• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on diet

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Hello guys the is my rescued dragon his name is Luigi history on him his very first owners basically did bare minimum basically let him around other animals and kids that treated him rough so when the second owners got him his tail and missing toes/toe nails he already had so they were giving him super worms but no calcium or anything like this was there first bearded dragon then they hit a low spot with money so when they were about to give him to me he was maybe eating 1 or 2 bugs a week from the yard what ever they could find and all he had for light was a uvb no basking light and he was in a dark shed......now to present day when I got him I didn't think he was going to make it threw the night he was sooooo sick so I but the proper heat and light and began feeding him the proper diet calcium and vitamins he has perked up only 1 problem..... I can't seem to eat any of the collard greens my other 2 bearded dragons eat greens and bugs like normal just not him he only wants bugs any advice to get him to eat them I even tried to trick him he's to smart for that...... sorry for the long read I just wanted to give a back story..... and don't worry when I handle him I change my clothes and wash my hand very well before handling my other before handling my other beardies so they won't get parasites he might have

Attachments

• 20211027_121342.jpg
    20211027_121342.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211027_121331.jpg
    20211027_121331.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Hello guys the is my rescued dragon his name is Luigi history on him his very first owners basically did bare minimum basically let him around other animals and kids that treated him rough so when the second owners got him his tail and missing toes/toe nails he already had so they were giving him super worms but no calcium or anything like this was there first bearded dragon then they hit a low spot with money so when they were about to give him to me he was maybe eating 1 or 2 bugs a week from the yard what ever they could find and all he had for light was a uvb no basking light and he was in a dark shed......now to present day when I got him I didn't think he was going to make it threw the night he was sooooo sick so I but the proper heat and light and began feeding him the proper diet calcium and vitamins he has perked up only 1 problem..... I can't seem to eat any of the collard greens my other 2 bearded dragons eat greens and bugs like normal just not him he only wants bugs any advice to get him to eat them I even tried to trick him he's to smart for that...... sorry for the long read I just wanted to give a back story..... and don't worry when I handle him I change my clothes and wash my hand very well before handling my other before handling my other beardies so they won't get parasites he might have
Sorry about the typos I was typing fast lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry about the typos I was typing fast lol
What are the basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick on please and the UVB what are you using a coil or a long tube fixture and where in the tank is the long tube if thas what your using? From the way it sounds he is hooked on the insects only --- you can try and get some BSFL and start using them to lure him to the bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl to keep them in one like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
you can also use some bee pollen from Walmart to sprinkle on his salads as well - the BSFL are a good staple feeder and you can use as many as you want --- how have you tried to trick him?

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Thank god you have rescued him! Its so sickening how some ppl treat their animals!! What a handsome guy! What if you add the black fly larvae to his veggies? Or a tiny bit if sugar free fruit juice to "sweeten it up?" I heard you can do that. Or the flavored calcium powder..I've seen strawberry banana..if you sprinkled a lil on veggies? I know you said he's smart tho..lol!

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
What are the basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick on please and the UVB what are you using a coil or a long tube fixture and where in the tank is the long tube if thas what your using? From the way it sounds he is hooked on the insects only --- you can try and get some BSFL and start using them to lure him to the bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl to keep them in one like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
you can also use some bee pollen from Walmart to sprinkle on his salads as well - the BSFL are a good staple feeder and you can use as many as you want --- how have you tried to trick him?
I do have stick on as well as the digital so I look at both and the basking side is between 90 to 100 and low side is about 80 he runs around pretty well and eats bugs very well just will not eat 1 vegetable he looks at it and turns away and how I have tried to trick him is by putting a super worm by his face and when he goes to eat the super trade it with the greens and he just spits it out

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Thank god you have rescued him! Its so sickening how some ppl treat their animals!! What a handsome guy! What if you add the black fly larvae to his veggies? Or a tiny bit if sugar free fruit juice to "sweeten it up?" I heard you can do that. Or the flavored calcium powder..I've seen strawberry banana..if you sprinkled a lil on veggies? I know you said he's smart tho..lol!
I felt so bad for him when I got him he was so cold and in a dark shed and when I saw him he had no light on him and was weak and I saw the flavored calcium but I didn't know about the other stuff I'll have to try that cause at this point I don't know how to get him to eat greens lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do have stick on as well as the digital so I look at both and the basking side is between 90 to 100 and low side is about 80 he runs around pretty well and eats bugs very well just will not eat 1 vegetable he looks at it and turns away and how I have tried to trick him is by putting a super worm by his face and when he goes to eat the super trade it with the greens and he just spits it out
Lol--- stubborn little bugger! Normal-- try the bsfl www.symtonbsf.com order large DO NOT dust them - use them as lures feed them on his salads as many as you want-

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
OMG smart lil guy..that is too cute tho..

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
I felt so bad for him when I got him he was so cold and in a dark shed and when I saw him he had no light on him and was weak and I saw the flavored calcium but I didn't know about the other stuff I'll have to try that cause at this point I don't know how to get him to eat greens lol
Ohh that makes me want to cry. I'm so glad you saved him! Thanks to you he's living his best life! ❤

Latest posts