• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Average Size of full grown dragons

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,

As usual Im getting conflicting info from the web, so I thought I'd ask some of you as to what the average size for a full grown beardie would/could be.

Pogie is now 9.5 Months and measures 19.5 inches.
Has she almost reached her limit?

The info on the web is as follows
1. 20 Inches for a male, females are smaller
2. 22 inches (no sex mentioned)
3. 12-18 inches

And then for those of you who are bored, and feel like raising the blood pressure a bit, heres an interresting read. Note on the age they can live to, food types they recommend like feeding your adult small lizzards like geckos (omg) and the substrate :eek:
http://www.squidoo.com/bearded-dragon-central

My mouth was hanging open and I wanted to go smack the writer of the article

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tell people they can live 8 to 10 years with propper care. However doing the shows over a year now I have people stop back to visit. I have met a 14 year old dragon and know of 2 16 year old.

Now size, I'm spoiled a bit. My dragons all average 18 to 21 inches long. My smallest adult is 454 grams, My largest adult hovers around 640 grams

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK, so shes got a little room to grow still IF she reaches 21 inches. But I shouldnt worry if she stays 19.5 right? She just need some weight, shes only 340 gramms

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For reference, Sam is three years old and around 17 inches long (I need to weigh her). Frodo's 4 years old, 21.5 inches and about 615 grams.

Size depends mostly on genetics. Do you know how big her parents were? If so, you'll have a good idea for how big she should get. Frodo's Dad was 22 inches long and close to 700 grams. His Mom was a little more average around 18 or 19 inches. Don't remember her weight. Sam's parents were each around the 17/18 inch range and weight (relative size) was pretty close to what she is, now.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK, so seems shes doing fine, if I read your averages. From what Ive seen on Toms other post http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-forum/beardie-pictures/the-tnd-crew!!!!-(very-pic-heavy)/msg24239/#msg24239 she compares nicely with Allesandra, length and weight wise. Even if she is younger.

Unfortunately I dont know anything about her before I got her, not even sure of her age. Her previous owners just said she was approx 5 months old (That was beginning of March) . . . . who knows. They got her from a pet store who got her from who knows where.

I wish peeps here would keep records of this kind of stuff, would make life so much easier. I started a groth chart when I got her and I document the date / her length / weight / vet visits on it, so Ill know in future

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My average for my adults were always between 18 and 22 inches and anywhere from 400 grams to 500+

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Piece of advice.....don't compare Pogie to other dragons. She's unique. For starters, your location has a huge impact on her genetics. Whether or not she was imported to there from another area, or hatched there will impact her progress. (my guess is hatched there)

All in all, she's healthy, on an average scale of growth, and you've got no worries.

http://www.squidoo.com/bearded-dragon-central
that article sounds like it was written by a child. Dragons came into the US in the 90's? Funny........I know I wasn't the only one that had them in the 80's. It's rather obvious that it's very outdated. You just gotta ignore those things stuck on the world wide internet forever and a day. Nobody updates them, and they never go away. Ask Melissa Kaplan.............she just updated some of her stuff a few years ago.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I wish my dragons were already that many inches, Monique!! Mine are almost 11 months old, and Ace is 17 inches, and Baby is 16. I was hoping to have big guys. ;D But I love them no matter what. And their growth was probably stunted a bit, as I did not know how to care for them as babies so they didn't grow for a few months, therefore probably impacted their growth since when I first has em was the most important stage in their life.