• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice needed desperately!! (maybe it was hibernation?)

Addi_723

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon passed away last year. I had a hard time with it but I’ve been better as time went on. I recently saw an article over bearded dragon hibernation, and how it can look a lot like they passed away. I have horrible anxiety and now I’m having panic attacks thinking my baby wasn’t really dead. He was still, I never picked him up (my dad did) and we buried him and everything. I assume my dad did something to check he had passed for sure, but is there anything that distinctively tells you the difference so I can have some reassurance? I can’t remember if he was stiff which I saw was a sign, and I’m just spiraling.

Addi_723

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon passed away last year. I had a hard time with it but I’ve been better as time went on. I recently saw an article over bearded dragon hibernation, and how it can look a lot like they passed away. I have horrible anxiety and now I’m having panic attacks thinking my baby wasn’t really dead. He was still, I never picked him up (my dad did) and we buried him and everything. I assume my dad did something to check he had passed for sure, but is there anything that distinctively tells you the difference so I can have some reassurance? I can’t remember if he was stiff which I saw was a sign, and I’m just spiraling.
(In addition) When we found him his mouth was slightly agape, leading me to believe he had passed. So if that clarifies it to anyone let me know please.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
(In addition) When we found him his mouth was slightly agape, leading me to believe he had passed. So if that clarifies it to anyone let me know please.
I am sorry your dragon passed and feeling the anxiety of not knowing for sure is a terrible feeling --- was your dragon gray in color stiffness will also be a definite sign as well as temp of the body - where was he when you found him? In the hide--- under his basking lights ? Was he showing any signs of being sick? Not eating --- lethargic-- lighting in the tank also has everything to keeping a dragon healthy - if those are incorrect surface basking temps and coil UVB's are a health hazard --

Addi_723

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well I blocked a lot of it out because I didn’t like to remember when that happened. I can’t remember the color exactly, but I came upstairs and he was laying against the glass and on the tile, his mouth was kinda left agape and open. I knocked on the glass gently and opened the door and there was no response. At that point I ran down to get my dad who brought him down in the blanket I made him. We had him gently in a box for about a day before we buried him. My dad said he closed his mouth before he brought him down so I’m assuming he did pass away. I got him from another family and the stress of rehoming made him not eat at all, no matter how hard I tried, and I think he had been sick. The family I got him from had a great big tank and did lots of research, (as Did I).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I blocked a lot of it out because I didn’t like to remember when that happened. I can’t remember the color exactly, but I came upstairs and he was laying against the glass and on the tile, his mouth was kinda left agape and open. I knocked on the glass gently and opened the door and there was no response. At that point I ran down to get my dad who brought him down in the blanket I made him. We had him gently in a box for about a day before we buried him. My dad said he closed his mouth before he brought him down so I’m assuming he did pass away. I got him from another family and the stress of rehoming made him not eat at all, no matter how hard I tried, and I think he had been sick. The family I got him from had a great big tank and did lots of research, (as Did I).
It is hard to say do you know how old he was? What kind of husbandry did he have like what was the UVB the previous owners and you using? How were basking temps taken? How long did you have him and him not eating? Was he really skinny when he died? I know there are so many questions - I know I went thru the same thing w/ the one we got from the high school- we had him for around 3 years and it turns out all the things in the tank we were wrong - I felt so bad and swore I would not make those same mistakes --- I learned from him and since have only learned more in the past 8 years w/ what not to do and what to do to keep them healthy

Addi_723

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is hard to say do you know how old he was? What kind of husbandry did he have like what was the UVB the previous owners and you using? How were basking temps taken? How long did you have him and him not eating? Was he really skinny when he died? I know there are so many questions - I know I went thru the same thing w/ the one we got from the high school- we had him for around 3 years and it turns out all the things in the tank we were wrong - I felt so bad and swore I would not make those same mistakes --- I learned from him and since have only learned more in the past 8 years w/ what not to do and what to do to keep them healthy
He was fully grown, probably a few years old. The UVB was standard, I can’t remember exactly the details but I remember researching and making sure it was a good one. We had thermometers and checked the temperatures, yes he was very skinny due to not eating. I had him a few months, which was very upsetting since he was my dream pet and I had him for such a short time. If I ever get a bearded dragon again I know what to do differently, I’m just hoping it wasn’t hibernation.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He was fully grown, probably a few years old. The UVB was standard, I can’t remember exactly the details but I remember researching and making sure it was a good one. We had thermometers and checked the temperatures, yes he was very skinny due to not eating. I had him a few months, which was very upsetting since he was my dream pet and I had him for such a short time. If I ever get a bearded dragon again I know what to do differently, I’m just hoping it wasn’t hibernation.
All uvb's are not the same especially ones / bulbs coming from china