• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Only Eats if Hand Fed! Vision Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We are first-time owners of a beardy that is probably about 2 mos old. We have had him for about 3 weeks. At first he wouldn't eat at all. He started eating after 1 week, but even now will still only eat if fed by hand! We have to squeeze the cricket or worm and put it to his mouth to get him to eat.

What's worse is that he shows no reaction whatsoever to the crickets when they are in his tank. They can crawl in front of him or even on him, but its like he doesn't even no they are there. I have actually started wondering whether he is blind or has a vision problem. His eyes are never wide open. They are always half-way or completely closed, or he is just sleeping. He is not very active at all and shows no interest or reaction to his surroundings. We have put him in a small bowl with a cricket and even then he just sits there - its like he doesn't know the cricket is there! Is a vision or other problem possible?

I am pretty confident that his tank is properly set-up. He gets his 12 or more hours of UV light and the rest of the time with no light. The hight and low temperatures are within the proper range. We always have water available or spray him. His tank is kept clean. We pull any live crickets out before turning off the lamp. There is only one fairly small rock in the tank and it is lined with paper towels.

I am perplexed and wonder if there is really something wrong with the little guy. Please let me know your thoughts.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Steve. I apologize that it has taken so long for someone to get back to you. We have acquired the bearded dragon forum and I am the Administrator as of today.

First, how is your little guy doing?

Couple of thoughts/questions -

1. It could be relocation stress. Young beardies can go through this when taken to a new home. He should be coming out of it though.

2. Although my herp vet says otherwise, it is highly recommended not to leave crickets in a viv after 10-15 minutes. It is said that a bearded dragon will eat what they want in the first 10 minutes of putting the crickets in there.

3. What brand of UVB light are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.