• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardy not happy

rachi_lou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi we bought our first bearded dragon home last week and it just doesn’t seem very happy. He is around 2 months old and spends a lot of time on a branch in the cool end and never seems to bask. He isn’t fussed about eating crickets in the morning but will have around 8 in the afternoon. Never seen him touch his greens. He has only pooped twice in 6 days.

He is in a full size, 4ft tank, sorry UK so don’t know gallons. He is on sand as all the reptile centres locally said this was most natural and what they use but happy to switch this out.

He has a full length Arcadia 10% UV tube and 100w basking floodlight. Temps are around 41oc basking and 26oc cool end. This is measured with a two prong digital thermometer but I have today ordered a temp gun to be sure. Lights are on for 12 hours a day and doesn’t get below 20oc at night.

Will try and upload a photo of the set up. He has been awake for 2 hours and is currently watching crickets bop around him!

rachi_lou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for you reply. I’ve saved the photo to drop box and that’s the link but where do i post it so it shows the photo?

rachi_lou

Bearded Dragon Egg
He cannot get away from the UVB -- that is not good --- he needs a hide --- I know its only a 10% bulb and not as strong as a 14 or 12 % but he needs to be able to sit under it --- and get away from it when he wants -- here is a pic of my tank its a 4x2x2 or 120 gallon -- https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPwsMn2E7uYUtoYGMKoRIS37bhqDAxjxRBYos0n
I would look at getting rid of the full length UVB and getting one that is 2/3 or less like a 24 inch fixture --- and a Arcadia14% bulb -- it needs to be inside the tank approx 13 inches from basking area-- he needs to be able to sit directly under it --- the basking temps make sure you get w / that heat gun and I would get something for him to be able to sit in different spots for basking -- it looks like he has one spot -- you want him to have a gradient to where he can pick a temp he likes---
kaylyn[/QUOTE
Thank you. The tube is inside the tank and I’ll try and switch it out for a shorter one. It’s so frustrating as the reptile centre said not to get a hide or he’ll spend all the time in it and not got enough UVB. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it.

rachi_lou

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got him a hide today and another log for the warm side which he has been on already. I’ve feed him in a separate container as he doesn’t seem to have the energy to chase after the crickets and he’s had 7 and will try again later.

Is the sand paper you line bird cage with suitable for reptiles? as I can easily get hold of that.

rachi_lou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes he’s got a log that end as well now and has spent a good few hours on that today. He did a poo after his bath today and has been much more active this afternoon. I think he’s had about 12 crickets today in total but was able to chase them round at the 2nd feed. Seems much brighter since he’s been able to get closer to the heat lamp.

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
Hi we bought our first bearded dragon home last week and it just doesn’t seem very happy. He is around 2 months old and spends a lot of time on a branch in the cool end and never seems to bask. He isn’t fussed about eating crickets in the morning but will have around 8 in the afternoon. Never seen him touch his greens. He has only pooped twice in 6 days.

He is in a full size, 4ft tank, sorry UK so don’t know gallons. He is on sand as all the reptile centres locally said this was most natural and what they use but happy to switch this out.

He has a full length Arcadia 10% UV tube and 100w basking floodlight. Temps are around 41oc basking and 26oc cool end. This is measured with a two prong digital thermometer but I have today ordered a temp gun to be sure. Lights are on for 12 hours a day and doesn’t get below 20oc at night.

Will try and upload a photo of the set up. He has been awake for 2 hours and is currently watching crickets bop around him!

Some people in US use Sand for Beardies, they often use the Calcium based "sand", make sure food is in a bowl and will stay contained, so your pet is less likely to be ingesting it when trying to get food. Some use bioactive method though that is pretty new and finding info on it is not so easy. We have used paper towels as substrate since we first got our beardie Hagrid in January - he was just 7 inches and 13 grams around 2 1/2 months old now he is nearing 300gm and is 18 inches long at about 9 months of age. I know some breeders use the calcium based "sand" since breeding females, well females in general, need something to burrow in. The other substrate I have heard of people using is coconut coir based. I know there is fear of ingestion but since these animals like to burrow not having the opportunity to do so just does not seem right. I guess by providing a hide you are providing them with a ready made burrow....personally we have used paper towels since our boy was tiny. In the last few months I have started adding in a variety of rocks and some times a section of a dense african hardwood like you see sold at reptile stores. I know many people say they don't need much but he seems to like checking things out, and explores different areas, depending on what I put in there and how I do it. I baked all in a moderate temp, around 225F oven for at least an hour, I clean the pieces as I do the rest of his cage and have baked things at least once a month so far. Probably because it is what he got used to, and I praised him and gave him treats when he did it, he goes to the bathroom on the papertowels 95% of the time. Unless we happen to be away from home I clean it up as soon as I notice that he has gone. Now that it is warm out I take him outside daily. Most days if I give him at least 20-30 minutes outside he usually goes to the bathroom outside. Of course his other favorite place to go is when soaking, or soon after.

that is just my novice 2 cents worth....

Ryan Stewart

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey! If you only got him a week ago (now about a week and a half I guess), He's probably stressed from the move and just needs time to adjust to his new environment. Beardies can be picky eaters, Here is an article with some ideas on how to get them to eat their greens. Despite what people online will tell you, sand does not CAUSE impaction, though it does increase the risk of it. Impaction is most commonly caused by dehydration and other husbandry mistakes. you can read about it here. The major issue that can happen with any loose substrate is that its harder to keep clean, so bear that in mind. Honestly my advice is to give him more time to adjust and if he's still not defecating frequently in a couple weeks then start to get more concerned.

rachi_lou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, I’ll have a read of those articles. We upped the temp a little and have been feeding him in a separate tub and he seems much happier now. He is calm when held and seems fine most of the day but always seems to have stress lines come up on his stomach about an hour before the lights go out. There’s no live insects in his tank and he sleeps fine either in the branch at the hot or cold end. The lines are always gone by the morning so not sure what’s causing them?

rachi_lou

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I spoke to a few people I know who all have reptiles and everyone said to keep the full length tube. The basking rock is around 12 inches from the UVB light so would I better changing to a 12%?

His stomach gets the dark the lines at the same time as his back is dark when he’s basking so not sure if stress or not then. I’ll try and attach a picture. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nscpv7sqomm1dqq/Photo 25-07-2019, 15 55 30.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for checking up on him, I really appreciate it.

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
They also darken when they are trying to warm up. That does not necessarily mean they are stressed. With ours, Hagrid, on the few occasions I have been really concerned, because he seemed off and his color was MUCH darker than usual taking him out and holding helped. He likes to cuddle anyway. Sometimes getting him out of his viv for a few minutes helps him reset if he is glass surfing, acting neurotic or whatever. And since our body temp is in a good mid range for them contact with our skin can also help warm them up too if that is part of the issue. Depending on the type/morph you have their darker lines (vessels) in their neck and belly are much easier to see than with a beardie with typical coloring.

Harveythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes always make sure your beardie has some where to hide my beardie is back in brumation and he crawls under his log to his bigger hideout to sleep but make sure he gets a lil closer to the basking light.