• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apparently, I needed my heart broken again.

GojiraMama

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So I haven't posted since losing my beloved Gojira to aggressively metastasized osteosarcoma, just 6 weeks before what would have been his 3rd Gotcha Day.

I adopted him as an adult, oh the irony, because I had read about early-adulthood cancers being a problem in some commercially bred (as in pet store supplier) bloodlines.

I am not a huge fan of irony.

My parents found the one and only rescue anywhere nearby & about 6 weeks later I was able to adopt a new companion. I'd never wanted a female because my mom's 30 years with chickens taught me terrifying things about egg-related issues. But when I told the rescue my priority was a healthy appetite because I can work with any temperament, they showed me a girl who had definitely BEEN THROUGH IT. Her tail was bent in several places & caked with filthy stuck-on multiple layers of old shed. She was terrified of being touched.

So I took a chance & took the plunge last March. Once the truth of her brave, fierce, durable nature started to show through, she got re-named Ripley. I had her tested for gut parasites (none) & ADV (not exposed).

Last May, at 2.5 years old, she laid 3 eggs. No big deal, they're like hens, they don't need a male around to start laying & it's normal for young females to lay a few eggs.

Over the next 5 weeks she laid FORTY-FOUR eggs. After consulting with several veterinarians, all of them agreeing on a diagnosis of hyper-fertility, & a nerve-shredding story involving crowdfunding, my last savings, and a 1600-mile round trip (3200 for the driver!!!) she was spayed July 6, 2022. The vet showed me what was removed. My girl would not have made it through the winter with that mess in her belly.

But it's difficult to spay a lizard, any tiny fleck of missed ovarian tissue can start producing eggs again. This is a disaster if you're in no position to have a 2nd spay done--the only vet I can get her to now charges $1500 & up, an amount that would qualify as federal disability fraud for me to save up because of the resource cap associated with the program that supplies my income & health insurance.

Ripley is showing every sign of a failed spay--belly dragging the ground, hollow flanks no matter how much she eats, and yesterday she started digging. I call the vet tomorrow to try to schedule a scan so we can be sure whether or not she's producing eggs.

The spay removed her oviducts. If she is gravid, I am going to lose my girl after barely a year. She isn't even 4 yet. I am not okay.

The photo is, as far as I know, the first time in her life she felt live grass under her feet, soon after we got her home to stay. I don't want her to die, but that may be the only merciful choice I can make for her.

Attachments

• IMG_20220329_152616.jpg
    IMG_20220329_152616.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I haven't posted since losing my beloved Gojira to aggressively metastasized osteosarcoma, just 6 weeks before what would have been his 3rd Gotcha Day.

I adopted him as an adult, oh the irony, because I had read about early-adulthood cancers being a problem in some commercially bred (as in pet store supplier) bloodlines.

I am not a huge fan of irony.

My parents found the one and only rescue anywhere nearby & about 6 weeks later I was able to adopt a new companion. I'd never wanted a female because my mom's 30 years with chickens taught me terrifying things about egg-related issues. But when I told the rescue my priority was a healthy appetite because I can work with any temperament, they showed me a girl who had definitely BEEN THROUGH IT. Her tail was bent in several places & caked with filthy stuck-on multiple layers of old shed. She was terrified of being touched.

So I took a chance & took the plunge last March. Once the truth of her brave, fierce, durable nature started to show through, she got re-named Ripley. I had her tested for gut parasites (none) & ADV (not exposed).

Last May, at 2.5 years old, she laid 3 eggs. No big deal, they're like hens, they don't need a male around to start laying & it's normal for young females to lay a few eggs.

Over the next 5 weeks she laid FORTY-FOUR eggs. After consulting with several veterinarians, all of them agreeing on a diagnosis of hyper-fertility, & a nerve-shredding story involving crowdfunding, my last savings, and a 1600-mile round trip (3200 for the driver!!!) she was spayed July 6, 2022. The vet showed me what was removed. My girl would not have made it through the winter with that mess in her belly.

But it's difficult to spay a lizard, any tiny fleck of missed ovarian tissue can start producing eggs again. This is a disaster if you're in no position to have a 2nd spay done--the only vet I can get her to now charges $1500 & up, an amount that would qualify as federal disability fraud for me to save up because of the resource cap associated with the program that supplies my income & health insurance.

Ripley is showing every sign of a failed spay--belly dragging the ground, hollow flanks no matter how much she eats, and yesterday she started digging. I call the vet tomorrow to try to schedule a scan so we can be sure whether or not she's producing eggs.

The spay removed her oviducts. If she is gravid, I am going to lose my girl after barely a year. She isn't even 4 yet. I am not okay.

The photo is, as far as I know, the first time in her life she felt live grass under her feet, soon after we got her home to stay. I don't want her to die, but that may be the only merciful choice I can make for her.
I am so sorry to hear this - it is so difficult to see them go thru this -- and we get so attached to them as well -- I am going to have Tracie look at your post - she is our vet tech on her - maybe she can give some advice on what can or should be done or shouldnt

GojiraMama

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am so sorry to hear this - it is so difficult to see them go thru this -- and we get so attached to them as well -- I am going to have Tracie look at your post - she is our vet tech on her - maybe she can give some advice on what can or should be done or shouldnt
I was up late last night doing research, as my mom is firmly convinced we should be hoping she reabsorbs any eggs produced by leftover ovarian tissue.

Turns out that is not a good thing, it can really damage their liver. I'm going to call the vet when they open in a few hours, find out what their exam costs are now, find out what kind of imaging would be used to verify whether eggs are present, and find out what that imaging will cost.

If she is full of eggs that she cannot pass, I will have to let her go. If she is not, I will keep her as happy as I can until she tells me it is time to let her go, whether that's in a matter of weeks or a matter of years.

The important thing is that I promised her when I adopted her that she would never have to suffer if I could prevent it, and I intend to keep that promise. She is not suffering now, but if she is gravid & ruptures an egg, that's a bad way to go & it gets ugly fast. More than one of my beardie people buddies on social media have lost their girls that way.

Photo is from shortly after her spay surgery last summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_161833.jpg
    IMG_20220706_161833.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

So sorry your girl is going through this, again. I have recently seen another case just like this. The first
spay apparently didn't get done properly & the dragon developed eggs/follicles again. They opted to do
surgery again, but, with a different vet.
To confirm, surgery isn't an option, correct, due to the expense? What were you able to find out ?
Reabsorbing eggs can be hard on them, but, a lot of them end up doing so. It is always possible that
none would burst at all but just be reabsorbed & then excreted. If that does happen, you can start her
on milk thistle for her liver, daily to help out. Also, keep her on a low fat & low to moderate protein diet
for awhile too just so her liver & kidneys can detox.
My heart goes out for you, keep us posted on her!

Tracie

GojiraMama

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello,

So sorry your girl is going through this, again. I have recently seen another case just like this. The first
spay apparently didn't get done properly & the dragon developed eggs/follicles again. They opted to do
surgery again, but, with a different vet.
To confirm, surgery isn't an option, correct, due to the expense? What were you able to find out ?
Reabsorbing eggs can be hard on them, but, a lot of them end up doing so. It is always possible that
none would burst at all but just be reabsorbed & then excreted. If that does happen, you can start her
on milk thistle for her liver, daily to help out. Also, keep her on a low fat & low to moderate protein diet
for awhile too just so her liver & kidneys can detox.
My heart goes out for you, keep us posted on her!

Tracie
Well, she's still bloated in the belly & hollow in the flanks, but she doesn't seem distressed and has, for the time being at least, stopped digging. She's eating mostly flowers & greens (from my mom's completely spray-free garden), with occasional calcium-dusted insects. She's done a very tiny bit of shedding this year so far, I'm a little worried that she's not doing more--but I'm also on permanent disability for severe anxiety, so I worry about literally everything. And yeah, the only local vet licensed to do reptile surgery quoted me $1100-1700 last year & from what we've heard his prices have recently gone up. As long as she remains alert & free of distress, I will keep hoping.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is good to hear she doesn't seem to be stressed right now, or digging at the moment. As long as she
isn't black bearding or rapidly losing weight, etc hopefully her body will stabilize. It's possible she will simply
reabsorb any eggs that might be present.
At least she is eating some greens & a few insects right now. How do her fat pads look presently?
It is very discouraging when the vet costs have skyrocketed to the point no one can get any type of medical
procedure done.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Keep us posted on how your girl is doing!
We are all hoping that she is feeling better.

Tracie