• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apparently I'm a toilet??

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
I have had Scraggy for about five days total, four of which I have taken him outside his tank to play/explore on me while watching some videos. Out of these four times, he has decided to poop on me. I'm worried that continuing to bring him out will signify that it's time to poop (not that bad,maybe actually good) on me (that's the bad part). It comes completely out of nowhere and I don't notice he's going until it's too late! and what's up with people saying they poop 1-2 times a week? this guy's a little turd monster.

anyway, yeah I'm seeking advice, but let's hear some poop stories from you guys too!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have had Scraggy for about five days total, four of which I have taken him outside his tank to play/explore on me while watching some videos. Out of these four times, he has decided to poop on me. I'm worried that continuing to bring him out will signify that it's time to poop (not that bad,maybe actually good) on me (that's the bad part). It comes completely out of nowhere and I don't notice he's going until it's too late! and what's up with people saying they poop 1-2 times a week? this guy's a little turd monster.

anyway, yeah I'm seeking advice, but let's hear some poop stories from you guys too!
Babies are always eating so they will poop several times a day..you will learn what to look for with yours, for the most part they will do a little butt wiggle then the base of their tail will lift you got a few sec lol
Adults tend to not eat as much and have more belly space so they tend to only go 1-2 times a week. just remember the more they eat the more they poop...
You can use this time if you are around alot, all 3 of mine refuse to go in their house as since they were tiny I feed them and bang I get them into a nice warm bath and walla I did this consistently and around the same time. For me it works as I'm around all day. You get to know your dragon and their habits.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
a few times a day, eh? he seems to be going once a day and only when I take him out. guess he follows that old saying, "don't poop where you eat" lol I think I'll start by giving him a bath when I take him out, before play time, and watch him more closely during.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a few times a day, eh? he seems to be going once a day and only when I take him out. guess he follows that old saying, "don't poop where you eat" lol I think I'll start by giving him a bath when I take him out, before play time, and watch him more closely during.
How often do you feed him? and how much each sitting? I know when mine were small and got fed 3 times a day they pooped at least 2 times..Now my youngest just goes once a day, they all prefer to go before noon. If it's past noon my female will hold it lol I know if she's gotta go because she will get super antsy and will glass surf.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
glass surf? is that when they run up and down the side of the tank? and I feed him 2-3 times a day, and just let him eat crickets until he ignores them. sometimes it's only a few, other times it's over a half dozen at a time. they range from small to medium so that depends too.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
glass surf? is that when they run up and down the side of the tank? and I feed him 2-3 times a day, and just let him eat crickets until he ignores them. sometimes it's only a few, other times it's over a half dozen at a time. they range from small to medium so that depends too.
Yep glass surfing same thing they all do for 1 reason or another. Well the amount sounds right you may want to be on the lookout for more pooping once he settles in more.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have seen him glass surf before. I thought he just wanted out to explore
hmm.
Well like I mentioned glass surfing can mean alot of things. 1. Reflection 2. Wanting to come out 3. Wanting to poop and not wanting to be near it 4. See's something 5. Wants to find a female to mate 6. Bored 7. Tank too hot/cold

So it can mean anything really lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Well at least he's pooping on you and not on the carpet or floor etc. I have a crested gecko that always poops on me. I've learned to always carry a towel when I take her out and pay attention to her movements. I can usually tell when she is going and I can put the towel down. For her it is a stress mechanism. She doesn't like to be touched much so taking her out of her tank triggers her bowel. Maybe that is what is going on with your dragon.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
yeah, he does seem a bit apprehensive toward being pet. my guess is he won't grow up to be a cuddle bug lol I've only seen him glass surfing a couple times so not sure what it means just yet, and I think I'll make sure I've got a towel on me when I take him out.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
That would probably do the trick. I have heard many tales of beardie owners training their dragons to go in the bath or outside the cage.... mine will ONLY go in his habitat and 99% of the time when I'm not home, so he can run through it and smear it over the glass, substrate, decor, etc. I handle him a lot, give him free range time, bath time... but he still only wants to poop when he can play with it. I will come home and find him and the tank coated in it.

So.... if you can avoid getting pooped on directly, getting them to go outside the tank is a definite improvement over intensive tank cleaning and beardie cleaning every time they have a bowel movement!!!

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
I gave him a bath today and sure enough I spotted the butt wiggle and he proceeded to poop. I drained the water and soaked him a second time. he really seems to like the water (he stayed a nice bright color and didn't look like he tried too hard to get out) and after the fact, he was much more calm hanging out. seems that the times he ran all over me he must have been looking for a place to poop.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah, he does seem a bit apprehensive toward being pet. my guess is he won't grow up to be a cuddle bug lol I've only seen him glass surfing a couple times so not sure what it means just yet, and I think I'll make sure I've got a towel on me when I take him out.
Not necessarily as long as you keep handling him it should be fine, they are kinda jittery as babies if you think about it the world is very big to them so it just takes time.. I did the majority of my handling close to lights out as they are more relaxed, this helps get the trust bond and gets them used to being held..

xxlissydollxx

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I found with my guy atleast, that there is about a 10 second window before poop.

First he brings his legs closest to his head, then you can see his midsection moving in and out, then out comes the stank. I usually place him on the closest easy to clean surface

Letreze

Bearded Dragon Egg
My Draco likes to do his business on me too! I have tried long baths with no luck. Draco goes twice a day so I now play with him after I clean up a fresh poo in the cage. This keeps me clean.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I stopped giving him a bath for a few days to see if he'd go if he had to. answer is yes, and I bathe him every other day so he doesn't go in his cage.
Yep I bathe mine every other day depending on how much they've eaten of course lol my 2 adults can go 3-5 days between and if they really gotta go my female will get antsy and want out which is not her normal behavior..and my male will surf like crazy even if he's been out in their free range room (they won't go on the carpet which surprises me)
So learning their behaviors will be the best means to knowing about when they are going to need to go lol

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
That would probably do the trick. I have heard many tales of beardie owners training their dragons to go in the bath or outside the cage.... mine will ONLY go in his habitat and 99% of the time when I'm not home, so he can run through it and smear it over the glass, substrate, decor, etc. I handle him a lot, give him free range time, bath time... but he still only wants to poop when he can play with it. I will come home and find him and the tank coated in it.

So.... if you can avoid getting pooped on directly, getting them to go outside the tank is a definite improvement over intensive tank cleaning and beardie cleaning every time they have a bowel movement!!!
Lol haha one of mine does the same thing. She glass surfs all over it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

sjmudjet

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ive had my dragon for a about three weeks or less now and he only poops like once every four days, and only when I put him in a bath, it seems on here a lot of people have to give them a bath to make them poop is this normal, how do I change that to get him to just poop in his cage?
my friend has one and he just poops when he needs to....he's about three months old now and eating crickets twice a day with salad in his cage everyday and I change the salad twice a day as it gets old... he wont eat it but ive been hand offering it to encourage him to try it,, will he eventually eat his salad on his own? my heat and humidity are all correct so not sure If shes being normal or not...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ive had my dragon for a about three weeks or less now and he only poops like once every four days, and only when I put him in a bath, it seems on here a lot of people have to give them a bath to make them poop is this normal, how do I change that to get him to just poop in his cage?
my friend has one and he just poops when he needs to....he's about three months old now and eating crickets twice a day with salad in his cage everyday and I change the salad twice a day as it gets old... he wont eat it but ive been hand offering it to encourage him to try it,, will he eventually eat his salad on his own? my heat and humidity are all correct so not sure If shes being normal or not...
Lots of dragons go in the bath only. Mine was one of them. Lately I’m hearing information from vets that doing that is bad. Forcing a poop in the bath can cause them to prolapse and that baths in general aren’t really necessary. Unless they need help shedding or they ran through their poop, a bath isn’t needed. With my girl we stopped baths and now she poops in her tank again about once a week.