• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

background

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Generally a BD will rip up an inside mounted Background & feeders will climb it, unless it is very, very smooth & durable. I always put mine on the outside.

Personally the idea of putting, covering the outside of an enclosure on 3 sides to prevent the reflection is a farce & makes more of a reflection. When I look directly out a window I see through it with very little reflection, but looking at a glass covered framed picture, the reflection is often heavy.

I have tried both ways & see very little difference in their activity as far as glass climbing & bumping. I use a Background for aesthetics & to cover the appearance of the unsightly wires etc, on the back only, not to prevent reflection. I feel the Glass dancing & bumping is more because they have a difficulty understanding the concept of 'Glass', not because they see their reflection. If anything I have found it worse with glass being covered, as it see it like they are trying to run off into the background they see.

Just my $.02 on the subject ;)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think a solid color, particularly black would increase the mirror effect. I have had Backgrounds (Back only) on all my glass enclosures since day one, has not had any ill effects on them what so ever. Mine still try to climb the walls on my solid enclosure with non-reflective sides. I don't think that can be prevented, they are a caged animal, escape is always an issue.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Personally I do use backgrounds on 3 sides on our tank enclosures but as Germ mentioned it is mainly for aesthetics and because I like it. I also use it to hide wires and most of my tanks have PVC light racks that I built to suspend my fixtures from. Those racks come done on the sides of the tanks so I wrap the background around the sides to hide them from view as well and again our creatures probably dont care whether they see pvc pipe or not so it's for my view only. Kind of "completes"the scene when viewed.
I can definitely say that it doesnt keep any of our kids from seeing reflections..the patterns sometimes seem to break them up a bit or maybe make the reflections more like shadows but they are still there and when for instance Mungi sees the shadow move he still goes after it. Watching for movement is how reptiles survive after all. lol I really think it comes to personal preference of what you want to see when you look at the enclosure. Your beardie will be just as happy eitherway as long as you are taking good care of him and providing his proper temps, food and light and enough space to freely move about in home..ie proper size enclosure.
Glass dancing happens to anyone kept in a confined place...Humans just call it Cabin Fever:D

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
It's good to know that adding the background doesn't stop them from seeing their reflection because I noticed that my beardie can STILL see his reflection even in the background and I was wondering if I did something wrong with it(Although all you have to do is put it on the glass, can't screw it up to much LOL) but again someone else told me to get a background because before he got whatever is going on with him now he would get SO distracted by his image that he wouldn't even pay attention to the crickets and so I put paper towel IN the enclosure which was a bad idea because I didn't realize crickets could climb so good! So I took those down and bought a background and at first he was very intrigued by it but then he got used to it so who knows! He still always stares at himself in the glass, I mean, why wouldn't he? He is VERY handsome! LOL...;)