• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ball python and sand boa handling help?

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
does anyone have experience with these?i have a ball python whos a few months old that i got 4 weeks ago and hes been eating since i put him in his enclosure but had the nerve to strike at feeding tongs.ive been bit by a tokay before but was wondering if there was any way to calm him down or any safe handling tips in general for taking him out for the first time...ive never poked him or agitated him or anything so it really suprised me when he snapped back tonight.the sand boa i have is a female and shes just a little baby so aside from being a little skittish theres not much of a threat there and shes okay for the most part.im looking for any and all advice from someone with experience.lol im not looking forward to getting bit up...i think its the look of a snake striking that intimidates me above anything but ive gotta get over it.any handling and special care tips in general would be much appreciated though im sure both of their habitats fit them accordingly

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think the best snake handling care tip I ever received was to always feed in a different container. I am by no means any kind of expert though...

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
With Ball Pythons it is recommended to not try and handle them until after they have fed 5 times in in their new home. it is also recommended that handling be restricted to 15min intervals 3-4 times per week once you get past the 5 feedings and always wait at least 2 days AFTER feeding day for them to settle dowen and get out of the hunting mode.

Balls acutally don't enjoy being handled and some can get very stressed.

I am sorry but I really can't help with the Boa.

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i used to have 29 ball pythons and have not been bit. i have been grazed and nearly nipped but never bite. ask me anything and i will answer to the best of my ability.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I forgot to mention the no-handling-after-feeding rule! Shame on me!

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
on the subject of them being in hunting mode for a bit after feeding my ball doesnt really do that. if anything she gets hissy with me for putting her back in her tank. she loves being handled.

P.S also the reason it might be striking is becaues either:
*not getting enough food*
*cage defencive*
*cage temp is too high*
*or desperately needs handled and worked with*

P.S.S the age of the animal may be a factor too