• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded always has his eyes closed

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is 10 years old. He's always been happy and healthy and he just went to the vet last week. They did an exam, x-rays and a blood test. She said everything was fine. But still he is not active (ever) and his eyes are almost always shut. Might squint them for a few mins here and there.
His tank is about 4ft x 18 in and I have a reptisun 10.0 uvb, it's brand new, and a 100 watt heat light that he sits about 10-12 inches away from.
Can someone please tell me any possible reasons for this?? It's worrying me

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Has your beardie ever went into brumation this time of year?

How long has he been like this?

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have noticed previous years he would sleep more often this time of year. What signs should I be looking for if he's brumating? He's been this way for about a solid month now. He is not losing weight, appears otherwise healthy, etc

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Those are all good signs. You did the right thing by taking him to the vets to make sure he didn't have any parasites. At this time of the year, starting in September they will want to sleep and it's okay for them to sleep for days at a time. Brumation is like hibernation in bears. The lack of appetite, no weight loss and just wanting to sleep are all signs. The best thing for him is to let him sleep.

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much for the reassurance. Should I make sure he has a darker area to sleep? Or it doesn't matter? He is right under his light. He wakes up on occasion if I pick him up. I was mainly concerned because of his age (almost 11)

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Can I ask how long have you had this beardie?

Turning lights on or turn lights off. That is completely up to the owner. Some people will turn lights off completely and others will turn them on for a shorter period of time. Some people will turn them off for 3 days then turn them on for a day. I will do 8 hours a day at a lower temp. I do not bother him. I do however offer him a soft comfy bed with a fluffy blanket. Lol

If they do wake up and eat please make sure he basks for the 2 hours to digest the food in his stomach as you never want them to go to sleep with food in their stomach's. It could rot and lead to infections.

Also if he wakes up this is a great time to give him a bath.

Hope this helps.

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had him since he was tiny probably about 6 months old. His whole life almost. I've never had any health issues with him fortunately.
I currently have a 100 watt basking bulb. What if maybe I get a 75? And make sure he sleeps on the other side of the tank? He has a nice soft blanket.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's really hard for me to tell you what to do during this time. Like I said this is your choice, your animal. I don't want to come across mean. But I don't want to tell you that this is how you have to do things or else! Lol

If you are going to do things like me, again your choice, then I would do what you said and maybe only keep the lights on 8-10 hours instead of 12 hours.

Anthony Radford

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's great he has been healthy his whole life, especially as old as he is. Shows you have been caring for him correctly. It's amazing how quickly you get attached to the little guys.

I did a quick google search on brumation, and found this really good article. I recommend anyone that has a beardie to read this and understand brumation. This IS the time of year for symptoms to start showing, so if you're brushed up on brumation and the signs, then you won't be alarmed when it happens.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/

Has he never brumated in past years? Keep up the great care for him!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Having the lights on only 8 hours mimics a shorter day. Like we have in the winter time.

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much. This has helped a lot. I can't honestly say in the 10.5 years this little guy has lived in my room 5 feet away from me, lol, I have ever seen him do this. I've definitely noticed in previous winters he has slept a lot during the day. But not to this extent.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awwww how sweet! Clearly you love your beardie. Especially since he has been so healthy! That's commendable!! Congrats for having a healthy beardie and doing such an amazing job with him.

Just keep an eye on him as he is older this year. Maybe once a week if he sleeps the entire week, Get him out and give him a warm soak. That way you can get your cuddles in TOO!

I wish you all the luck in the world with your guy. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's the cutest thing. Everyone loves him he's always so happy and cuddly. Do this is a huge relief since I was so concerned about him not being social at all. Thanks so much!!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he's slowed his eating and activity he is likely slowing down.. The thing about brumation is every dragon is different, some never brumate, some just get lazy, some sleep for a few days then up for a few then down again, and then there are the ones that sleep for months up to 6! Here's what you do:
-mimic natural lighting time, so his basking light time is shorter for the winter months
-always offer a salad, you never know when they pop out of it and are hungry, if they eat make them bask, then the next day or 2 bath to poop/drink..
-Once a week when they are down take them out and give them a bath, allows for drinking and to relieve themselves if need be. Watch them Closely as some don't wake up in the bath so make sure you keep their head above water..
-weigh them to monitor any significant loss or gain, as that's a sign of parasites.
-check them make sure they are looking ok
-provide a safe dark place to brumate, this should be on their cool side as they need the cool down.

Then it's just sit and wait for them to join us again.... offer food, and normal basking times and a good soak

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I have another question for you guys. My sister (who is home with our beardie during the day much more than I am) said that the last few weeks, any time he has woken up he has had trouble walking and was stumbling. And bumping into things. I was unaware of this as I haven't been home during the days.
Does this add anything into the thought of him brumating?
Again, he had a vet visit and his ears were looked at, x-rays taken etc.
I really appreciate the input. I'm confused since he's never had health problems so the symptoms are new to me

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I have another question for you guys. My sister (who is home with our beardie during the day much more than I am) said that the last few weeks, any time he has woken up he has had trouble walking and was stumbling. And bumping into things. I was unaware of this as I haven't been home during the days.
Does this add anything into the thought of him brumating?
Again, he had a vet visit and his ears were looked at, x-rays taken etc.
I really appreciate the input. I'm confused since he's never had health problems so the symptoms are new to me
those don't sound like "sleepy" brumation behavior, and his ears were fine? is he hydrated enough? (what color is his urate?) did the vet do bloodwork? to look for vit deficiency

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's what's happening in more detail since now that the 2 of us have discussed it i have more info.
He started slowly losing his appetite about a month ago, and also shed around that time too. He's had his eyes closed for the last few weeks. The few times he has woken up (only for a few minutes) he has seemed disoriented.
His vet did an exam which included his ears, x-rays blood work and she also said his bones felt strong.
Like I said he has a 40 gallon breeder with a reptisun 10.0 22 inch tube and a 100 watt basking light. He can sit within 12-14 inches of them. I have calcium with d3 which I use twice a week on food. He has a warm bath twice a week.
I know he is old. But if there is anything I can do to comfort him of course I'll do it.

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
He appears healthy. He's a bright orange/yellow which is his normal color. He's chubby and hasn't lost weight.
20150219_092357.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds like you are doing everything right. The sleepiness sounds like brumation and I would make sure that he has a cozy hide that he could go into to get away from the "sun" if he wants to. The disorientation is a little different. I would mention it to the vet, since it sounds like you didn't know about it when you went. Bumping into things, he could be losing his vision and at his age that wouldn't surprise me. He really is a handsome fella.

Res63089

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! It's very odd. It's kind of like he doesn't know where he is walking. He loves blueberries and we give them as a treat now and then and my sister had rolled one in of him but he kept missing when he tried to eat it. I wonder if it's his vision since everything else seemed normal. He scratches his face sometimes and stumbles into things. These are the weird symptoms...