• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking lamp Q

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
What wattage basking flood lamp would you get for a 100 gallon tank? It’s 27” deep.

I know it’s not an exact science but what would your best guess be? I’ll get a dimmer too.

Thanks.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
What wattage basking flood lamp would you get for a 100 gallon tank? It’s 27” deep.

I know it’s not an exact science but what would your best guess be? I’ll get a dimmer too.

Thanks.
27” tall? id say 150 watt or 200 watt but thats with an exo terra/zoomed intensive basking bulb, you could also build a basking spot higher in the tank so take that into consideration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah 27 tall.

I was planning on using a halogen flood bulb, not a reptile specific one. Does it make a difference?

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah 27 tall.

I was planning on using a halogen flood bulb, not a reptile specific one. Does it make a difference?
not really, i just dont know much about intensity/distance ratio on those if anything. i wonder if you can find a chart online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
It’s still confusing though.... some of those temps are super high. I know they stay there measuring it on the black metal desk but still. Their main point is that you just have to check temps and go from there.

I might start with a 90 or 100 and see how it goes.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A 27” tank is real tall for a dragon. It’s going to be tough to balance heat and UVB. Also, dragons are clumsy and have poor depth perception. Add weight of an older dragon, and they can really get hurt if they fall from a distance.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It doesn’t sound like much but I have heard people have more trouble trying to get the temps right in a tall tank. It can be done but it takes patience.

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
I got a 90 watt and a dimmer. I couldn't find anything higher than a 90 watt in Home Depot or Lowes. I don't have the screen top for the tank yet so can't test it. If the 90 isn't sufficient, I'll have to find a higher wattage online.