• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggression after pet sitter watched our dragon

TayMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys,

I’m hoping someone may have some perspective on this. We got our dragon a month ago. He is now about 12-13 weeks old. He’s been super friendly and fun and never once shown an ounce of agression towards us. He’s handled daily as well.

We went out of town last week for 5 days and had a pet sitter visit him daily to feed him and clean his terrarium. There was nothing else she was asked to do.

After returning from our trip, he doesn’t want us near him. He puffs up and opens his mouth if we approach. Once we get a hold of him, he calms down and relaxes, but each subsequent time we attempt to pick him up, the same behavior happens.

Obviously something happened while we were gone, and obviously we aren’t going to get an answer about what exactly that was.

What I’m hoping to figure out is a way to regain his trust. He doesn’t appear to have any injuries and is acting normally outside of the reaction to being picked up. My daughter is heart broken that she can’t hold him right now, and I’m at a loss as to how to help him. We appreciate all advice and perspective!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They sometimes don't like change. You just have to start over with him and go slow and regain his trust. Once he knows you aren't going to leave him again he should settle in again.