• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am I doing this right?

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
Let's concentrate on getting her eating at this point you can use paper towels to replace sand-- we need those basking temps up to 105-110 this is key along w/ UVB for now

I found 10 or so Dubai roaches and moved them to the old crickets pen after I released the crickets, I'll see if Nel will like one. I ordered a well rated probe, It'll get here on thursday, everything is coming late due to the virus. I live in Washington, which is the worst state with the virus in the US. I also will order veggies, and baby food chicken and squash, and more Dubai roaches. Should I do the heating pad along with my ceramic heater at night? The basking spot he/she stays all day long is 7.5 inches from the basking light, and the UVB is 12 inches from the basking light. I gave a bath about an hour ago and used the syringe to feed pumpkin puree with a tiny droplet of olive oil. I got some in his/her mouth until he/she bit me. He/she swallowed and I also gave some water through the syringe. After I fed him/her I did the bath and he/she drank some water on by him/her self.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
I found 10 or so Dubai roaches and moved them to the old crickets pen after I released the crickets, I'll see if Nel will like one. I ordered a well rated probe, It'll get here on thursday, everything is coming late due to the virus. I live in Washington, which is the worst state with the virus in the US. I also will order veggies, and baby food chicken and squash, and more Dubai roaches. Should I do the heating pad along with my ceramic heater at night? The basking spot he/she stays all day long is 7.5 inches from the basking light, and the UVB is 12 inches from the basking light. I gave a bath about an hour ago and used the syringe to feed pumpkin puree with a tiny droplet of olive oil. I got some in his/her mouth until he/she bit me. He/she swallowed and I also gave some water through the syringe. After I fed him/her I did the bath and he/she drank some water on by him/her self.

Just went to check on him/her, he/she pooped, just one little bit. It was a bit orange, and there was some smeared on his poop hole. He/she even moved off the basking spot and went down the ramp to find a cooler area. Still a bit limp, and still won't eat. Just placed an order for veggies, and the baby food.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
Ok no heating pad - you really need that probe to see what the temps are- I did not know you had a ceramic heat emitter--- I want you to keep temps up at nite around 80- it will help w/ immune system- is she moving around or lethargic?

Just went to check on him/her, he/she pooped, just one little bit. It was a bit orange, and there was some smeared on his poop hole. He/she even moved off the basking spot and went down the ramp to find a cooler area. Still a bit limp, and still won't eat. Just placed an order for veggies, and the baby food. Still somewhat lethargic.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
It's good she's moving and pooped- keep.up w/ what your doing - the more she eats she will get more energy - so slow and steady

Found another poop, and I put him/her back at the basking spot just in case he/she couldn't get up due to being lethargic. Sometimes he/she will walk a little bit, but stop and start being limp again. I'll give him/her more pumpkin puree and water.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
If she moves away from the basking spot leave her be-- it maybe too hot for her or she just needs a break from it

Just force fed some more pumpkin puree, he/she ate most. I feel bad force feeding, he/she does swallow, but sometimes uses his/her tongue to push out the puree. Also found him/her laying like this?
upload_2020-3-16_14-31-40.png

upload_2020-3-16_14-31-55.png

I don't know if he/she is getting better or worse. Nel has pooped twice and I've forced fed, but he/she is still very lethargic.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
You need to get her into the vet and have her tested for adinnovirus-- where did you get her at? Go to this website and find a vet. www.arav.org
If you find one in your area call them find out how much a test is for adinnovirus is

I got Nel from petsmart, out of all the babies he/she was the calmest and seemed to like being held. I noticed wobbly walking after a day or so but I assumed it was because he/she is very young. I also noticed star gazing, but assumed he/she just liked to put his/her head to the heat from the basking light. Should I call the petsmart or the exotic vet I usually go to for my other pets? Or should I go to that website and call someone? And Nel has never gaped before, that was the first time I saw it happen. I searched up the virus and noticed he/she has all the symptoms. I feel so sad and sorry for him/her. Most of my pets I've rescued and planned on rescuing an adult bearded dragon from the same shelter most of my pets came from, but after I had set everything up and come back for the adult, he was gone. He was the only bearded dragon at the shelter, so instead I went to petsmart and got a baby, even though I hadn't planned for a baby. I read that a lot of bearded dragons get ADV if they are bought from pet stores. I have some greens I can mix, but not turnip.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
Your exotic vet is she/ he familiar w/ bearded dragons? If so take her there--- I am so sorry for you and her -- tell them you suspect adv and where you got her from

I'll call the place, they have all sorts of doctors that do specific animals. I used to bring my old hedgehog there, and currently bring my parrot. Nel is completely limp, but still breathing.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
Sometimes he/she seems to improve but then goes back to looking dead. It's like a constant rollercoaster right now. I've been force feeding calcium dusted dubai roaches.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
You need to get her into the vet--- ASAP-- is she keeping the roaches down- are you syringe feeding water? Little at a time you don't want her to aspirate-

I'm bringing him/her into the vet tomorrow afternoon. When I get the roach into his/her mouth he/she chews and swallow by self. I've been syringe feeding water, and also put some kale in his/her mout and he/she chewed and swallowed that too.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
Ok it's good she's eating-- make sure you get a copy of the vet visit along w/ blood work done if any is done--- which it should be - also take a fecal in -- NO ENEMAS- they are way too hard on them and she is too young--- keep me posted please

I got a new digital probe today and the temperatures were only 100 with just my basking light and UVB, so I turned on my ceramic heater to see if it'll get to the correct temperatures needed for Nel. I also went ahead and looked into a new basking bulb that is 150 watts instead of just 100. I also looked into a heat lamp stand because reviews said it may be too hot just on the surface of the terrarium top. My vet moved the appointment back to Thursday and told me to continue force feeding and see if any improvements occur until the appointment. Here's the new basking things I picked out for Nels 40 breeder gallon tank:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OVIR4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D58KL8D/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
The heat emitter can sit on top of your screen - mine do and they are fine --- dont get the stand -- the basking bulb is good but make sure you take a temp after about 10 minutes or so of having it on - make sure the tank is already warm when taking the temp - if the tank is cold from sitting over nite it will take longer to heat up- w/ the heat emitter being on the stand your gonna haft to lower it into the tank to get the tank you want the temp at --- that 150 basking bulb should be enough for the day -- its at nite if you need the tank to be over 65 and w/ her being sick you want it around 80 -- can you show me what your getting for the heat emitter ?

I already have a ceramic heat emitter that I already always have on at night. I turned on the ceramic heat emitter a few hours ago to see if the probes tempature readings would go up. With the ceramic on with the UVB and basking my thermometer heat gun reads 108 F and the new probe reads 100.4 F.

This is the new probe I am using:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00101KWVU/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This is my infrared thermometer I have used many times:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5KCBM2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
What is the material she is sitting on - is it the hammock ? Can you put a different piece of decor under that basking area - the hammock is throwing the infrared heat gun off

I've been watching him/her during my free time and she/he keeps rolling? He/she will be sleeping and then all of a sudden roll. I also saw two toes twitching a little bit. The temperatures are around 106-108 during the day and 86-90 at night.

Rebecca Talbot

Hatchling Dragon
Rolling like over? That is not good_--- it will be good when you get her in but I am thinking neurological issues

I wanted to say thank you for all your help. Nel unfortunately did not make it. I see no breathing and he/she is un-responsive, but I'm keeping her/him under basking just in case he/she is alive. He/she hasn't been responsive for about 9 hours, but no black beard. No blinking or even slight movement when I pick him/her up, but I'm too afraid to go bury him/her just in case he/she is just breathing too lightly for me to see.