• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Beardie won't eat insects

DustOnTheWindow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Recently (in the past few days) Feanor's, really not been keen on roaches at all. They've still been pretty keen on eating butternut squash and any of their greens but roaches have just, not been something they've been interested in.

We've tried letting them eat them off our finger (as they'd preferred before), using tongs, placing them in a bowl in the viv, letting them just crawl off our hand and in front of Feanor for a while, and placing them in a square bowl with Feanor outside the viv (the last one just stresses Feanor out though, so we only tried it once). But they still won't, eat them nor even seem interested.

We assumed at first it was since we were presenting them on our finger, since we've been giving them medication for Coccidia (since the 11th, when it was detected there weren't any outwards symptoms) and they, probably don't like our hand too much right now due to that. Or just, reduced appetite due to them having Coccidia, but they're still perfectly willing to eat their squash or greens presented like this and from the bowl both.

And we're just, not sure what else to do since as much ad we're glad they're at least eating something they need their protein/calcium/multivitamins. We've ordered some black fly larvae and we can, see if the local pet store has the smaller crickets in stock in case it's just, that they've decided they're not up for roaches right now but I'm, concerned it won't work.

Note: lately we've also, once or twice come back in the room to find them just, a lot darker colored than usual and unwilling to move much for a while - returning to normal within an hour or so. Which has also been worrying us.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Recently (in the past few days) Feanor's, really not been keen on roaches at all. They've still been pretty keen on eating butternut squash and any of their greens but roaches have just, not been something they've been interested in.

We've tried letting them eat them off our finger (as they'd preferred before), using tongs, placing them in a bowl in the viv, letting them just crawl off our hand and in front of Feanor for a while, and placing them in a square bowl with Feanor outside the viv (the last one just stresses Feanor out though, so we only tried it once). But they still won't, eat them nor even seem interested.

We assumed at first it was since we were presenting them on our finger, since we've been giving them medication for Coccidia (since the 11th, when it was detected there weren't any outwards symptoms) and they, probably don't like our hand too much right now due to that. Or just, reduced appetite due to them having Coccidia, but they're still perfectly willing to eat their squash or greens presented like this and from the bowl both.

And we're just, not sure what else to do since as much ad we're glad they're at least eating something they need their protein/calcium/multivitamins. We've ordered some black fly larvae and we can, see if the local pet store has the smaller crickets in stock in case it's just, that they've decided they're not up for roaches right now but I'm, concerned it won't work.

Note: lately we've also, once or twice come back in the room to find them just, a lot darker colored than usual and unwilling to move much for a while - returning to normal within an hour or so. Which has also been worrying us.

So are you talking about more than 1 beardie here? If so are they in their own tanks? as cleaning is very important or they will re-infect eachother..
Few questions for you.. How long have you had Feanor? Have you double checked your husbandry? Example: check temps, new/old lighting? You would be surprised what a few degree's in temp change will do..How is his weight? You said your treating Coccidia are you giving him some probiotics?? These meds are extremely harsh on their natural gut flora so giving them probiotics to help restore their natural gut flora is important.. That brings me to when they are on meds their appetite can really be diminished/changed. Offer several different proteins to see about peaking it's interest. You say he will eat the greens you could get a powdered supplement called grub pie and see about doing some of that. I know it turns into a jelly like end product but you may be able to use it before it congeals on the salad or in a slurry?

DustOnTheWindow

Bearded Dragon Egg
So are you talking about more than 1 beardie here? If so are they in their own tanks? as cleaning is very important or they will re-infect eachother..
Few questions for you.. How long have you had Feanor? Have you double checked your husbandry? Example: check temps, new/old lighting? You would be surprised what a few degree's in temp change will do..How is his weight? You said your treating Coccidia are you giving him some probiotics?? These meds are extremely harsh on their natural gut flora so giving them probiotics to help restore their natural gut flora is important.. That brings me to when they are on meds their appetite can really be diminished/changed. Offer several different proteins to see about peaking it's interest. You say he will eat the greens you could get a powdered supplement called grub pie and see about doing some of that. I know it turns into a jelly like end product but you may be able to use it before it congeals on the salad or in a slurry?
No, Feanor's just to young to know their sex so we just tend to use they to refer to them and the habit sticks when typing. We only have one. I've checked all of the environmental parts - temperature and lighting included and they are at ideal weight.

We're only giving them what the vet gave us, which being only one bottle of medication I assume doesnt include a probiotic - is there a particular kind I should be getting for them for this/amount they need right now? The um, issues eating insects did however start a couple of days before treatment started.

I'm getting some more kinds of feeder insects to try, and I'll see where I can get it - I should be able to figure out some way to use it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, Feanor's just to young to know their sex so we just tend to use they to refer to them and the habit sticks when typing. We only have one. I've checked all of the environmental parts - temperature and lighting included and they are at ideal weight.

We're only giving them what the vet gave us, which being only one bottle of medication I assume doesnt include a probiotic - is there a particular kind I should be getting for them for this/amount they need right now? The um, issues eating insects did however start a couple of days before treatment started.

I'm getting some more kinds of feeder insects to try, and I'll see where I can get it - I should be able to figure out some way to use it.
Ok good,
Powder probiotic you can use children's culturelle make sure its no added sugar flavoring. They come in packets 30 to a box doesn't take much as far as amount si you can put it on the salad or on the bugs or in a slurry..

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

DustOnTheWindow

Bearded Dragon Egg
So we, actually just figured it out - Feanor will eat dubias, and is still willing and in fact keen to eat the right amount, but it has to be in a clear creature carrier with paper towels on three sides, one short side uncovered and the basking lamp transferred over to said side.

They won't eat dubias moving less than fast, and won't eat any which arent on the side the basking lamp is on - no matter how many are on the other side. We have to chase them over for them. They won't eat dubias with calcium powder, or multivitamins so we, guess we'll just mix those with baby food to drip on their nose until we figure out a better solution to that.

Tldr: Their ability to eat the dubias seems fine, though we got the probiotic anyway because well, we need that anyway. They're just very, very picky about how they're given them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol yes they can be very picky at times.. and get ready as they will do it all the time.