• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby bearded help

Jewishmeme

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! So me and my boyfriend are new parents to a baby bearded. We have run into a problem. Every website or person we ask has different suggestions on how many crickets he should eat we just give him till he doesn’t want to eat them anymore. He also has veggies in his cage replaced daily. He is getting his calcium but lately he has been very lazy and or lethargic. How many crickets should he be eating every day? And or is this just a little seasonal hibernation behavior. I’m very worried because he is skinny. He is between 4-6 months old and I need advice. I’m really worried I might lose my son:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
Has he been pooping lately? What does the poop look like if so? What lights do you use? Is he still eating like he usually does? Most baby beardies eat somewhere around 25-80 crickets a day. As long as you give him as much as he'll eat in 15 minutes and its a good amount he should be fine. He looks small for 4-6 months... I don't think hes old enough for burmation. Does he bask under his light? Are his back legs moving fine? Is he shedding?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your dragon looks younger than 4 months old make sure your feeding crickets no bigger than the space between his eyes I would be feeding pin heads --- or really small dubias --- we need to go over the lighting in the tank -- how big is the tank? UVB should be a tube fixture NO coils --- they are no good ---- basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate ---- I can help you get that tank set up w/ the proper husbandry --- its good hes eating salads -- make sure your dusting the insects 5 x per week once per feeding w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding -- he will go thru relocation stress and his appetite will be off but he should be eating something --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Jewishmeme

Bearded Dragon Egg
Has he been pooping lately? What does the poop look like if so? What lights do you use? Is he still eating like he usually does? Most baby beardies eat somewhere around 25-80 crickets a day. As long as you give him as much as he'll eat in 15 minutes and its a good amount he should be fine. He looks small for 4-6 months... I don't think hes old enough for burmation. Does he bask under his light? Are his back legs moving fine? Is he shedding?
so hes pooping some healthy looking poops and is shedding, usually after eating 2-6 crickets he won't eat crickets for the rest of the day. any tricks to get him to eat more. He has a basking light and a red light for night time both from zoomed. He does bask and his back legs move fine and he is shedding

Jewishmeme

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your dragon looks younger than 4 months old make sure your feeding crickets no bigger than the space between his eyes I would be feeding pin heads --- or really small dubias --- we need to go over the lighting in the tank -- how big is the tank? UVB should be a tube fixture NO coils --- they are no good ---- basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate ---- I can help you get that tank set up w/ the proper husbandry --- its good hes eating salads -- make sure your dusting the insects 5 x per week once per feeding w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding -- he will go thru relocation stress and his appetite will be off but he should be eating something --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Thank you so much! This is so helpful, i guess they gave me the wrong age at the pet store! (He's in a 20 gal for now but we are moving soon so he will be transferred to a much bigger enclosure) and he's eating good salads! I'm just stuck with this cricket problem.

Jewishmeme

Bearded Dragon Egg
so hes pooping some healthy looking poops and is shedding, usually after eating 2-6 crickets he won't eat crickets for the rest of the day. any tricks to get him to eat more. He has a basking light and a red light for night time both from zoomed. He does bask and his back legs move fine and he is shedding
aaa i realized i said he was shedding twice! my bad

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get rid of the red light it is harmful to his eyes and disrupts sleep they have very sensitive eyes- he's eating that's good-- his eating will pick up but you must have proper UVB what are you using for a UVB? Also proper basking temps- 105-110 I am thinking you should be using a 75 watt and temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- temps are hard to keep in a 20 gallon tank

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
You're beardie defentily looks younger than 4 months, if he is really 4 months he should be much bigger. Has be been pooping lately? What does his poop look like. How often is he pooping? Also make sure you're feeding him about 3-4 times a day if he is 4 months or younger. Twice a day 4-8 months and once a day 8 months and older. Feed him as much as he can eat in 15 minutes. Most beardies will eat 30-80 crickets a day.

Jewishmeme

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! So me and my boyfriend are new parents to a baby bearded. We have run into a problem. Every website or person we ask has different suggestions on how many crickets he should eat we just give him till he doesn’t want to eat them anymore. He also has veggies in his cage replaced daily. He is getting his calcium but lately he has been very lazy and or lethargic. How many crickets should he be eating every day? And or is this just a little seasonal hibernation behavior. I’m very worried because he is skinny. He is between 4-6 months old and I need advice. I’m really worried I might lose my son:(
OKAY so i found out the problem! I thought my lights had UVB (I know bad mistake!!) he has one now and is eating like a champ! He is in the middle of a shed that's taking a long time so we are doing proper soaks and watching him very close. Thank you all for the suggestions and helpful comments! Hugs and kisses from me and juan pablo the lizard!

Attachments

• 5534EFBB-1FB0-4A05-A1E6-986EA73E6468.jpeg
    5534EFBB-1FB0-4A05-A1E6-986EA73E6468.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OKAY so i found out the problem! I thought my lights had UVB (I know bad mistake!!) he has one now and is eating like a champ! He is in the middle of a shed that's taking a long time so we are doing proper soaks and watching him very close. Thank you all for the suggestions and helpful comments! Hugs and kisses from me and juan pablo the lizard!
What did you get for a UVB? Please no coils!

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
Thats good! Another reason he might've refused to eat the same amount could be because he was in the middle of a shed. Good luck with your beardie!

Jewishmeme

Bearded Dragon Egg
What did you get for a UVB? Please no coils!
Yup! no coils! i don't have the box in front of me but i made sure it had no coils. since he's in a 20 gal for now i only got a 0.5 but when he starts to grow he's gonna have a 75 gal. and i got rid of that red light. this has been super helpful and he's starting to eat a little bit more. We are expanding on other foods or trying to, and i am order dubia roaches. I cannot thank you guys enough he's been more perky and less skinny as of lately and i have confidence that he is going to start growing fast :) this was some really awesome information and im glad you educated me and saved my son. (He thanks you too <3 )

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup! no coils! i don't have the box in front of me but i made sure it had no coils. since he's in a 20 gal for now i only got a 0.5 but when he starts to grow he's gonna have a 75 gal. and i got rid of that red light. this has been super helpful and he's starting to eat a little bit more. We are expanding on other foods or trying to, and i am order dubia roaches. I cannot thank you guys enough he's been more perky and less skinny as of lately and i have confidence that he is going to start growing fast :) this was some really awesome information and im glad you educated me and saved my son. (He thanks you too <3 )
The tube a 5.0 thats good for the 20 gallon tank - make sure distance is 6-8 inches from basking decor w/ NO obstruction - the screen will block out 30% of the rays --- when you go to the 75 gallon tank swap the 5.0 bulb out for the 10.0 bulb -- let me know when that happens distance and placement is crucial ----------- also NO clear plastic cover over the 5.0 bulb -- if there is one take it off

Jkrout2

Bearded Dragon Egg
I always just fed mine however many he could eat in a 5-7 minute window twice a day while he was young. Also when they begin to grow he will start to shed and at this point they usually are not hungry and do not eat much. It sound like he may be getting ready to go through his growing spurt.

Emmadilemma25

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! We were worried about this issue too and we also got different answers. We fed our beardie 10-15 crickets a day with calcium coating and she turned out just fine. “Robust” to be exact according to our vet. Also, watch for weird looking poops, odd behavior, make sure her nails aren’t too long, you’re spraying her everyday or atleast a nice 15 min bath every other day, and the temps are good for the cool side and the basking side and you will be just fine! The calcium is very important too. You’re doing the right thing. I’ll post some before and after pics:) Our beardie Cheeto is 1 year old now and time just flew by. Have fun!!

Attachments

• D92716FF-FA41-4986-8396-5486AA081DA5.jpeg
    D92716FF-FA41-4986-8396-5486AA081DA5.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 4F58100E-B276-4D3F-8D03-452B08DF35E8.jpeg
    4F58100E-B276-4D3F-8D03-452B08DF35E8.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 75

JoeyMania91

Bearded Dragon Egg

Throw away the red light. They need darkness at night and the red light isn't good for them.

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
He’s definitely really tiny. Now that you have appropriate uvb, he should start to grow quickly. Do you have a scale for him? It needs to weigh in grams, ( a typical kitchen scale is fine,) and a weekly weigh in is important. Look for a 4-8 gram weight increase weekly. This is my little guy, Merlin. He will be 4 mos on October 1st. He is currently 91 grams. I also have an adult beardie. Adults are considered “normal” at 400-800grams at a year old. Enjoy him!

Attachments

• 18C301BD-99DB-4B41-8A7A-6F70F4EA0E8E.jpeg
    18C301BD-99DB-4B41-8A7A-6F70F4EA0E8E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi...we rescue and rehome. 1st of all you are feeding properly; make sure u feed 3times a day crickets or Dubia roaches till he stops eating is correct. Only feds after an hour of basking also & last feeding lights should be on for 2hours after the last feeding in order to digest the food. The size should be mediums or larges; the crickets should not be larger than the space between his 2eyes. sprinkle calcium every other day with herptivite vitamin and shake it togheter and feed but once per day only. Now his tank?? Do u have sand as the substrate if so he’s impacted and ingesting the sand; remove ASAP. Use white terry clothes towels as the substrate u buy a bag from Home Depot and wash them first. U need a minimum 40gallon tank with a zoomed CLEAR basking bulb 75-100Watt (Never Ever use colored Bulbs) of its a 40gallon tank of its a 30gallon tank u need a 50watt; temp needs to be 100 to 103 & as he gets older do 95-100. U need a reptisun UVB bulb if he doesn’t have that he wil be lethargic can’t walk ro eat and bones will be destroyed, hence MBD. And he will be on his death bed. order from Amazon Reptisin 10.0 T5 or go to petco or pwtsmart & get the T8 10.0 Never get the 5.0 use it and return it when the T5 arrives the length should cover 70 prcnt of the tank amd placed on the back starting at the hot side and the heat lamp places on hot side more to the front . U need a zoomed digital thermometer and hygrometer. $10/each digital only is the only accurate ones are digital. Humidity should only be 30-40 and never ever higher place it on the hot side so u can see what it is.
Lights on in the summer both UVB & heat 12-14 hours/day & in the winter 10-12 hours a day only. At nite pure dark NO lights ever. Tank temp should be 70 plus at nite. For the greens/veggies only do mustard & collard greens, dandelions, endives, butternut squash, snap peas and yellow squash those are the everyday ones and break it up amd cit it with a knife so it’s a decent size not to bog or too small. Baths twice a week minimum for 15min in lukewarm water dechlorinated so but Reptisafe and oalce a few drops for every cup in drinking and bathing water;) never ever get water in his ears ans play meditation music to relax him while bathing. Also when basking he needs to plop himself ona. Basking spot or pillows or animals here’s a pic of how tank should Look. Try all this also is his poop diarrhea and lose if soo hehas Coccidia; do a poop sample ASAP at a reptile local vet it’s only $45. That will tell u. Poop should be oval strong like a cats poop google Coccidia. U gotta keep tank cleaner than clean. Please let me know & if he’s not better take him to the Vet but it’s either improper or NO uvb or Heat, which is MBD which U can reverse and fix ASAP with proper UVB or he has Coccidia or Sand ingestion which destroys their tummy or feedingwrong greens. Never Ever do spinach it binds to calcium and kale is no good high in Oxalates & carrots are bad too once in a while u can do carrots but I wud skip it. Follow the staple greens and veggies I recommended for everyday do a mix of 3-4 per day. My long reptisun UVb covers the entire cage but that’s cuz she had severe MBD they left her without uvb or wrong UVb so I didn’t this for 6mnths amd now ordered a bigger cage so it covers 70 percent of it only. GLuck and let me knwk

Attachments

• 19578B08-E09D-4632-9D33-DF22E2F4F5E9.jpeg
    19578B08-E09D-4632-9D33-DF22E2F4F5E9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • 1A7FE27E-5100-40F5-A91E-D5BDDB8339E0.jpeg
    1A7FE27E-5100-40F5-A91E-D5BDDB8339E0.jpeg
    697.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 0F6A80D2-B38E-4E8E-BAA2-C60F8399739D.jpeg
    0F6A80D2-B38E-4E8E-BAA2-C60F8399739D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41