• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

TwiggyFish

Bearded Dragon Egg
EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone. Two days ago my boy Dino, approx. 5 or 6 years old, overdosed on Baytril. I was the one to administer it and I didn't realize my mistake until a day later and I then rushed him to the veterinary and was sent home saying there was nothing that could be done for him. I am wondering if anyone has had a similiar experience or can give me advice as I am desperate and feeling horrible for my beardie.

Some background

He is in a custom built 4x2 enclosure. Cermaic flooring and custom styrofoam background. Basking temp is 40c, humidity is 40% and a reptisun 10.0 uvb is along 3/4 of the enclosure and varies from 6-10 inches from him depending on where he is basking.

I got Dino off of a buy and sell website and although his tail is shorter than normal and he is missing some toes, I took him to the vet early on and he was in great health. At first he was always very active, wanting to come out of his enclosure and run around, eat salads, etc. About a month after having him he became lethargic, stopped basking altogether, stopped eating, no bowel movements.. very lethargic. He absolutely refused salad and would only eat insects but only 1 or 2 worms once a week or more. I gave him baths and he seemed to like them, always going back in when I would try and take him out. I also noticed around this time that his mouth was always slightly agap. He had a difficult shed but eventually it all came off and I thought he would perk up but he continued this lethargic behaviour. He wasn't losing any weight so I figured he we going through brumation.. after a couple of months I took him in for a check up as I started to become concerned that there was no improvement. I know bearded dragons can't cough, but one bath he started making these gagging coughing noises and I assumed he inhaled water so I turned his heat up a couple of degrees and it went away. Then a few days later there were little bubbles coming out of his one nostril so I took him to the vet and they said that he appeared healthy, although he had lost 50g in a month and he thought it odd his mouth was always slightly open as he didnt appear to have a respiratory problem, he also didn't feel compacted or backed up. As a precaution he was put on critical care and prescribed 0.12ml of Baytril once a day. This brings us to two days ago when I went to give him his first dose.

I know I am probably going to get a lot of hate for what happened, I know its going to seem SO obvious and like I am an idiot but I can't changed what happened. I feel sick to my stomach over what I did and am desperate for help as I am so anxious knowing he is likely suffering.

The syringe go 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc all the way to 0.10... so being the idiot that I am, I thought that 0.12ml meant I give him the full syringe of 10ml plus .02 extra ml to make it 12. Right away his beard turned very black and I could tell he was not happy but I figured it gave him a bit of a sore stomach based off of my research of it. Next day when I went to give more I realised I overdosed him 10x the amount.. i was instantly reeling realizing this and rushed him to the vet. Vet said that basically there is nothing to do. The vet is an exotic one and he said he could do blood work but because its an overdose I would have to do it every 3 days to monitor how his insides are doing and its $200 cad per bloodwork. He said he thought there was no point because it was luck of the draw when it comes to successfully getting blood from beardies. He said likely he would have bad internal damage and if that happened that he had a 50% chance of living or dying. He gave Dino subcutaneous fluids and sent him home and said to monitor him and still force feed him critical care once a day. Well the next day since the vet appointment, today, he seems to be worsening.. extremely black beard, covered in stress lines, grey discolouring limbs, stomach seems bloated and he is constantly pancaking. Won't bask, won't move, just lays in one spot. His eyes are glazed and if he does move he is running into things. I honestly am sick about it. I called the vet again because I am so anxious for him and the vet said if he isn't better by Monday, in 3 days, that he should be euthanized. He said there are no scholarly works on beardies od'ing on baytril so he doesn't have much to go off but he said that Dino is likely extremely sick and uncomfortable feeling.. which kills me even more.

I am constantly beating myself up and just distraught over this whole situation. Such a simple mistake and the effects are terrible. I am supposed to be his caretaker and I did this. I have not yet tried to feed him because I am worried it will make him feel worse. He is just super angry and sick looking and I can't bare the thought of force feeding him right now. I don't want to lose my baby boy and I know it is likely he will have permanenet damage.. but does anyone know if there is anything I can give him to help? I am desperate.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone. Two days ago my boy Dino, approx. 5 or 6 years old, overdosed on Baytril. I was the one to administer it and I didn't realize my mistake until a day later and I then rushed him to the veterinary and was sent home saying there was nothing that could be done for him. I am wondering if anyone has had a similiar experience or can give me advice as I am desperate and feeling horrible for my beardie.

Some background

He is in a custom built 4x2 enclosure. Cermaic flooring and custom styrofoam background. Basking temp is 40c, humidity is 40% and a reptisun 10.0 uvb is along 3/4 of the enclosure and varies from 6-10 inches from him depending on where he is basking.

I got Dino off of a buy and sell website and although his tail is shorter than normal and he is missing some toes, I took him to the vet early on and he was in great health. At first he was always very active, wanting to come out of his enclosure and run around, eat salads, etc. About a month after having him he became lethargic, stopped basking altogether, stopped eating, no bowel movements.. very lethargic. He absolutely refused salad and would only eat insects but only 1 or 2 worms once a week or more. I gave him baths and he seemed to like them, always going back in when I would try and take him out. I also noticed around this time that his mouth was always slightly agap. He had a difficult shed but eventually it all came off and I thought he would perk up but he continued this lethargic behaviour. He wasn't losing any weight so I figured he we going through brumation.. after a couple of months I took him in for a check up as I started to become concerned that there was no improvement. I know bearded dragons can't cough, but one bath he started making these gagging coughing noises and I assumed he inhaled water so I turned his heat up a couple of degrees and it went away. Then a few days later there were little bubbles coming out of his one nostril so I took him to the vet and they said that he appeared healthy, although he had lost 50g in a month and he thought it odd his mouth was always slightly open as he didnt appear to have a respiratory problem, he also didn't feel compacted or backed up. As a precaution he was put on critical care and prescribed 0.12ml of Baytril once a day. This brings us to two days ago when I went to give him his first dose.

I know I am probably going to get a lot of hate for what happened, I know its going to seem SO obvious and like I am an idiot but I can't changed what happened. I feel sick to my stomach over what I did and am desperate for help as I am so anxious knowing he is likely suffering.

The syringe go 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc all the way to 0.10... so being the idiot that I am, I thought that 0.12ml meant I give him the full syringe of 10ml plus .02 extra ml to make it 12. Right away his beard turned very black and I could tell he was not happy but I figured it gave him a bit of a sore stomach based off of my research of it. Next day when I went to give more I realised I overdosed him 10x the amount.. i was instantly reeling realizing this and rushed him to the vet. Vet said that basically there is nothing to do. The vet is an exotic one and he said he could do blood work but because its an overdose I would have to do it every 3 days to monitor how his insides are doing and its $200 cad per bloodwork. He said he thought there was no point because it was luck of the draw when it comes to successfully getting blood from beardies. He said likely he would have bad internal damage and if that happened that he had a 50% chance of living or dying. He gave Dino subcutaneous fluids and sent him home and said to monitor him and still force feed him critical care once a day. Well the next day since the vet appointment, today, he seems to be worsening.. extremely black beard, covered in stress lines, grey discolouring limbs, stomach seems bloated and he is constantly pancaking. Won't bask, won't move, just lays in one spot. His eyes are glazed and if he does move he is running into things. I honestly am sick about it. I called the vet again because I am so anxious for him and the vet said if he isn't better by Monday, in 3 days, that he should be euthanized. He said there are no scholarly works on beardies od'ing on baytril so he doesn't have much to go off but he said that Dino is likely extremely sick and uncomfortable feeling.. which kills me even more.

I am constantly beating myself up and just distraught over this whole situation. Such a simple mistake and the effects are terrible. I am supposed to be his caretaker and I did this. I have not yet tried to feed him because I am worried it will make him feel worse. He is just super angry and sick looking and I can't bare the thought of force feeding him right now. I don't want to lose my baby boy and I know it is likely he will have permanenet damage.. but does anyone know if there is anything I can give him to help? I am desperate.
I have sent your post to a vet tech-

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
I am so sorry you and your boy are going thru this! Fingers crossed and lots of love sent to Dino. Don't beat yourself up..accidents happen. All you can do now is be there for Dino and try to make him as comfortable as possible. Praying for him! Please keep us posted. ❤

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some background

How is the dragon doing ?? I got a response from the vet tech --

Tell them to get their dragon on activated charcoal, asap.
Or, make a paste/slurry out of parsley, mint, basil & oregano to help
detox the body.
Follow the directions on the box --- I am not sure how much to give as I dont have a box to look to see how its measured out I am assuming by weight but not sure

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some background

First i want to say I'm so sorry,. But we would never hate on you here ❤️
I can only imagine how you are feeling!,
I would get the charcoal and google the medication,,
And stop beating yourself up, just do everything you can, and God bless you and him.

TwiggyFish

Bearded Dragon Egg
How is the dragon doing ?? I got a response from the vet tech --

Tell them to get their dragon on activated charcoal, asap.
Or, make a paste/slurry out of parsley, mint, basil & oregano to help
detox the body.
Follow the directions on the box --- I am not sure how much to give as I dont have a box to look to see how its measured out I am assuming by weight but not sure
Thank you so much!! I will do that today. Your response and help is so appreciated in this. Dino is very much the same today, lethargic, black and looks like he is miserable. Hopefully the charcoal will help get rid of some of this medication in his system as he hasn't had any bowel movements or any way to rid himself of it. Thank you again!!

TwiggyFish

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all SO much for the replies. I honestly was not expecting so much kindness and it has brought me comfort during this. Thank you all <3 Dino's condition has not changed today. He is lethargic, glazed eyes, very black, and very ill looking. I am going to try what Sadie said with the charcoal or the detox today and I will post an update if there are any changes. Thank you all so much again, I'm very grateful.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you all SO much for the replies. I honestly was not expecting so much kindness and it has brought me comfort during this. Thank you all <3 Dino's condition has not changed today. He is lethargic, glazed eyes, very black, and very ill looking. I am going to try what Sadie said with the charcoal or the detox today and I will post an update if there are any changes. Thank you all so much again, I'm very grateful.
Yes please keep us posted on Dino --- I recommend you find a different vet - a good reptile vet would of treated him or told you how as the vet tech that gave you the remedy for him -- here is a website to find a reptile vet in your area www.arav.org if your in a small area then I would type in zip code in a bigger area close to you --

Here's some info on giving activated charcoal to beardies: "The activated charcoal should be mixed at around 1/16tsp (very small pinch) of charcoal in 10ml of water. Then the mixture should be administered based on body weight.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
10 ml of water = 1/3 ounce
.03 ml would be a 1/16 teasp

TwiggyFish

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes please keep us posted on Dino --- I recommend you find a different vet - a good reptile vet would of treated him or told you how as the vet tech that gave you the remedy for him -- here is a website to find a reptile vet in your area www.arav.org if your in a small area then I would type in zip code in a bigger area close to you --

Here's some info on giving activated charcoal to beardies: "The activated charcoal should be mixed at around 1/16tsp (very small pinch) of charcoal in 10ml of water. Then the mixture should be administered based on body weight.
Thank you so much Sadie, you have been a HUGE help. I will use that website and definitely find a different veterinary. I have activated charcoal arriving at my place tomorrow morning and in the mean time I have given him the herb detox. He was not happy about it but since doing that, he has even started moving a bit more. I will continue to monitor. Thank you again, really

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much Sadie, you have been a HUGE help. I will use that website and definitely find a different veterinary. I have activated charcoal arriving at my place tomorrow morning and in the mean time I have given him the herb detox. He was not happy about it but since doing that, he has even started moving a bit more. I will continue to monitor. Thank you again, really
Ok good I am glad to hear he is moving --- do you have a CHE for your tank ? If so you might want to keep him a little warmer over nite -- like your tank around 80 or so - it will help his immune system better since hes not feeling so good -- you can also place a heating pad in the tank on LOW and wrap a dish towel around it that will help w/ some heat in the tank --- ambient temps is what you want

TwiggyFish

Bearded Dragon Egg
I do hace a CHE, I will do that. I had been debating on that too, thank you. Since my last post he unfortunately has developed worsening behaviour. I used that website though and the next closest reptile veterinarian specialist is 2 hours from where I live but I will be taking him in for a second opinion.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do hace a CHE, I will do that. I had been debating on that too, thank you. Since my last post he unfortunately has developed worsening behaviour. I used that website though and the next closest reptile veterinarian specialist is 2 hours from where I live but I will be taking him in for a second opinion.
Continue to give the detoxans to him --- you want to get as much out of his system as you can -- and that vet should be a certified reptile vet so that is good you found one --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Continue to give the detoxans to him --- you want to get as much out of his system as you can -- and that vet should be a certified reptile vet so that is good you found one --
Tracie finally got back w/ me
Hello,

How is your little Dino doing today, any improvements?
How long is he supposed to be on the Baytril for?
The bloodwork doesn't look too bad. The uric acid (kidney function) is well within range & so is
the AST (liver enzymes), too for now.
The calcium to phosphorus ratio is off a bit. What type of supplementation are you giving & how
often do you provide that to him?
Be sure to keep him well hydrated right now, if he is still on Baytril. Have you been giving him any
probiotics also?

Let us know how he is doing.