• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Bearded Dragon Hissing

Erin Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, I bought a Bearded Dragon about a month ago so he's still relatively new, I'd say he's only about 3-4 months old and he's had his first shed recently, eats and poops fine however, he is very skittish and timid and I can stroke him gently in his viv and he appreciates it for a few minutes until he moves, I've started to try and take him out of his viv to actually hold him and it's going well for at the most 3 minutes until he starts hissing.

I'm a newbie to baby Bearded Dragons so some step by step advice on how to make him feel very comfortable around me would be great? He hasn't bitten, he just hisses every now and again.

I normally put him back as soon as he hisses, should I keep him out if he does? Thank you.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just keep taking him out. They are very affectionate animals. Love human contact. Work at it and don't give up and all will be fine.

Hissing his a defense he's saying back off. If he is constantly doing it for extended period than leave him alone bit if he does it than stops than keep at it.

Mine used to do this also but followed with puffed beard and opened mouth.

So I just grabbed him everyday kept him how me or in my hands for 30min or so and now he's fine.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Keep petting him inside his tank and try to take him out for about 5 minutes at a time and keep working it up to more time. The important thing is not to show fear. When he runs from you or starts to hiss at you don't flinch. It's important to show him you are not scared and he will learn. A good thing to do is have food in your hand, when he opens his mouth to show aggression put food in it. He will soon associate you with food and realize that you aren't going to hurt him. I am going through this with my little one, she's about 4 months. It's taken a few months but now she now wants to be handled more and has stopped the hissing. She will still open her mouth at me but only if I touch her lower jaw, it's like a reflex or something.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Hey guys, I bought a Bearded Dragon about a month ago so he's still relatively new, I'd say he's only about 3-4 months old and he's had his first shed recently, eats and poops fine however, he is very skittish and timid and I can stroke him gently in his viv and he appreciates it for a few minutes until he moves, I've started to try and take him out of his viv to actually hold him and it's going well for at the most 3 minutes until he starts hissing.

I'm a newbie to baby Bearded Dragons so some step by step advice on how to make him feel very comfortable around me would be great? He hasn't bitten, he just hisses every now and again.

I normally put him back as soon as he hisses, should I keep him out if he does? Thank you.
I get it with my male now and again its all to do with showing their dominancy. As the other have said just small holds short and often, a good tip is not to go from the top or the back when you are going to pick him up go slowly at the front so he can see you. Bearded dragons are really calm lizards and interactive alot