• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby food

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've heard a lot of people giving baby food ( fruit n veg) to their dragons as a treat from time to time. I was wondering if it is actually ok?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've used organic baby food as a base in slurries when I needed to make them, but I've never used it as a supplement to a normal diet. I don't see why it would be a problem if you get a good baby food that has no preservatives or hidden ingredients.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just check your labels and ingredients. It probably won't be as big a deal for you, as most countries have stricter standards than the US for what goes on their grocery shelves.

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Says 100% fruit, no added sugar or sweetness, no artificial flavours, no colourings or preservatives and no gluten, egg or dairy.

It's apple, strawberry and banana.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's not used as a treat. It's used mainly in slurries when they are sick or not eating and when you have to force feed them.

It's used as a base for all the supplements and liquid you put into the slurry.

I personally wouldn't give them baby food as a treat. But that's my opinion because I've been thru the slurries before and it is an awful experience.

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use to make slurry for them when I 1st got them.
I was just gonna give them a tea spoon ( 5ml) mixed with calci dust. They haven't touched their salad today not even with worms in it. They looked at it and walked away. I just wanna try make sure they get their calcium because they still need high dose of it especially dinky I'm just gonna put a bit on spoon not force food them with a syringe. And hope they eat a little bit

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's normal for them to not want to eat during brumation but I totally understand why you are doing it and if it helps get them their calcium then I would do it too! I hate brumation!!! Why do they have to go to sleep for days?

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Dinky is actually started being more active again now lol. She is a little nightmare at times lol.
If she eats it I'll post video.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Who wouldn't love a fruit smoothie haha. I'm glad she liked it. Little did she know it was full of good supplements!

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Blinky loved it aswell lol
f8420f381d2ce60e8d2533598bda540e.jpg

Dinky
2b672b2953f969e89551d4515941c370.jpg

Will post video of dinky as soon as it's uploaded to you tube

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@Dinky-Blinky I was just talking to people about this on FB yesterday because someone asked me. Actually don't be surprised if you see a post about it next Tuesday. I have a friend who has two ADV positive dragons and she is making slurries all the time. Her answer and her vets answer is that baby food in large amounts can cause diarrhea which leads to dehydration, it can cause hypervitaminosis, hyperkalemia, there's too much sugar and too much sodium and that is just stage 1 baby food. When you get to stage 2 types of food you then have to figure in the preservatives. It's okay to use a tiny amount as a base for your slurries but don't feed it in excess.

I think it's best to make your own "baby food", this way you control what goes in it and you know exactly what your beardie is getting.

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
I normally make my Lizz scrambled eggs with calcium powder and vitamins mixed in when I want to give her a bit of extra calcium, she loves it and easily eats a whole egg.

Also hello, I have been lurking for a while and decided to finally make an account

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
@Dinky-Blinky I was just talking to people about this on FB yesterday because someone asked me. Actually don't be surprised if you see a post about it next Tuesday. I have a friend who has two ADV positive dragons and she is making slurries all the time. Her answer and her vets answer is that baby food in large amounts can cause diarrhea which leads to dehydration, it can cause hypervitaminosis, hyperkalemia, there's too much sugar and too much sodium and that is just stage 1 baby food. When you get to stage 2 types of food you then have to figure in the preservatives. It's okay to use a tiny amount as a base for your slurries but don't feed it in excess.

I think it's best to make your own "baby food", this way you control what goes in it and you know exactly what your beardie is getting.
It was just stage 1 I gave them n about a tea spoon each so not much at all. N i made sure it was just 100% pure fruit with nothing added at all. Just so that they had their calcium because neither of them had eaten anything yesterday. They have eaten their worms and loctus today covered in calcium. So I'm a happy mummy.

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I normally make my Lizz scrambled eggs with calcium powder and vitamins mixed in when I want to give her a bit of extra calcium, she loves it and easily eats a whole egg.

Also hello, I have been lurking for a while and decided to finally make an account
Hello

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Years ago when I had my blue tongue skink we fed her baby food mixed with calcium all the time and she loved it. She really liked the fruits. She lapped it out of her dish and wife used a damp paper towel to clean her up when she was done.