• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Temp

1st Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello All,

We are 1st time bearded dragon parents and have a question about proper tank temps. My son and I set up a new 40 gallon vivararium prior to getting our first young beardie today. I wanted to ensure the environment would be perfect before introducing the bearded dragon. The temp I was getting at first on the basking side was too low... 85.6 during the day, so today I purchased a 100W Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot bulb and the temp now raised to 99.1 on the basking spot/ about 90 degrees on the tank wall. It is a bit lower than the tank at the pet shop (a little over 100) Is this a safe temp for a young beardie? He is about 4-6 weeks old and I read they require higher temps. This is his or her first day home and so far he seems very content, alert and active. Should I purchase a 150W Intense or is the 99 degree temp alright?

Attachments

• C6090371-D486-4473-A692-613135D46C5C.jpeg
    C6090371-D486-4473-A692-613135D46C5C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 4BE91349-524E-41CC-AF1B-74465C45388E.jpeg
    4BE91349-524E-41CC-AF1B-74465C45388E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • AC8F7425-153B-42A0-AFFB-7B03D976D386.jpeg
    AC8F7425-153B-42A0-AFFB-7B03D976D386.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30

1st Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok welcome to beardie world------ his basking temp should be 105-110 for him --- try and set up a gradient of temps meaning a piece of decor that offers different basking temps and he will sit where he wants- next another very crucial thing is your UVB--- it needs to be a tube not a coil--- I recommend a Reptisun 10.0 either the T 8 or a T 5--- I can give you info on those if you need it please ask ---the next thing is he will go thru relocation stress so his eating will slow down it should not completely quit----------- if he completely quits eating there is a problem---- feed him vegies in the morning first thing w/ some small super worms or wax worms on top of salad and some BSFL you will need to order those on line they are a great staple feeder as well as the crickets or dubias roaches ---make sure you add the BSFL or and super worms they need to be small no bigger than the space between his eyes - do this so he can see you doing it this will draw his attention to the bowl ------ the insects will need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week - I use Repitvite as it contains beta carotene and not the synthetic Vit A--- here is a website for nutrition - feed him as many insects as he will eat in a 10 minute time frame- but let him eat those worms and vegies first - this will get him to start eating vegies - do not let him get hooked on worms as you will have a hard time later on down the road --- so work on your basking temp or you will get undigested food -- and the UVB as well that will also get him to quit eating if it is not correct---- lighting is key to good overall health of your dragon --- if you have any more questions please ask
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
https://symtonbsf.com/ BSFL good staple and do not need to dust - they are small and I use to lure Blaze to bowl for vegies ---

Thank you so much for the wonderful information! I actually do have a coil for UVB, it came with the tank, it’s from a company called Thrive. I did read some controversial things about them but also some good things as well. Very hard to know what’s the best decision! I’m going to try to maybe raise the wood branch in the tank closer to the light to get a higher temp on the basking spot. Again, thank you so much for the info and quick response, I’m definitely going to use it.. and if you have info about the tube UVB I’ll definitely switch. It makes me uneasy to something that may harm him.

1st Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for the wonderful information! I actually do have a coil for UVB, it came with the tank, it’s from a company called Thrive. I did read some controversial things about them but also some good things as well. Very hard to know what’s the best decision! I’m going to try to maybe raise the wood branch in the tank closer to the light to get a higher temp on the basking spot. Again, thank you so much for the info and quick response, I’m definitely going to use it.. and if you have info about the tube UVB I’ll definitely switch. It makes me uneasy to something that may harm him.

Also, I just to add that he is opening him mouth a lot and from what I’ve read, that means he is at his optimal temp? Just wanted to be sure. The domes that I have can only support 100W max so if I were to purchase 150W bulbs, I would also have to purchase the domes as well :/

1st Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, I am definitely going to switch to the Reptisun tube. One question though.. does the tube have to run the entire length of the tank or do I place it next to the heat bulb? I’ve seen tanks set up both ways and not sure which is best. I’ll add a picture of how the tank looks. Also, he is starting to close one eye and I’m worried it is because of the bulb. Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 27

1st Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do not get the fixture full length--- he needs to be able to escape the rays of the UVB so it looks like a 40 gallon I would get a 24" -- the T 5 bulb would be able to sit on top of your screen w/ basking area 12-15 inches from spot --- if you have any more questions please ask -- if you need to and can do this shut the coil off and take him outside every day till your fixture and bulb is there --- 15 minutes in direct sun is = to 4 hrs of UVB-- you can put him in a plastic tote w/ no lid -- no glass it gets too hot
Karrie

Thank you so much for all of your help. His color also looks darker today, not sure why. I wish I could bring him outside... the high for today is low 60’s and Saturday the high will be 70.