• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking temp,

Jenndaggett530

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a juvenile male bearded dragon, I named him viserion. I just put him in a 75 gallon tank a couple days ago, I mounted the uvb light, and got a 100watt light bulb, but the basking temp doesn't seem to reach over 95. I'm using a temp gun, so I'm not sure if it's that or not. Also, I used non adhesive shelf liner and I can't get the moisture down under 40%. Should I buy a mini dehumidifier? Should 8 buy 150 watt bulb? I don't want to burn him. I'm still working on the right decor and mabe a bigger stick

Attachments

• Resized_20220915_151752.jpeg
    Resized_20220915_151752.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got a juvenile male bearded dragon, I named him viserion. I just put him in a 75 gallon tank a couple days ago, I mounted the uvb light, and got a 100watt light bulb, but the basking temp doesn't seem to reach over 95. I'm using a temp gun, so I'm not sure if it's that or not. Also, I used non adhesive shelf liner and I can't get the moisture down under 40%. Should I buy a mini dehumidifier? Should 8 buy 150 watt bulb? I don't want to burn him. I'm still working on the right decor and mabe a bigger stick
You want a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps--- 95-100 for a adult/ juvie dragon-- temp guns are ok for solid surfaces and even then they can be thrown off by the material they are made out of- hammocks you want the probe and also to make sure your getting accurate temps --- the UVB it looks like a T 8 is that what it is? Your humidity is good --- I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer place on the back center wall of the tank --

Jenndaggett530

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps--- 95-100 for a adult/ juvie dragon-- temp guns are ok for solid surfaces and even then they can be thrown off by the material they are made out of- hammocks you want the probe and also to make sure your getting accurate temps --- the UVB it looks like a T 8 is that what it is? Your humidity is good --- I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer place on the back center wall of the tank --
Yes it is a t8, great. Thank you. I have do everything so much research, my brain is over loaded. Lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it is a t8, great. Thank you. I have do everything so much research, my brain is over loaded. Lol
Ok so for a 75 gallon tank I recommend you upgrade that to a 24" Zoo Med w/ a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - it's more suited for that size- for now make sure there's no clear plastic cover over bulb and distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - that is going to change when you upgrade to the 24" fixture and bulb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I should remove the plastic reflector until I upgrade to the 24?
The reflector is a silver looking strip behind the bulb leave that do not remove ONLY the clear plastic cover over the bulb-- leave it off you want the bulb exposed

Jenndaggett530

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK thank you. I did get 150 watt bulb for basking and I can tell he's much happier, lighter in color, now just a little gaping,not at lot,so it's not too hot