• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Antisocial Beardie...

magically

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!!! I am new to this forum, so I’m not sure if this is the right spot for this question/topic. I have been on here to get tips and diet info, but I just signed up today because I am desperate. I’ve had my beardie, Loki, for about 2 and a half years now. I have read that beardies are very social animals, and enjoy being with their caretakers and coming out, but mine seems to be very antisocial!! I take care of him, feeding him a balanced diet (bok choy and alfalfa as staples, raspberries ((his favorite)) once a week, twice if he hasn’t had a regular bowel movement, various other beardie safe veggies, mealworms, silkworms, and occasionally crickets to get him moving!) i have not brought him to a vet due to his panicky state out of fear he will hurt himself on the way there or while there, but have contacted vets with any concerns, showing pictures and giving great detail, all saying he appears to be healthy, and telling me when it is necessary to bring him in, which he has not shown any signs that they have given me. But back to the topic of antisocialness... he absolutely hates being handled. I have been able to take him out a few times, all of which he goes absolutely crazy and doesn’t fully calm down until he is back in his viv. I have tried so many techniques, like leaving a shirt in his viv that smells like me, leaving my hand in his viv to show I am no threat, holding him w his hands and feet on my palms for stability, hand feeding, putting food on my arm in hopes he’ll climb onto it, etc. all of which he is ok with! He lets me gently pet him, but is weird about me touching his head (and tail sometimes) so I avoid doing so. Nothing works! I have also tried luring him out with food, which works, but doesn’t stop his panicky state upon being outside his viv. I do not know what to do... he is very sketchy, I have not hurt him once the years I’ve had him and I’ve always been very gentle with him. He doesn’t seem to hate me, he just seems to hate being handled/coming out of his viv, but I’ve also noticed that when I spend time with my other pets (2 cats, 1 small dog) he stares at me as if he wants to join in. Even then though, when I try to take him out, he resists. Sometimes I feel defeated, but I love him too much to stop trying! Instead of always trying to get him to come out, I have resorted to spending as much time near his viv as possible. I do my makeup next to it, schoolwork, art, and I frequently leave his viv “doors” open (only when I’m present), and sometimes he perches up on the rim, sticking his head out. I like to sit with him w his viv open and talk to him, pet him, etc, to get him as much socialization as i can... Is this normal? Is it okay if I don’t frequently take him out of his viv since he seems to have extreme anxiety over it (despite my many attempts)?? I will continue to do everything mentioned above (unless it is harmful to him), but will he become unhealthy if I don’t frequently take him out? (Also, since he doesn’t like to come out, I change up his habitat every so often and move stuff around to change up the scenery a bit and he loves when I do that!) Any other tips I haven’t mentioned above??? I really love my Loki and would like to be able to bring him out.. but if he doesn’t like to, I don’t want to force him, especially if it is OK to leave him in his viv as long as I am taking care of him and socializing w him as much as possible.

Sorry this is so long!!!!!!! Just felt like I had to disclose everything!!!! Any input is appreciated!!

Attachments

• 0112D04A-DD2E-4D7F-AB8A-E63AD6A241D3.jpeg
    0112D04A-DD2E-4D7F-AB8A-E63AD6A241D3.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 4FBCCE6B-7C94-4E4B-B8FB-2C371634B130.jpeg
    4FBCCE6B-7C94-4E4B-B8FB-2C371634B130.jpeg
    885.8 KB · Views: 18

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He looks like a sweet heart! These damn boys and their behaviors! Just keep doing what you are doing with him, sounds like it's what he likes.

I almost got rid of my boy the first few years I had him. I was at my wits end trying to make him happy. Then one day I had an epiphany, he was happy. I expected him to be like my other dragon, sweet and chill and cuddly, but he was the complete opposite, he was himself. Just like people have their own personalities so do dragons and they can be polar opposites. My girl would come out calmly and lay on my chest and snuggle. He would fight me every time I would bring him out and thrash around. Once out and I put him down, he was fine and ran all around the house, he just didn't want to snuggle or be touched. He also danced around his tank for I swear, it was like 3 years. I thought he wanted out and I would take him out but he would go right back to his tank. He's now 5 and just in the last year he stopped dancing around the tank as much, he only does it now when he needs to go to the bathroom. He still doesn't like to be held much and sometimes when I go to pet him in his tank he will flinch or back away but when he realizes I'm not going to hurt him he relaxes and lets me pet him. I have never hurt him (that I remember) the whole time I've had him. He has a kink in his tail that he didn't have when I got him but I don't know if it was something I did or something he did.

I call him my free spirit and when I just let him be who he wanted to be, things were better in my head. I had to love him a different way from the girls but I still love him. The funny thing is he is my best dragon! He eats anything and everything I put in front of him, not picky at all. I don't have to force or trick him to eat his greens and he poops on cue. He's also never had any medical issues.

So just keep doing what you are doing. Engage him with your voice, touch and pet him when you can. You'll develop your own kind of relationship with him that doesn't involve snuggling, but will still be special.