• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie does not stop glass surfing

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone,

I adopted a baby beardie when she was one month and now she is 2 months old. For the past 2 weeks she started glass surfing and she never stops until the lights go off. I am very sad since I cannot make her happy. I tried everything that is written on google and forums, I tried putting cardboards in the terrarium but she jumps and grabs them making her encouraged to escape. Her basking surface temp 40 degrees celcius (104 F) and in shade it is 24 (75 F). She is eating well, she alerts when I put food- I feed her with lobsters, morios and grasshoopers-, go eat instantly and continues to glass surf. I really do not understand why. She eats her greens too. Please help me, I am really depressed. I think she just does not love me and trying to escape desperately :(

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-28 at 10.52.00.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone,

I adopted a baby beardie when she was one month and now she is 2 months old. For the past 2 weeks she started glass surfing and she never stops until the lights go off. I am very sad since I cannot make her happy. I tried everything that is written on google and forums, I tried putting cardboards in the terrarium but she jumps and grabs them making her encouraged to escape. Her basking surface temp 40 degrees celcius (104 F) and in shade it is 24 (75 F). She is eating well, she alerts when I put food- I feed her with lobsters, morios and grasshoopers-, go eat instantly and continues to glass surf. I really do not understand why. She eats her greens too. Please help me, I am really depressed. I think she just does not love me and trying to escape desperately :(

View attachment 33290
Ok please go get 2 digital probe thermometers place one on the spot where she basks and get the surface basking temp it should be 41-43 for a baby- next get rid of the coil UVB she is not getting any UVB from that they are the worst when it comes to UVB -- you want a long tube fixture like a Arcadia Pro T 5 - how tall is the tank you have her in? Is it 12 " high? This is going to determine the bulb you need to use - if you need a link for the UVB I can post one - are you in the UK? Your dragons behavior is due to the incorrect UVB and possibly temps as I dont see how your measuring them- digital probe thermometers are the most accurate - the second probe use for your cool side of the tank - you want 3 temps in the tank these are F 105-110-- 90's middle of the tank and low 80's for cool side of the tank -- 65-75 at night

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok please go get 2 digital probe thermometers place one on the spot where she basks and get the surface basking temp it should be 41-43 for a baby- next get rid of the coil UVB she is not getting any UVB from that they are the worst when it comes to UVB -- you want a long tube fixture like a Arcadia Pro T 5 - how tall is the tank you have her in? Is it 12 " high? This is going to determine the bulb you need to use - if you need a link for the UVB I can post one - are you in the UK? Your dragons behavior is due to the incorrect UVB and possibly temps as I dont see how your measuring them- digital probe thermometers are the most accurate - the second probe use for your cool side of the tank - you want 3 temps in the tank these are F 105-110-- 90's middle of the tank and low 80's for cool side of the tank -- 65-75 at night
Thank you for your response. I will change UVB bulb as soon as possible. At the first place I considered to buy tube uvb's but I could not find them - I live in Turkey. I will import them ASAP. And, I have a digital termometer with a probe, I stick it her basking stone, measure and remove the prob in daily basis. I will be constantly measuring it and buy another digital termometer. Other than that I observed that she is very calm after the sessions where she walks freely out of her tank. Therefore, I am also considering to buy a bigger tank, maybe she also wants some space to hang around. Thank you so much again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your response. I will change UVB bulb as soon as possible. At the first place I considered to buy tube uvb's but I could not find them - I live in Turkey. I will import them ASAP. And, I have a digital termometer with a probe, I stick it her basking stone, measure and remove the prob in daily basis. I will be constantly measuring it and buy another digital termometer. Other than that I observed that she is very calm after the sessions where she walks freely out of her tank. Therefore, I am also considering to buy a bigger tank, maybe she also wants some space to hang around. Thank you so much again.
How tall ins the tank? For a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb you will need tank of at least 12" high and it can go on top of that screen since its a very wide holed -- you want distance of 12 " -- for a lower wattage bulb you would need a 10% bulb for a lower height - distance of 8-10 inches high--I am assuming the height is 12" ---

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
How tall ins the tank? For a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb you will need tank of at least 12" high and it can go on top of that screen since its a very wide holed -- you want distance of 12 " -- for a lower wattage bulb you would need a 10% bulb for a lower height - distance of 8-10 inches high--I am assuming the height is 12" ---
Yes it is about 12 inches

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
For longer tanks how far should I put the bulb?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For longer tanks how far should I put the bulb?
Depends on how long - for a 4x2x2 or 120 gallon a 24" fixture will work - anything over 40 gallons - anything longer over 120 your gonna want a 36"-shes too young for a huge tank yet- it's height as well you want a 24" high no taller- what are you using now--

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am using a 11 inch tank but considering to buy a larger one since current one is 15 gallons. Is a 40" x 20" x 23" tank okay for the baby? And also when should change it with a bigger one. I really want best for her.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using a 11 inch tank but considering to buy a larger one since current one is 15 gallons. Is a 40" x 20" x 23" tank okay for the baby? And also when should change it with a bigger one. I really want best for her.
Yes she needs a bigger tank for sure it is too hard to keep correct temps in such small.tanks- I would get a 4x2x2 tank = 48x24x24-- then partition it off till she's about 4 months old then open it up - she will then be in her for ever home- the 11 inch tall is ok for a 12% bulb

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes she needs a bigger tank for sure it is too hard to keep correct temps in such small.tanks- I would get a 4x2x2 tank = 48x24x24-- then partition it off till she's about 4 months old then open it up - she will then be in her for ever home- the 11 inch tall is ok for a 12% bulb
I greatly appreciate your help. I hope she will be happy and healthy. Thank you so much.

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
In Turkey, there seems to be only Repti Glo 2.0 UVB Fluorescent is sold. Do you suggest that, or should I try to import something else?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In Turkey, there seems to be only Repti Glo 2.0 UVB Fluorescent is sold. Do you suggest that, or should I try to import something else?
No Repti Glo --- you can go here and see if you can get the Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb
look for tanks there as well

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
No Repti Glo --- you can go here and see if you can get the Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb
look for tanks there as well
I think it is only sold in the UK unfortunately, I cannot find it on any other websites either :( I think I should look for a 12 % desert bulb?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think it is only sold in the UK unfortunately, I cannot find it on any other websites either :( I think I should look for a 12 % desert bulb?
Does it say where they ship to? Try Amazon or you can look for these as well
24" Zoo Med fixture or a 24" Sunblaster Nano Tech - this comes w/ a grow bulb and you will want to change it to the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 the same w/ the Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb change it to the one I just mentioned -- let me know what you find -- you dont want just any ole 12" bulb

pandorina001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does it say where they ship to? Try Amazon or you can look for these as well
24" Zoo Med fixture or a 24" Sunblaster Nano Tech - this comes w/ a grow bulb and you will want to change it to the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 the same w/ the Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb change it to the one I just mentioned -- let me know what you find -- you dont want just any ole 12" bulb
I find the Reptisun 10.0 T 5, I am going to buy it. We need the fixture for the reflector only right? If so I can look for local solutions because those cost a minimum wage in Turkey :D

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I find the Reptisun 10.0 T 5, I am going to buy it. We need the fixture for the reflector only right? If so I can look for local solutions because those cost a minimum wage in Turkey :D
Yes- no fixture w/ out a reflector those are important