• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Allergy to bearded dragon?

Beardielove363

Hatchling Dragon
Hello I have a bearded dragon named journey... when she spikes me and anytime I handle her I get really itchy all over I also get small rashes where she or her tail has touched.... can someone please tell me if they know if I'm allergic to her.
Thank you.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello I have a bearded dragon named journey... when she spikes me and anytime I handle her I get really itchy all over I also get small rashes where she or her tail has touched.... can someone please tell me if they know if I'm allergic to her.
Thank you.
I have also posted this in general bearded dragon discussion...
What is Journey on for substrate --- we need to rule out what shes touching to make sure its actually HER your allergic to --- it could be something shes coming in contact w/ and not actually her --- you can bathe her in some non scented baby shampoo to get what ever is on her then test to see if you break out again but you need to hold her right out of the bath so she hasnt had time to touch anything --- if you dont then its something shes coming in contact w/ in the tank --- if you still do then yes you probably are allergic to her try that and see what happens

Beardielove363

Hatchling Dragon
What is Journey on for substrate --- we need to rule out what shes touching to make sure its actually HER your allergic to --- it could be something shes coming in contact w/ and not actually her --- you can bathe her in some non scented baby shampoo to get what ever is on her then test to see if you break out again but you need to hold her right out of the bath so she hasnt had time to touch anything --- if you dont then its something shes coming in contact w/ in the tank --- if you still do then yes you probably are allergic to her try that and see what happens
We use the carpet and it is cleaned regularly

Beardielove363

Hatchling Dragon
She cant be in any type of sand or anything because of her eye problems...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She cant be in any type of sand or anything because of her eye problems...
I agree---- the carpet maybe harboring bacteria that your allergic to --- please do the bathing thing first --- if you are not getting a reaction from her after that then it may be the carpet -- it is trial and error to figure out cause --- if it is the carpet change it out to some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- from Walmart or your local home improvement store --- cut to the size of your tank and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution ---

Beardielove363

Hatchling Dragon
I agree---- the carpet maybe harboring bacteria that your allergic to --- please do the bathing thing first --- if you are not getting a reaction from her after that then it may be the carpet -- it is trial and error to figure out cause --- if it is the carpet change it out to some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- from Walmart or your local home improvement store --- cut to the size of your tank and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution ---
I will and we are having a very hard time finding that liner if you could find a link for me I would appreciate it

Beardielove363

Hatchling Dragon
Hello everyone sorry I lost my password and just found it I just washed my beardie and put her on my arm I did not get itchy or get a rash so far I would appreciate it if @Sadie would send me a link for the tank liner again... I thank everyone for their input.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I held my bearded dragon after I gave her a bath and had no itchy reaction or rash.
Ok so it's something she's coming in contact w/ if she's in carpeting I would get her off of it or any loose substrate