• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon acting very weird, hasn't pooped

corruptakuma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello I'm here for some help or maybe some ideas, my girl Maka has been acting pretty weird tonight. She started freaking out when I put her back into her cage after holding her for a bit, she ran frantically into the corners of the tank, I took her back out and she sprinted off in my room. Her beard is puffed out and turning black. I went in to try and feed her and she is discolored and puffed out. She wasn't like this 30 minutes ago. I'm wondering if it could do with being constipated, she hasn't pooped for about 3 weeks, I've been doing warm soaks and even tried olive oil still no poop. She has a vet appointment next Wednesday for this but I'm worried it's gonna be to long of a wait for her. She just went to the vet not even 2 weeks ago and the doctor said she was fine I'm extremely worrried. She's never acted like this before.

Attachments

• IMG_20221018_215628999.jpg
    IMG_20221018_215628999.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How old is the dragon? Has she ever laid eggs? What are you using for a UVB a coil or a tube? The surface basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please- you want a digital probe thermometer to get actual surface basking temps - they should be 95-100--- what is her diet? It is not unusual for them to go for long periods of time of not pooping - you can feed her some canned plain pumpkin or some baby food pumpkin --- feed till she poops add a drop of olive oil -- the puffing of the beard could be shes going into shed - they will stretch their beards-
Surface basking temps and UVB play a huge role in digestion -

corruptakuma

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the dragon? Has she ever laid eggs? What are you using for a UVB a coil or a tube? The surface basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please- you want a digital probe thermometer to get actual surface basking temps - they should be 95-100--- what is her diet? It is not unusual for them to go for long periods of time of not pooping - you can feed her some canned plain pumpkin or some baby food pumpkin --- feed till she poops add a drop of olive oil -- the puffing of the beard could be shes going into shed - they will stretch their beards-
Surface basking temps and UVB play a huge role in digestion -
So she is about a year and a month old, she has a tube uvb bulb in a 40 gallon, her basking spot is about 100° and her cool side is about 75 degrees. She has daily salads consisting of collards, turnip greens and cucumber, then about 10 or so crickets every other day. the only thing I could think of is she isn't basking enough, she only basks a small part of the day then goes off to her cool hide to sleep.i will definitely try the pumpkin to see if that would work better than the olive oil, I did it 2 times so far and nothing.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So she is about a year and a month old, she has a tube uvb bulb in a 40 gallon, her basking spot is about 100° and her cool side is about 75 degrees. She has daily salads consisting of collards, turnip greens and cucumber, then about 10 or so crickets every other day. the only thing I could think of is she isn't basking enough, she only basks a small part of the day then goes off to her cool hide to sleep.i will definitely try the pumpkin to see if that would work better than the olive oil, I did it 2 times so far and nothing.
Where is the UVB? Inside the tank or top of screen ? Is it the T 5 or a T 8 and the brand of bulb please- how old is the UVB bulb? Are you getting the 100 temp w/ a digital probe thermometer? Please keep feeding the pumpkin till she poops- she needs to be hydrated -- that too helps w/ the pooping

Krystal0

Juvenile Dragon
Hello I'm here for some help or maybe some ideas, my girl Maka has been acting pretty weird tonight. She started freaking out when I put her back into her cage after holding her for a bit, she ran frantically into the corners of the tank, I took her back out and she sprinted off in my room. Her beard is puffed out and turning black. I went in to try and feed her and she is discolored and puffed out. She wasn't like this 30 minutes ago. I'm wondering if it could do with being constipated, she hasn't pooped for about 3 weeks, I've been doing warm soaks and even tried olive oil still no poop. She has a vet appointment next Wednesday for this but I'm worried it's gonna be to long of a wait for her. She just went to the vet not even 2 weeks ago and the doctor said she was fine I'm extremely worrried. She's never acted like this before.
How fast

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Feed her some baby food pumpkin that will make her poop- feed till she poops- make sure her surface basking temps are 95-100 taken with a digital probe thermometer- are you using a coil for a uvb?

corruptakuma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where is the UVB? Inside the tank or top of screen ? Is it the T 5 or a T 8 and the brand of bulb please- how old is the UVB bulb? Are you getting the 100 temp w/ a digital probe thermometer? Please keep feeding the pumpkin till she poops- she needs to be hydrated -- that too helps w/ the pooping
It's on top of the cage I use a temp gun to get the temps on the basking spot and around. I have been feeding squash and doing lots of warm soaks, happy to say she finally pooped today. It was a lot. thank you for your help :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's on top of the cage I use a temp gun to get the temps on the basking spot and around. I have been feeding squash and doing lots of warm soaks, happy to say she finally pooped today. It was a lot. thank you for your help :)
Ok well thats good she pooped ---- your screen on the tank is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type - this determines where the UVB needs to be ---- screens block out 30% of the rays --- I would get a digital probe thermometer for accurate surface basking temps -- IR guns can be off depending on the material of the basking decor piece ---