• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am i doing this wrong??

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I've only owned a bearded dragon since a little before the summer and pretty much everything petsmart told me has seemed to be wrong so I'm kind of teaching my self based on watching ROSIE and getting to know her since not all dragons are the same and have the same preferences right...? Well rosie doesn't move around much in her tank and crawls to the very top of her bridge right below the lid of her enclosure (or she hangs out in her wood at the bottom of the baking area) these are the only two places she hangs out... I've been watching the thermometer inside her tank (it's a cheap one I guess obviously not to exspensive recommended by petsmart) and the temp never goes above like in the 80s granted the thermometer is not up top near the baking light ...but I feel like it's not warm enough for her? The top of her enclosure is metal and the "screen" is metal... could this maybe be blocking heat from getting into the tank? Please help?? I've attached some photos to help explain the lid situation ..if this is wrong any ideas what I can do to fix it would be awesome Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211027_032855.jpg
    20211027_032855.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 20211027_032859.jpg
    20211027_032859.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 20211027_032922.jpg
    20211027_032922.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211027_032928.jpg
    20211027_032928.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20211027_032943.jpg
    20211027_032943.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I've only owned a bearded dragon since a little before the summer and pretty much everything petsmart told me has seemed to be wrong so I'm kind of teaching my self based on watching ROSIE and getting to know her since not all dragons are the same and have the same preferences right...? Well rosie doesn't move around much in her tank and crawls to the very top of her bridge right below the lid of her enclosure (or she hangs out in her wood at the bottom of the baking area) these are the only two places she hangs out... I've been watching the thermometer inside her tank (it's a cheap one I guess obviously not to exspensive recommended by petsmart) and the temp never goes above like in the 80s granted the thermometer is not up top near the baking light ...but I feel like it's not warm enough for her? The top of her enclosure is metal and the "screen" is metal... could this maybe be blocking heat from getting into the tank? Please help?? I've attached some photos to help explain the lid situation ..if this is wrong any ideas what I can do to fix it would be awesome Thank
Welcome to beardie world --- please get this corrected ASAP---- temps in the tank need to be 95-100 for adult / juvie dragon or 105-110 for a babie -- temps MUST be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- the basking light MUST be a bright white bulb like a Exo Terra Intense light ---- next your using a tube UVB I need to know if that fixture your using has a reflector behind it --- what is the bulb your using the brand and the bulb look on it and tell me the brand it will say if its a T 8 or a T 5 on it ---
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...um-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202 please get 2 of these one for your basking side and one for the cool side- place the probe on the spot where the dragon basks wait 10 min or so and then get the temp ---
the basking bulb is what wattage your using? Basking bulbs are going to be trial and error so you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get a accurate temp--- please do this ASAP--- your dragon is not going to eat w/ out proper basking temps and proper placement of the UVB --- that is why I need to know what bulb your using but also the brand -- this is crucial to the dragon

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to beardie world --- please get this corrected ASAP---- temps in the tank need to be 95-100 for adult / juvie dragon or 105-110 for a babie -- temps MUST be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- the basking light MUST be a bright white bulb like a Exo Terra Intense light ---- next your using a tube UVB I need to know if that fixture your using has a reflector behind it --- what is the bulb your using the brand and the bulb look on it and tell me the brand it will say if its a T 8 or a T 5 on it ---
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...um-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202 please get 2 of these one for your basking side and one for the cool side- place the probe on the spot where the dragon basks wait 10 min or so and then get the temp ---
the basking bulb is what wattage your using? Basking bulbs are going to be trial and error so you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get a accurate temp--- please do this ASAP--- your dragon is not going to eat w/ out proper basking temps and proper placement of the UVB --- that is why I need to know what bulb your using but also the brand -- this is crucial to
I'm not exactly sure the brand of the baking bulb my father bought it I wasn't there but it is 100w he got it from petsmart again something they recommended. I'm pretty sure it is not the one you have in the link tho. And the other light is a reptisun t8 10.0 24 inch it does have reflection on it. It doesn't get warm at all idk if that makes a difference or not but I do know its reptisun t8 because I went looking for a bulb at lowes like petsmart told me but was unable to find on so went back to petsmart. I'm using a double dome light for the basking light one has the 100w basking bulb the other has one of those coil Uvb bulbs. The basking light however is pretty bright and gets really hot ...I mean for a human maybe not a reptile lol

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm not exactly sure the brand of the baking bulb my father bought it I wasn't there but it is 100w he got it from petsmart again something they recommended. I'm pretty sure it is not the one you have in the link tho. And the other light is a reptisun t8 10.0 24 inch it does have reflection on it. It doesn't get warm at all idk if that makes a difference or not but I do know its reptisun t8 because I went looking for a bulb at lowes like petsmart told me but was unable to find on so went back to petsmart. I'm using a double dome light for the basking light one has the 100w basking bulb the other has one of those coil Uvb bulbs. The basking light however is pretty bright and gets really hot ...I mean for a human maybe not a reptile lol
The heat bulb is 100w it is a THRIVE

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The heat bulb is 100w it is a THRIVE
Ok so as long as its a bright white and keeping temps to what I posted your good ---ok your T 8 needs to be unobstructed and it looks like it is -- where is it? Is it inside the tank ? If so it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches from it --- and that bulb will need to be changed out in approx 6 months I recommend 5

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so as long as its a bright white and keeping temps to what I posted your good --- what about the UVB I need the info on that and is there a reflector behind the bulb -- it looks like tinfoil and what is the bulb brand and bulb please
The tube light is a reptisun t8 10.0 24 inch it has white behind the tube I guess that's supposed to be the reflector?? I guess I'll start with the thermometers and temps first? Could I be doing something else wrong idk

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so as long as its a bright white and keeping temps to what I posted your good ---ok your T 8 needs to be unobstructed and it looks like it is -- where is it? Is it inside the tank ? If so it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches from it --- and that bulb will need to be changed out in approx 6 months I recommend 5
UVB's do not give heat they get warm but are not supposed to give heat and you have a good UVB ---- is the dragon eating and how old is the dragon?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The tube light is a reptisun t8 10.0 24 inch it has white behind the tube I guess that's supposed to be the reflector?? I guess I'll start with the thermometers and temps first? Could I be doing something else wrong idk
If the UVB fixture has no shiny piece behind it it does not have a reflector on it --- please get one --- you can order a reflector from here but it MUST have a reflector ---- where did the fixture come from PetSmart and is it a Thrive brand ? You can order a reflector from here
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-t8-24-lamp-reflector/#
you need to get the size your fixture is I dont know how long it is but please get one --- its going to be cheaper getting the reflector than buying another whole fixture

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The basking temps and the UVB are the two most important things in that tank -- w/ out them correct and correctly in place the UVB your dragon will not survive ---- how old is the dragon? the link I posted for the reflector is the one you need

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
She eats BUT only if she sees it moving if the food doesn't move shes not interested at all. Shes a hunter for sure. When I let her roam around for a bit she ALL OVER the house but she doesn't move very much in her tank like not at all shes pretty lazy. The only time she ever went to the coll side was to sulk because I removed the wood chips from her tank when I put some back in that's where she always spends her time. I think she likes the feel because she lays in my plant in front of my window as well... is that okay? She doesn't eat more than about 8 or 10 crickets when I feed her and I usually feed her twice a day but she eats less the second time i dont want to force her

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
If the UVB fixture has no shiny piece behind it it does not have a reflector on it --- please get one --- you can order a reflector from here but it MUST have a reflector ---- where did the fixture come from PetSmart and is it a Thrive brand ? You can order a reflector from here
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-t8-24-lamp-reflector/#
you need to get the size your fixture is I dont know how long it is but please get one --- its going to be cheaper getting the reflector than buying another
The fixture is also a reptisun t8 we got it from petsmart as well. It takes up more than half of her tank tho but I CANNOT get her to drink water sometimes if I put drops on her nose she will drink other than that I feel I've tried everything

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She eats BUT only if she sees it moving if the food doesn't move shes not interested at all. Shes a hunter for sure. When I let her roam around for a bit she ALL OVER the house but she doesn't move very much in her tank like not at all shes pretty lazy. The only time she ever went to the coll side was to sulk because I removed the wood chips from her tank when I put some back in that's where she always spends her time. I think she likes the feel because she lays in my plant in front of my window as well... is that okay? She doesn't eat more than about 8 or 10 crickets when I feed her and I usually feed her twice a day but she eats less the second time i dont want to force her
Shes eating now but the basking temps and the UVB need to be corrected or she will stop eating -- the tank is too cold if its only 80 w/ the stick on --you need to get that digital probe thermometer ASAP to get the accurate temp - the 80 degree temp is for cool side of the tank she should be basking for at least 4 hrs per day --- please let her adjust to the tank -- she needs time to acclimate to the tank and she needs to be basking or she will not be able to digest her food --- are you dusting the insects? Calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated and Vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- this is for a baby --- is your dragon a baby??????????????? She should be getting fresh salads every morning --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --
Wood chips are bad for baby dragons if she eats one it can damage the inside of her stomach or intestines --- please get rid of them --- replace w/ paper towels for now and get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart to your local home improvement store -- cut to the size of the tank --- easy to clean and more sanitary and safer clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 --- please do this ASAP------

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
Shes eating now but the basking temps and the UVB need to be corrected or she will stop eating -- the tank is too cold if its only 80 w/ the stick on --you need to get that digital probe thermometer ASAP to get the accurate temp - the 80 degree temp is for cool side of the tank she should be basking for at least 4 hrs per day --- please let her adjust to the tank -- she needs time to acclimate to the tank and she needs to be basking or she will not be able to digest her food --- are you dusting the insects? Calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated and Vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- this is for a baby --- is your dragon a baby??????????????? She should be getting fresh salads every morning --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --
Wood chips are bad for baby dragons if she eats one it can damage the inside of her stomach or intestines --- please get rid of them --- replace w/ paper towels for now and get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart to your local home improvement store -- cut to the size of the tank --- easy to clean and more sanitary and safer clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 --- please do this ASAP------
I do dust her food usually her salads I'm working with her on getting used to salads the breeder i got her from had a bowl of meal worms in her tank with a HUGE pile of powder and I'm assuming that's what she ate with him she was in a tank with another lizard who had no tale at all her tale on the end is damaged but it's not spreading and not getting worse i asked him about it he said she'd be fine so far it doesn't look worse. My dad cut some flooring down that we had extra from putting in our kitchen and she hated it so I added the wood bad in but the wood chips are a pretty big size and she doesn't eat them she only snuggles her face in them almost like comfort for her without them she hides under her rock and doesn't want to come out at al

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dragons get most of their moisture from their salads --- rinse the salads before serving ----- offering water on her nose is good dragons do not drink a lot of water they are a desert animal --- post a pic of the fixture or a link to what you have please -- https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...reptile-terrarium-hood-14902.html?cgid=500114 is this what your using?
The breeder said she was 4 months I've had her for like a month n a half maybe 2 months shes a little longer than 7 inches

Attachments

• 20211027_063604.jpg
    20211027_063604.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211027_063631.jpg
    20211027_063631.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do dust her food usually her salads I'm working with her on getting used to salads the breeder i got her from had a bowl of meal worms in her tank with a HUGE pile of powder and I'm assuming that's what she ate with him she was in a tank with another lizard who had no tale at all her tale on the end is damaged but it's not spreading and not getting worse i asked him about it he said she'd be fine so far it doesn't look worse. My dad cut some flooring down that we had extra from putting in our kitchen and she hated it so I added the wood bad in but the wood chips are a pretty big size and she doesn't eat them she only snuggles her face in them almost like comfort for her without them she hides under her rock and doesn't want to come out at al
How old is the dragon???????????????? She should not be on wood chips at all ---- they are bad ---- the flooring is fine as long as shes not slipping all over the tank --- please dust the insects not the salad you want her to get the vitamins but you MUST have proper basking temps and the UVB correct or she WILL STOP eating and w/ her hiding under the rock tells me something is off in the tank -- please post a pic of the tank again not all in separate parts but the whole tank -- babies should not be fed meal worms they are too hard on the stomach -- her intestines have not fully developed and can cause impaction she should be eating crickets or dubia roaches along w/ salads every day -- she is going thru relocation stress so the eating is going to be off for now but her appetite should increase and if it doesnt and she stops eating that is not good --- that is why you must get the basking temps and UVB corrected --- NO obstruction for the rays -- she needs to be able to get them directly --- do not have the UVB sitting on the screen if it is--------------- 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- this is going to prevent MBD --- she needs to UVB to absorb the calcium shes eating ---

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the dragon???????????????? She should not be on wood chips at all ---- they are bad ---- the flooring is fine as long as shes not slipping all over the tank --- please dust the insects not the salad you want her to get the vitamins but you MUST have proper basking temps and the UVB correct or she WILL STOP eating and w/ her hiding under the rock tells me something is off in the tank -- please post a pic of the tank again not all in separate parts but the whole tank -- babies should not be fed meal worms they are too hard on the stomach -- her intestines have not fully developed and can cause impaction she should be eating crickets or dubia roaches along w/ salads every day -- she is going thru relocation stress so the eating is going to be off for now but her appetite should increase and if it doesnt and she stops eating that is not good --- that is why you must get the basking temps and UVB corrected --- NO obstruction for the rays -- she needs to be able to get them directly --- do not have the UVB sitting on the screen if it is--------------- 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- this is going to prevent MBD --- she needs to UVB to absorb the calcium shes eating ---
The uvb is stuck to the side of the tank I couldn't figure out how to mount it directly above because of the way the tank opens on both sides her basking rock is level with the uvb she can soak it up that way right? But she doesn't like her rock she has a hanging bridge maybe an inch above the rock she spends time on that alot

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The breeder said she was 4 months I've had her for like a month n a half maybe 2 months shes a little longer than 7 inches
Please take it off the back wall and place downward so the rays are being reflected downward -- it needs to be directly over her --- use this it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips then wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
or take the screen off and have it sitting width wise over the basking area ---- make sure you have the distance I have posted --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The uvb is stuck to the side of the tank I couldn't figure out how to mount it directly above because of the way the tank opens on both sides her basking rock is level with the uvb she can soak it up that way right? But she doesn't like her rock she has a hanging bridge maybe an inch above the rock she spends time on that alot
Post a pic of the whole tank please --- I am going to work now I wont respond to you till later

Rebeccaa.d143

Bearded Dragon Egg
What should I put for her to snuggle into?? She would like a little cloth be ok or something like that? She naps ALL the time in me and always snuggle into my blanket or sweater or even crawls into my bra