• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

basking bulb safety

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
would it be safe to hang a basking bulb without a dome like .5-1” from the top of the inside of enclosure in a wood 4x2x2 enclosure? (meaning for my beardie not the enclosure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
yeah, as long as your dragon cant get closer than 6 inches from the bulb. A fixture that screws onto the roof of your viv would be better though, I use Komodo 200w ceramic fixtures, they seem to work very well

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
yeah, as long as your dragon cant get closer than 6 inches from the bulb. A fixture that screws onto the roof of your viv would be better though, I use Komodo 200w ceramic fixtures, they seem to work very well

im worried about him trying to jump or climb on to it even that far away, would it be better to have a dome or no dome?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They sell light cages that you can put around your light so they don't touch the bulb if they jump on it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's a legit concern of mine! I know I've seen tanks that don't have the bulb covered and I always wondered how the dragon doesn't try to jump to the light. Even the UVB lights that are mounted inside the tank, I feel like my dragons would have been on those in a heartbeat!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
It's a legit concern of mine! I know I've seen tanks that don't have the bulb covered and I always wondered how the dragon doesn't try to jump to the light. Even the UVB lights that are mounted inside the tank, I feel like my dragons would have been on those in a heartbeat!
22af637153e79a804b40654c824a35ef.jpg
my dragons not getting near the uvb LOL!! its probably 20-22in from the bottom

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My vivs are 2ft high and though I have covers for the spots I dont use them. As sprightly as they can be when little, they would have to be bionic to make that jump. Even if they could get close i thought the wire guards would only give them something to hang onto if they did by some miracle manage to get close enough. So for me all the guards do is diffuse the light and heat, if my vivs were much lower though I probably wouldnt risk not using them.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
My vivs are 2ft high and though I have covers for the spots I dont use them. As sprightly as they can be when little, they would have to be bionic to make that jump. Even if they could get close i thought the wire guards would only give them something to hang onto if they did by some miracle manage to get close enough. So for me all the guards do is diffuse the light and heat, if my vivs were much lower though I probably wouldnt risk not using them.

should i use the dome or no? i figured that gives them something to hang on as well