• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

All about Hornworms

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm wondering about hornworms. I think Dexter would love them. She eats her crickets but she would rather have an insect that is a little slower and comes to her, she's a little lazy! She would rather stick her tongue out as far as she can to get a cricket rather than actually get up and move closer to it.

What can you guys tell me about hornworms? How do I store them, what do they eat, etc. etc. I was looking at Great Lakes Hornworm. They are close by and seem to have good prices.

Chrisw

Hatchling Dragon
They eat hornworm chow . Only hornworm chow. Its expensive to keep hornworms as staples. they are good for hydration.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They eat hornworm chow . Only hornworm chow. Its expensive to keep hornworms as staples. they are good for hydration.

Thanks. I wouldn't do them as a staple, I still have to keep crickets in the house for other critters. I was thinking of maybe just getting them occasionally. It's good to know that they are good for hydration.

Chrisw

Hatchling Dragon
They're like big water bags. We feed these to our bearded dragons when they come out of brumation. If you want to save a little bit of money, you could breed them yourself and just buy the food that they need. My signature has a link for how to breed horn worms if you are interested.

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
Mine love horns.when I have them shipped in the come in a tall deli cup with chow in it.they grow super fast in warm heat so if u can save money buying small ones I would do that.from very small to like 3 in it takes maybe 5 days haha

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
My dragon goes berserk over them. I have to be careful because she gets spoiled on them easily, so I usually only give her 1 a day at most when I get them. One thing to keep in mind is they eat a LOT poop a LOT and grow FAST. If I get 15 the food is usually gone in a matter of days. When your dragon chomps on them be prepared for a potential mess - one bite at the right angle and they can squirt goo. :D

Not my favorite treat to give her but she enjoys them quite a bit. You may find your dragon suddenly gets more active when you offer them. :)

Portmanmike

Juvenile Dragon
I give mine horned worms every day he loves em
image.jpg