• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

aggressive behavior

Scotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
my BD is i have no idea how old.. about 7 and 1/2 inches long with the tail... and he was the nicest ever a reptile could be and yesterday i noticed that he was running around his enclosure... Hissing? it was so weird and then today i opened the top of the cage and he darted out and ran down the hall making a break for it lol and i grabbed him and he BIT me twice. he was clencted onto my index finger. now, he is shedding but hes shed with me many times before but this behavior is nothing like what it normally is.. anyone know what might be going on?!

Scotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
They do act a little strange when shedding, but yours sounds extreme. Lets wait for the experts to come around, see what they say.

good thinkin' but yes, i mean he didnt just "bite me" he seriously like tried to bite my index finger off. it left mouth marks on my skin.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My first thought would be that perhaps he just isnt a Monday person...lol...seriously tho you did mention that he is in shed and that certainly could be the answer to his agitation...have you checked your temps in your enclosure? If they are out of whack that can lead to different behaviors in many reptiles. That would be my first thing to chek and correct if needed. Size of the enclosure being too small can contribute to restlessness too as can seeing his own reflection in the glass of a tank enclosure..males can be very territorial and I.have witnessed Mungi seeing his reflection before and bristling up ready for a fight and infact slam against the glass in order to try and get at "the other dragon on his turf" lol...these are all relatively simply fixed situations...for instance a background can help dispell the reflections.
You are also at 7 1/2 inches dealing with an adolescent...no telling what amount of hormones are beginning to rage. Its all part of the growing process and can certainly lead to bizarre behavior.
My main point here is that there are many many possibilities to what cause the aggresive outburst but I dont think you truly have anything to be overly concerned with as long as you are providing your dragon with the proper housing and habitat and nutrition that he requires.
All creatures have off days and even really bad days and more than likely today was one of his bad days.
As far as his biting you if you think about it it is not surprizing...he was agitated to start with..you opened his enclosure and approached him from above as a predator in the wild would do...he fled what in his state at the time he saw as a threat and suddenly he was out of his home and running away down the hall and didnt know where to run to...you went after him when he was scared and snatched him up...again in the wild that is exactly what a predator would do...sooooo he did exactly what was natural and bit you in defense thinking you were gonna hurt him or worse.
Most folks forget that eventhough these beadies may have been born in captivity that they are not domesticated creatures but are still wild and they still have the instincts of their cousins that live in the wild and that as docile as they are 95% of the time they can still and do have their wild moments. It's like that when dealing with any reptiles and something that you have to remember.
Take for instance the baby python that I was looking at today...took him out of the enclosure and immediately I saw the build up coming...I was handleing him very gently and the guy at the store was taking about how sweet and docile this particular ball python is and how its one of the nicest ones they have gotten in in a long time and just as he was saying that the lil guy spun his head around and latched onto me....lol...I looked at the guy and said Glad he's not one of the mean ones!...lol
Your beardie was probably having a bad day is all...I have learned that one of the best and.most important things you can do in caring for a reptile in particular is to observe them...the more time you spend just watching them the more you will pick up on their quirks.
Next time you see him agitated, give him some room...check his temps and if they are good then leave him be...he may just not want to be picked up at that time...come back later and see how he is acting...you will probably see a different dragon and be able to easily handle him then.
Hope this helps at least a lil...Enjoy your evening!

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)

Scotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks a lot! he's asleep right now and tomorrow i will definitely double check his temps and make everything
is in check. and Lol, i don't trust any snakes no matter what any one says.. snakes to me are death waiting to happen. I am so deathly afraid of them.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Lol...good deal and I am sure tomorrow.will be a much better day for.your beardie;)
Snakes and me have a tenative relationship and in truth I am most unsure around any of them because of the unpredicabilty of even.the most docile of them...but they are fascinating creatures and can be just as much fun to experience as any of the reptiles.
As long as there is no venom envolved then a bite is just a bite and all part of it and I knew that lil guy was really not wanting to be handled as soon as I put my hand.on him so my getting bit was totally my fault...lol
Got hit hard once by a Water Moccasin and it cost me 5 days in intensive care and a VERY large medical bill...it however was my fault again..I grew up in the swamps of Southern Louisiana around them...I knew the snake and that they are one that is aggresive and that wont flee but that day I.had a brand new fishing rod and my thoughts were more on casting my new rig...didnt show the snake the.proper respect, got a lil too close and BAM hit let me know in a major way...lol...not fun being by yourself, 15 miles from the nearest hospital and just having a P'd off snake unload on you..lol
Anyhow...its all good and ended good and so will the relationship and understanding be the longer you and your dragon are together...you will understand him and see his signs better better....all creatures give them..its just a matter of learning the language;)
Nite!

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)