

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The bulb is most likely not the problem. Reptisun isn't the only good UVB :)
We rescue and rehome. YES, Reptisun is the only recommmend UVB & Clear ZooMed bulb for Heat. Most have no clue they use colored bulbs and keep them on 24/7; this is WRONG 7 DEADLY. WE rescue and rehome & seen horrbile horrible situations with Beardies. U need to spend the money for proper food and setup. NO Sand, NO mealworms and No kale, lettuce or spincahe. Its simple

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member

In places where Reptisun isn't available, there are a few good mercury bulbs on the market that are excellent and more cost effective in the long run. Although Reptisun is the most recommended for beginners, some people swear by Arcadia (T5 H.O) for larger enclosures.

p.s: Are y'all being sponsored by Exo Terra?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Also, it might not be the best idea to diagnose other people's beardies for them over the Internet. A vet opinion is best and it can actually be quite dangerous.

The lights to look out for are the ones that give off weak UVB, are compact or coil, and are colored. Once that is narrowed down to the quality lights, a trustworthy one can be chosen if you do enough research and talk to people who have successfully used them long-term.