• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Dragons

SavageSiren317

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello my Bearded is about a month old. I'm wondering what type of things I should wait on in terms of routine care and activities.
As of now I don't think he has graduated from being held over his enclosure as he jumped out of my hands and onto my desk yesterday. He didn't get far but certainly a moment of panic for mom. He also climbed out of his enclosure in the process of me putting him back in and iv noticed he seems to be trying to do this alot. He has a log to climb on where one end is at the bottom and one is at the top of his enclosure by the lid and he is smart enough to know the higher end is where he can get out. I handle him daily but not for long yet basically just untill I feel like he's trying to get out of my hand. I was just testing him yesterday.
So obviously I don't feel like he is ready to explore anywhere or go outside or anything. He's too small and too fast if he wants to get away it will be too easy. I was thinking maybe constructing some kind of beardie baby play pen big enough I can also be in so that he can climb around on me but is contained if he decides to make a break for it.
But as far as say giving him a bath, is this something I should wait on or start now? I want him to get used to things and know the sooner I start the better but at the same time want him to be safe and healthy. Plus I'd like to minimize any fugitive lizard attempts so if there's things that can wait till he's a little bigger and less apt to take off like a bolt of lighting I'd rather wait.
So my question is do I start doing all the typical things involved in caring for a bearded dragon or are there certain things that should be held off untill they are bigger and if so what?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello my Bearded is about a month old. I'm wondering what type of things I should wait on in terms of routine care and activities.
As of now I don't think he has graduated from being held over his enclosure as he jumped out of my hands and onto my desk yesterday. He didn't get far but certainly a moment of panic for mom. He also climbed out of his enclosure in the process of me putting him back in and iv noticed he seems to be trying to do this alot. He has a log to climb on where one end is at the bottom and one is at the top of his enclosure by the lid and he is smart enough to know the higher end is where he can get out. I handle him daily but not for long yet basically just untill I feel like he's trying to get out of my hand. I was just testing him yesterday.
So obviously I don't feel like he is ready to explore anywhere or go outside or anything. He's too small and too fast if he wants to get away it will be too easy. I was thinking maybe constructing some kind of beardie baby play pen big enough I can also be in so that he can climb around on me but is contained if he decides to make a break for it.
But as far as say giving him a bath, is this something I should wait on or start now? I want him to get used to things and know the sooner I start the better but at the same time want him to be safe and healthy. Plus I'd like to minimize any fugitive lizard attempts so if there's things that can wait till he's a little bigger and less apt to take off like a bolt of lighting I'd rather wait.
So my question is do I start doing all the typical things involved in caring for a bearded dragon or are there certain things that should be held off untill they are bigger and if so what?
Your baby needs to acclimate to his tank and I would hold off doing any activity outside the tank ---- he needs to get used to the surroundings and babies jump constantly -- they think they are superman and can fly--- right now you need to focus on the lighting in the tank -- I am going to post things you need to get NOW if you do not have them -- first a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where he basks --- next a long tube fixture 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Acradia w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- NO COILS-- they are NO good ----- these things I have posted are the MOST important things in that tank --- they will control the overall behavior and health of your dragon ---- NO COLORED BULBS NO HEAT MATS OR ROCKS AND NO SAND!! Baths should not be given now --- please start feeding salads now rinse the greens before serving he will get most of the moisture from them
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --feed the salad first thing in the morning before you feed the main staple feeder make sure your dusting the staple feeder insect 5 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding-- get some BSFL order medium they are small and hes a month old add these to the salads in front of him to lure him to the bowl feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies DO NOT DUST THEM -- make sure you are feeding insects no bigger than the space between the eye length wise ---also make sure your gut loading those insects best to feed at nite so when feeding in the morning they are freshly gut loaded he will get moisture from the insects as well --- I recommend dubia roaches for a staple feeder they are easier to care for and they are more nutritious than crickets --- www.dubiaroaches.com they have a chart for sizing roaches -- use discount code JULY42021-- --this code good till the end of the month -- keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium or tote and feed dubia food along w/ water crystals you can also feed carrots squash and fruit --- I would order like 200 at a time - between the roaches and the BSFL and the salads he will have a good diet going -- he may not eat alot of salads now but you want him eating some --- the main diet is going to be his protein it will flip when he turns a year or so old - any more questions or help please ask - you can also order some small super worms but only feed like 1-3 on his salad -- his a bowl you will need or something similar to glass or ceramic
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Usually after 2 months you can start doing everything you normally would :) that’s when i started baths with a toothbrush and going outside (tie a string around his back legs) watch for birds (especially crows they’re so ballsy!)