• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking temp in my zen habitat

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
I recently got a 4x2x2 zen habitat and I mounted the uvb in the tank with ease however e basking spot isn’t hitting the proper temps. Highest it has been was 88°F and I have a zoomed 150w. Is there a way I can mount this in the cage or should I buy a second fixture and a second bulb?

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I recently got a 4x2x2 zen habitat and I mounted the uvb in the tank with ease however e basking spot isn’t hitting the proper temps. Highest it has been was 88°F and I have a zoomed 150w. Is there a way I can mount this in the cage or should I buy a second fixture and a second bulb?

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That does not seems right. Are you sure your thermostat is good? also 150 wats is two high. For adult they need 95-100 degrees for baby they need 100-110. I use 100 wat build for frank and it works fine try buying your thermostat right under the bulb and see what is measurses then I think we will know if it’s the bulb or the distance. And also you should in,y need 75-100 wats

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That does not seems right. Are you sure your thermostat is good? also 150 wats is two high. For adult they need 95-100 degrees for baby they need 100-110. I use 100 wat build for frank and it works fine try buying your thermostat right under the bulb and see what is measurses then I think we will know if it’s the bulb or the distance. And also you should in,y need 75-100 wats
I have a Zen as well I use a 150 watt plus extra heat dome next to it w/ a 75 watt BUT I use a digital probe thermometer to get temps -- No stick ons-- I also have a piece of decor that gives a gradient heat under those bulbs my basking bulbs are on top of the screen-- gradient heat on different spots on the decor piece go from 92-107

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
It’s strange even when he was in a 40 gallon I got a 75w and it wouldn’t hit proper temps. Then I got 100w and it was the same issue. The 150 was the only thing that would get his basking spot to 96-98°f. Now that it’s a higher tank and higher space between the lamp and the spot plus it’s a larger enclosure the temps can’t reach over 87 even with my 100w ceramic heat emitter. He’s about 6-7 months old now.

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
I have a Zen as well I use a 150 watt plus extra heat dome next to it w/ a 75 watt BUT I use a digital probe thermometer to get temps -- No stick ons-- I also have a piece of decor that gives a gradient heat under those bulbs my basking bulbs are on top of the screen-- gradient heat on different spots on the decor piece go from 92-107
image.jpg

Here’s his tank and setup now. The rubber mat is on the way and that is said to increase the temps a bit. But would you recommend getting an extra 50-75w bulb? Currently the temp on basking spot is 88.7 with 150w basking bulb and 100w heat emitter. The cool side is 75.7.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 26760
Here’s his tank and setup now. The rubber mat is on the way and that is said to increase the temps a bit. But would you recommend getting an extra 50-75w bulb? Currently the temp on basking spot is 88.7 with 150w basking bulb and 100w heat emitter. The cool side is 75.7.

View attachment 26760
I am posting a pic of my Zen please take the digital probe and put it on the basking spot where he sits - right now your getting ambient temps-- where is your UVB? I would not do anything till you get a accurate basking temp- I would look at getting a different decor piece for basking decor and move your hide to the cool side of the tank - I use two hides in my tank the one under the UVB -- I also am using a regular household bulb NO LED's 60 watt bulb over the UVB center of tank --- it keeps temps in the 90's there -- you want cool side of the tank 80's -- my CHE is on the back center of tank and only used when the tank is 65 or below in the winter at this time its not on--

Attachments

• Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 175

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I’m going to working on getting more decor now that I have a bigger setup. The UVB is right behind the basking bulb zip tied to the top of the tank. So I will want to touch the surface of whatever he is sitting on to get basking temp?

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Hi! I would like to know more about this gradient piece of decor & where you purchased it. Thanks!
So you use a 150 plus a 75 in two domes on top of cage? This is the enclosure i will be getting so the help is appreciated!
I’m struggling with basking temps in a 40 breeder, 100 watt reads 120, a 75 watt reads 94. I used the 75 for 2 days & today the poo was runny & not really wanting food. Was doing fine with the 100 so I put that back in. Use vivarium electronics probe. Not basking today?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I’m going to working on getting more decor now that I have a bigger setup. The UVB is right behind the basking bulb zip tied to the top of the tank. So I will want to touch the surface of whatever he is sitting on to get basking temp?
What is the bulb your using? Brand and bulb ? T 5 or T 8----- it needs to be the T 5 for your tank size --- as of right now I am gonna say its too far away ---look at my tank -- distance is 12-15 inches from the rock decor --- its a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- you need to get this set up correctly or your gonna have issues w/ him not eating--- yes place the probe where he sits for 10 minutes thats going to give you correct temp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I would like to know more about this gradient piece of decor & where you purchased it. Thanks!
So you use a 150 plus a 75 in two domes on top of cage? This is the enclosure i will be getting so the help is appreciated!
I’m struggling with basking temps in a 40 breeder, 100 watt reads 120, a 75 watt reads 94. I used the 75 for 2 days & today the poo was runny & not really wanting food. Was doing fine with the 100 so I put that back in. Use vivarium electronics probe. Not basking today?
Can you post on a thread of your own I so dont get the two of you mixed up -- I will help you getting the tank set up -- look at my tank and the piece Blaze is sitting on it came from Pet Smart

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
What is the bulb your using? Brand and bulb ? T 5 or T 8----- it needs to be the T 5 for your tank size --- as of right now I am gonna say its too far away ---look at my tank -- distance is 12-15 inches from the rock decor --- its a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- you need to get this set up correctly or your gonna have issues w/ him not eating--- yes place the probe where he sits for 10 minutes thats going to give you correct temp
I have a 22”reptisun 10.0 t5. He has been having some trouble eating. He eats hornworms and mealworms, and collard greens with no problem but sometimes he doesn’t really eat much all day and he always is in his hide laying down. When I get home from work I’ll lower the uvb light.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 22”reptisun 10.0 t5. He has been having some trouble eating. He eats hornworms and mealworms, and collard greens with no problem but sometimes he doesn’t really eat much all day and he always is in his hide laying down. When I get home from work I’ll lower the uvb light.
This would be a reason for him not eating or barely eating --- hes not getting enough UVB and therefore cannot absorb/ synthesize the calcium hes eating or getting in his food -- if hes not basking under the basking light either that too is a issue --- you need proper basking temps meaning not too hot or too cold -- if the temp on the top of that platform is over 110 its too hot if its under 95 its too cool --- please get a different basking piece under the basking light and UVB --- check out Pet Smart they have really nice decor for dragons -- you want something thats going to give a gradient heat --- like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
Go look this piece I posted can be layed in the tank different ways --- I have mine set up so hes getting different temps w/ the way its layed in there

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
This would be a reason for him not eating or barely eating --- hes not getting enough UVB and therefore cannot absorb/ synthesize the calcium hes eating or getting in his food -- if hes not basking under the basking light either that too is a issue --- you need proper basking temps meaning not too hot or too cold -- if the temp on the top of that platform is over 110 its too hot if its under 95 its too cool --- please get a different basking piece under the basking light and UVB --- check out Pet Smart they have really nice decor for dragons -- you want something thats going to give a gradient heat --- like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
Go look this piece I posted can be layed in the tank different ways --- I have mine set up so hes getting different temps w/ the way its layed in there
So I bought a new basking spot this is the temp I am getting. Am I doing it correctly? If so that temp is way too hot and should I try to go to a 100w.

Attachments

• E5BC346F-7521-46F4-AFA6-A6124C6E0E90.jpeg
    E5BC346F-7521-46F4-AFA6-A6124C6E0E90.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 172
  • 41155A22-DAEE-43A1-921B-16C4D1EB40B0.jpeg
    41155A22-DAEE-43A1-921B-16C4D1EB40B0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I bought a new basking spot this is the temp I am getting. Am I doing it correctly? If so that temp is way too hot and should I try to go to a 100w.
Yes drop the wattage and watch what it does for temp -- you need to lower the UVB if that is a T 5 or a 12% bulb -- the distance looks too high -- it needs to be 12-15 inches w/ basking decor directly under it -- you want your dragon to be able to sit directly under it -- look at the pic of my tank --- if you need something else for hanging let me know the stuff I use I get at Home Depot and it works great --

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
Yes drop the wattage and watch what it does for temp -- you need to lower the UVB if that is a T 5 or a 12% bulb -- the distance looks too high -- it needs to be 12-15 inches w/ basking decor directly under it -- you want your dragon to be able to sit directly under it -- look at the pic of my tank --- if you need something else for hanging let me know the stuff I use I get at Home Depot and it works great --
I ended up turning the piece so that the basking spot wasn't so high and now the spot is 98. Im going to be lowering the t5 today as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ended up turning the piece so that the basking spot wasn't so high and now the spot is 98. Im going to be lowering the t5 today as well.
Sound good -- let me know if you need more help and if his behavior has changed

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Please get a strip uvb build you want will want a 10.0 t5 reptile sun reaplse it every 6-8 months,

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
I have the exact same one from Zen habits. Mine is pvc so I have 2 under the tank heating pads and a 150watt basking bulb on the outside top and my temperature is 100-103

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
So it has been a few days and the basking spot is hitting 95-105 depending on the day as we do not have the heat or A/C on currently. It its on the warmer side i turn my ceiling fan on and that helps cool it to 100 or so. He is definitely basking more often and I also lowered the UVB light a few inches with longer zip ties.