• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Light Lamp - Works only 2 months

TicaTaco

Bearded Dragon Egg
We bought our basking light lamp in April. The light bulb only lasts about 2 months. I have changed it already about 5 times. Is this normal or do I have a lemon? I doesn’t get touched. The last 2 times it has gone out, no one was near it or touching it. I was in the other room when I noticed it had gone out. It is from ZooMed and purchased it at a nearby Reptile Store. They said this is normal but I just think it goes out too quickly. I still have the receipt from when I purchased it. I’m attaching a pic so you can see how it is placed.

Attachments

• F0187B28-A894-44DE-A9D7-0C2148F06AD1.jpeg
    F0187B28-A894-44DE-A9D7-0C2148F06AD1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Check the wattage of the basking bulb you're using, and then the maximum wattage of your light fixture. If the fixture can't handle the bulb, it will make it blow out too soon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Check what hooman advised first then if its correct you might have a faulty fixture-- we need to start ruling out causes- it seems odd to have that many going out -

mtalbot9

Bearded Dragon Egg
I though basking bulbs only lasted 2 months?
Typically a basking bulb will pop/burn out because the bulb is in too small of a fixture, gets too hot, and the actually parts inside die from the heat. If you have a properly fitted dome for your bulb it shouldn't burn out in 2 months. Sometimes they burn out because wiring is bad, but that is less likely. Typically they are good to go until they burn out, they generally release the same amount of heat as long as they are working. Honestly, if you were able to add some sort of heat sink to the domes they could last a long time, but I haven't figured out a way to safely do that yet.

UVB lights do need to be replaced every 6 months or so. They burn cool so they'll likely never pop or go out on you like heat bulbs. Just that the UVB released diminishes over time.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
We bought our basking light lamp in April. The light bulb only lasts about 2 months. I have changed it already about 5 times. Is this normal or do I have a lemon? I doesn’t get touched. The last 2 times it has gone out, no one was near it or touching it. I was in the other room when I noticed it had gone out. It is from ZooMed and purchased it at a nearby Reptile Store. They said this is normal but I just think it god’s out too quickly. I still have the receipt from when I purchased it. I’m attaching a pic so you can see how it is placed.
Zoomed is the beat brand. If u bump Amd hit and bang it it will break. But; U can return it or exchange it or buy another one put the old one in the box go with your receipt and return the old one & say it doesn’t work. U can return anything if u are creative.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Zoomed is the beat brand. If u bump Amd hit and bang it it will break. But; U can return it or exchange it or buy another one put the old one in the box go with your receipt and return the old one & say it doesn’t work. U can return anything if u are creative.
Also make sure u replace the UVB light every 6mnths religiously.