• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these normal waxworms?

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I bought some waxworms from a different store than I normally go to. These guys are huge and so much more active and squirmy, trying to get out of their container. They're almost the same size as superworms. I can't even tell you how many times I've bought waxworms before and they were never more than half the size of these. These also seem to not have the sort of peach fuzz that the others I've gotten had.
Precious went crazy over them and I let her enjoy more than I should have. Are these normal or maybe a different strain? Or were the ones I've been getting all along just younger? I'd prefer to get ones like these all the time if I could!
14sppcp.jpg

5n3kmu.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They almost look like molted super worms. I've never seen wax worms that big before, I would buy those too if I came across them! If you google wax worms this is the picture that comes up so I think you are good.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Yes, they do look like that! But I can tell they still are some kind of waxworm. I only bought 20 of them and even Tequila who doesn't eat anything live loved them. I'm going back to that place tomorrow to get more and ask about them. I'm weirdly fascinated with them!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If those are wax worms – they are humongous!

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I have had my days mixed up all week since I'd had Memorial Day off. Forgot it was Sunday and the store closed early today! :confused: I'll go tomorrow.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I went back to the store and bought more, asked about them. The guy acted like they were normal, he said that's just how they come to the store. But he also said they refrigerate them when they first get them but then they just keep them at room temp. Maybe that's why they're bigger, because they're not refrigerated?
When they're scrunched up you can see that they are waxworms:
wjgsok.jpg

Was going to do another size comparison with the new ones but then a certain someone came along...
6ycigj.jpg

Then someone else and that was it for the worms!
wqosvb.jpg

After they ate, Tequila goes off into a ripple under the cover and Precious wanted to go too
2ivd99g.jpg

I go put the worms away and then come back to check on them and found this:
s6mweb.jpg

My silly beauties, lol

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks! When we first brought Tequila home on Valentine's day, she was so small that she curled up into a c shape and fell asleep in my hand. I measured and weighed the both of them 2 days ago. She's now 23 inches, Precious is 21 inches. But Precious weighs 540 grams and Tequila is 520.
r1gz6h.jpg

Size comparison pic from 2 days ago
Tequila is such a copycat with Precious though, everything Precious does she wants to do. I never see Precious drinking water on her own so every day I offer her from a syringe. Some days she turns her head, other days she'll drink quite a bit. Tequila has no problem drinking from her own pool of water, but when she saw me giving Precious water, she had to try it too. Now she gets all excited when she sees the syringe...go figure lol. I had to initial 2 syringes and if Tequila is out when I do it, I have to offer her syringe first, otherwise she hogs the syringe...and the annoyed look Precious gets on her face is too funny!
11ax5hf.jpg

This pic is about a month old, when Tequila first discovered the syringe
2dij18g.jpg

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Tequila is the cutest!!! I'm sorry for barging in on your post but I have a few questions about blue tongue skinks, what is her main diet? Like the fruits and veggies you normally feed her?