• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on over terratorial beardie

Maxea_May

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon Zøg, is about 2 years old and he used to be very chill. The past few months every time I get him out his beard goes black almost immediately. He has no interest in anything other than running up to the other reptiles tanks and head bobbing at them or trying to fight them through the glass. Unfortunately my house is not big enough to have him in a separate room so whichever room hes in there are going to be other reptiles in there. Even if I have him the other side of the room facing away he always finds his way back to one of them.. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it as I hate to think of him being stressed out/overly territorial in his home.

Logically covering the glass of the other tanks would probably fix this but we have a lot, including sav monitor and Chinese water dragon so their tanks are very big... so any other suggestions would be amazing!

Attachments

• 20220814_163121.jpg
    20220814_163121.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My bearded dragon Zøg, is about 2 years old and he used to be very chill. The past few months every time I get him out his beard goes black almost immediately. He has no interest in anything other than running up to the other reptiles tanks and head bobbing at them or trying to fight them through the glass. Unfortunately my house is not big enough to have him in a separate room so whichever room hes in there are going to be other reptiles in there. Even if I have him the other side of the room facing away he always finds his way back to one of them.. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it as I hate to think of him being stressed out/overly territorial in his home.

Logically covering the glass of the other tanks would probably fix this but we have a lot, including sav monitor and Chinese water dragon so their tanks are very big... so any other suggestions would be amazing!
The only thing I can suggest is you dont let him out anymore - your stressing him out by letting him see these other reptiles in the room- I wouldnt think he would bother w/ the different reptiles but something is going on here I am not aware of - usually its other dragons that stress them out and they should not be able to see each other -- so either take him outside for some good UVB and temps or dont let him out in the house anymore - if hes outside he cant see them and he still gets out- you will need to supervise him when hes out tho -

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
The only thing I can suggest is you dont let him out anymore - your stressing him out by letting him see these other reptiles in the room- I wouldnt think he would bother w/ the different reptiles but something is going on here I am not aware of - usually its other dragons that stress them out and they should not be able to see each other -- so either take him outside for some good UVB and temps or dont let him out in the house anymore - if hes outside he cant see them and he still gets out- you will need to supervise him when hes out tho -
Maybe he needs a girlfriend?

Maxea_May

Bearded Dragon Egg
weird how he used to be ok with them before though, maybe because he's a bit older now? Idk. I dont live in a particularly warm country so I can't frequently take him outside sadly... and not letting him out at all is definitly not a solution. I'll have to keep doing research I guess

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

You cannot cover any reptiles tank completely there always has to be at least the front of the glass open and visible to see out of it. Sadly, u cannot let the reptile see the others it’s very stressful for them and there is no solution. Why so many reptiles and u need to sanitize befire and after touching each reptile. Coccidia is very common and it’s imperative to be super duper careful. Aside from all that; a high stress environment is NOT healthy for the bearded dragon at all. Maybe turn the cage the other way and let him watch tv. Beardies like movement and watching things; it’s their entertainment. So try and face that enclosure away from the other reptiles. GoodLuck

Latest posts