• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any tips on BSFL and Hornworms?

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
I just ordered some BSFL and Hornworms from Dubia.com they came in really healthy I also ordered some dubia roaches and super worms a couple of the roaches escaped but my BEARDIE ate those up, anyways that’s besides the point I want to prevent my BSFL and Hornworms from turning into flys as long as possible any tips on how to do that?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just ordered some BSFL and Hornworms from Dubia.com they came in really healthy I also ordered some dubia roaches and super worms a couple of the roaches escaped but my BEARDIE ate those up, anyways that’s besides the point I want to prevent my BSFL and Hornworms from turning into flys as long as possible any tips on how to do that?
Hornworms won't turn to moths I haven't had anyone feeding them do that - they are fed to fast as they grow really big- put the bsfl in the fridge get them out 5 min prior to feeding so they start moving

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Hornworms won't turn to moths I haven't had anyone feeding them do that - they are fed to fast as they grow really big- put the bsfl in the fridge get them out 5 min prior to feeding so they start moving
Alright thanks for the tips I just don’t want any flies in my house so I really appreciate it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alright thanks for the tips I just don’t want any flies in my house so I really appreciate it.
The dragon will eat the bsfl fly- you can pull the wings off and feed them to him

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Also I have a darkling beetle clean up crew in one of my bioactive cages and one of them was deformed and now their wings work, great.. any idea on how to get it out of my cage?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also I have a darkling beetle clean up crew in one of my bioactive cages and one of them was deformed and now their wings work, great.. any idea on how to get it out of my cage?
I have no idea- I am wondering if the dragon can eat those as well -- let me ask someone who might know I will see what he says

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have no idea- I am wondering if the dragon can eat those as well -- let me ask someone who might know I will see what he says
Can you reach in and catch it? It shouldn't be harmful and isn't likely to cause any issues if eaten.

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea darkling beetles are safe . Buffalo beetles too but both of these beetles release a stench for defense when scared so usually beardies don’t like them . Mine eats them occasionally as I use super worms and mealworms as part of the clean up crew she will eat the beetles if she can catch one lol

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Yea darkling beetles are safe . Buffalo beetles too but both of these beetles release a stench for defense when scared so usually beardies don’t like them . Mine eats them occasionally as I use super worms and mealworms as part of the clean up crew she will eat the beetles if she can catch one lol
I was thinking they were safe I just really don’t like flying insects I think I’m going to try and use a fish net or something like that to capture the bugs it may sound confusing but it’s hard to interpret through typing I’ll let you guys know if it works.

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
I’m happy to say that I was able to get rid of the flying beetles with my fishnet technique thank you all for your help!

Snappy's mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've read that the dragons can eat them... so I'm interested in a 2nd opinion too. Thanks. Good thread