• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Bearded Dragon sunken eyes no appetite

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Hi our baby bearded does not have an appetite and has sunken eyes and is a bit lethargic the last few days. His lighting and temps are fine. Reptisun T8 and 105 bask 84 cool side. He is only 2 months old. We are very concerned Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• 2ACD6D68-36C2-4D81-8D7B-D055BA94DFFA.jpeg
    2ACD6D68-36C2-4D81-8D7B-D055BA94DFFA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • CE4B57AA-60D5-49CA-8697-F7CD01B4595C.jpeg
    CE4B57AA-60D5-49CA-8697-F7CD01B4595C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • ED3C2871-C64C-4EF9-A12B-113B0BD37AD4.jpeg
    ED3C2871-C64C-4EF9-A12B-113B0BD37AD4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • AF56040B-5B31-4CBB-9049-25FB322D97FA.jpeg
    AF56040B-5B31-4CBB-9049-25FB322D97FA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Hi! What a handsome lil nugget! Looks like he could be dehydrated? Try holding him on your chest and rubbing your finger across his mouth w/drops of water. Just do it slowly so he doesn't aspirate. You'll see he'll start to lick the water. I've also heard you can do this with sugar free fruit juice or Gatorade as well.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Yes I have been giving him drops of water with a syringe during the day. I did see him drink a little out of his water bowl this morning also.

Attachments

• 709DFCBE-56C4-48AB-9E63-1B94CFA4ACE2.jpeg
    709DFCBE-56C4-48AB-9E63-1B94CFA4ACE2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi our baby bearded does not have an appetite and has sunken eyes and is a bit lethargic the last few days. His lighting and temps are fine. Reptisun T8 and 105 bask 84 cool side. He is only 2 months old. We are very concerned Any suggestions ?
He may be dehydrated -- what does his poop look like? It should be formed moist and dark urate formed moist and white --- no chalky looking or dried out -- is he eating greens?

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Yes I have been giving him drops of water with a syringe during the day. I did see him drink a little out of his water bowl this morning also.
Hi! What a handsome lil nugget! Looks like he could be dehydrated? Try holding him on your chest and rubbing your finger across his mouth w/drops of water. Just do it slowly so he doesn't aspirate. You'll see he'll start to lick the water. I've also heard you can do this with sugar free

He may be dehydrated -- what does his poop look like? It should be formed moist and dark urate formed moist and white --- no chalky looking or dried out -- is he eating greens?
Yes his poop does seem very normal. He went once this morning dark and white on tip and also he went again this afternoon. He only eats a little collard greens when we hand feed him. He has no interest in his dubias or bsfl the last couple of days. I syringe fed him a little Repashy Beardie Buffet yesterday. But he definitely he has no appetite.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Yes his poop does seem very normal. He went once this morning dark and white on tip and also he went again this afternoon. He only eats a little collard greens when we hand feed him. He has no interest in his dubias or bsfl the last couple of days. I syringe fed him a little Repashy Beardie Buffet yesterday. But he definitely he has no appetite.
Here is a close picture of his sunken eyes

Attachments

• A5BE1542-89DC-440E-8189-D9CF41A01417.jpeg
    A5BE1542-89DC-440E-8189-D9CF41A01417.jpeg
    879.2 KB · Views: 24

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok your lighting and basking temps are good next could be a fecal test in order- please get a fecal drop off at your vet have them test for parasites- if he's got too many they will effect the appetite- NO ENEMAS -- I am going to have some one look at him

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
his nasal openings do look a little pink when I look close also. I will ask vet if I can drop off sample for a fecal test for parasites too.

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Awww cute baby from what I see I agree does look like dehydration when my second oldest babe was 3 months he went through the same thing I talked to some people they told me to try to get him closer to the basking light and it worked and it turns out he had parasites as well and the poop was normal for mine as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have sent your post for someone to look at about the eye -- is it both or only one?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have sent your post for someone to look at about the eye -- is it both or only one?
This is what they have suggested we need to start somewhere
The baby is not feeling well for some reason ? If insects were too large he may be impacted but I read that he recently pooped. Offer water with a syringe or gently with a spray bottle very slowly on his snout, he may be dehydrated. It may also be parasites as was mentioned so a fecal test will be a good idea. How are they taking temps., they want to be 100 % sure that it's hot enough for digestion. One more thing, is this a pet store baby or from a breeder ? Not everyone breeds healthy dragons from unrelated stock.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Temps are from the probe thermometer. My husband purchased the baby from online at Big Apple Herps. He is very tiny only approximately 11 grams at 2 months old. He never has been a good eater since we got him. We have tried so many different insects. Only interested in dubias but never ate much. I syringed Reptiboost also to help him. But it could be an unhealthy baby from the start. Maybe parasites could be the culprit from the start also since he never had a great appetite? I just never thought about it since his poop is perfect and he goes everyday twice sometimes. It also does not have a bad smell.
I thought he is just a slow grower or a runt. Trying our best since we got him last month.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temps are from the probe thermometer. My husband purchased the baby from online at Big Apple Herps. He is very tiny only approximately 11 grams at 2 months old. He never has been a good eater since we got him. We have tried so many different insects. Only interested in dubias but never ate much. I syringed Reptiboost also to help him. But it could be an unhealthy baby from the start. Maybe parasites could be the culprit from the start also since he never had a great appetite? I just never thought about it since his poop is perfect and he goes everyday twice sometimes. It also does not have a bad smell.
I thought he is just a slow grower or a runt. Trying our best since we got him last month.
Ok I will pass this on- we want to rule the parasites out- at this point we are doing everything we can too and you may be right but we need to keep trying- here is a website for future reference for a reptile vet www.arav.org
If your in a small town / area type in a bigger city around you- I would get the fecal in and go from there-- keep him hydrated and you may haft to syringe feed greens/ insects- unless you can get him to eat off a spoon

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I will pass this on- we want to rule the parasites out- at this point we are doing everything we can too and you may be right but we need to keep trying- here is a website for future reference for a reptile vet www.arav.org
If your in a small town / area type in a bigger city around you- I would get the fecal in and go from there-- keep him hydrated and you may haft to syringe feed greens/ insects- unless you can get him to eat off a spoon
Ok he does take the syringe pretty easy. I will make a slurry with greens and insects for him for now. Should I syringe Repashy Beardie buffet mixed with water or would that be too heavy for him at this time? There is not a reptile vet close by to us. Could I use the reptile parasite test they sell online?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok he does take the syringe pretty easy. I will make a slurry with greens and insects for him for now. Should I syringe Repashy Beardie buffet mixed with water or would that be too heavy for him at this time? There is not a reptile vet close by to us. Could I use the reptile parasite test they sell online?
I don't know anything about that test but I have a vet tech friend that can help let me get w/ her about those questions-