• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice please. (skinny, frail, limping)

N4T4LIE

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a very healthy male dragon, he is ace. My concern is with a female I've just been given as the previous owners felt they didn't have time, that she slept too much and didn't eat. Her set up is strange compared to mine. Her viv is 4ft so plenty big enough. She has a strip light, a basking lamp and a ceramic heat bulb. The temperature was reading 147°f. I've turned all off for now to allow temperature to drop. She's skinny, frail and limped a little. Best advice needed as she maybe dehydrated and needs to build up her eating carefully. I think she's about 4.
Thanks in advance.

Terra66

Hatchling Dragon
I have a very healthy male dragon, he is ace. My concern is with a female I've just been given as the previous owners felt they didn't have time, that she slept too much and didn't eat. Her set up is strange compared to mine. Her viv is 4ft so plenty big enough. She has a strip light, a basking lamp and a ceramic heat bulb. The temperature was reading 147°f. I've turned all off for now to allow temperature to drop. She's skinny, frail and limped a little. Best advice needed as she maybe dehydrated and needs to build up her eating carefully. I think she's about 4.
Thanks in advance.
I would take her to the vet. Is she pooping normally?
I'd give her a nice nutritious salad, maybe a few crickets or roaches and proper Temps
The vet can give more advice than that.
Good luck with her! I'd love to see some pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4T4LIE

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. Thank you for your comment. I know the move would be stress induced too but I've had to completely clear her viv. There were thousands of meal worms alive and dead, dead hoppers. It was smelly. So I've used reptile carpet for now as all I had. I bathed her too, she was unbelievably filthy. I've put a selection of veggies and also some mushed veggies that are right next to her. She doesn't respond to much and only opens her eyes for split seconds. Her fat pads are sunk in too. I'll do my best with her. Will add some pics of my fat boy and her now.
IMG_20181011_180427.jpg
IMG-20181011-WA0010.jpeg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe what a cutie.. I would see about getting some fluid in her like come critical care, or use a magic bullet and blend up some good greens like collards/turnip/dandelion/mustard greens with some pure coconut water and use as a slurry but be sure to go SLOWLY so she doesn't aspirate any in her weakend state.
Maybe see if she'll eat a hornworm for some fluid..

N4T4LIE

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. Tried to do what you suggested above but I can't get her mouth open. She keeps her eyes closed but gently flinches, It's the only response I get from anything. Hopefully she'll get some rest and peace while I'm out at work and I'll try again later.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hi. Tried to do what you suggested above but I can't get her mouth open. She keeps her eyes closed but gently flinches, It's the only response I get from anything. Hopefully she'll get some rest and peace while I'm out at work and I'll try again later.

To get them to eat out of a syringe, go from the side of the mouth where the lips are looser. Use the syringe to gently open the lips and squirt a little in. It might run out a bit but usually once they get the taste of something in their mouth they start licking and then you can very slowly start putting it on their tongue.