• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ADVICE AND OPINIONS NEEDED!!!!

Kasie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone.
My name is Kasie and I am the proud owner of a 9 month old female beardie named Scarlet..She has always had a pretty regular appetite and eats regularly. However recently I decided to switch her from crickets to Dubai roaches. She ate 1 single roach and wont go near them again(I tried for 3 more days). Assuming she didn't like them I switched back to crickets and super worms. Only now she wont go near the crickets.. Just the worms...I've literally went 3 or 4 days of no worms at all and just fresh greens and crickets and she only nibbled on her greens and left the crickets alone, but then ill throw a worm in their and its game over. She charges and mauls them down like she hasn't ate in months.. So that being said.. I got online and ordered her a few different kinds of worms to alternate daily for her. Phoenix worms, silk worms, super worms, butter worms and wax worms.. And the occasional horn worm for dessert.. So daily she gets up to 6 worms 3 times a day and fresh greens. I add a different fruit or veggie sometimes to like apple or yellow peppers. So I guess my question would be, Is it alright that her diet is made of just worms and no crickets?? I also put her worms in a calcium supplement 3 times a week...???????????
THANKS EVEEYONE IN ADVANCE:)

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, welcome to the forum.
Yeah, you need to dial it back a bit, 3 times a day is too many worms. The main thing is that she eats her veggies, what do you use as a staple green? collards? One thing I have learned is that beardies are picky eaters, their appetites are a mystery sometimes. My male all of a sudden wont touch superworms, he used to love them. I am betting this is a temporary thing though. I would cut the worms down to one feeding a day, even though you have a good selection most of them have a high fat content. At 9 months the more veggies you can get her to eat the better, but keep trying the crickets and dubias, like I said ,she may just be being fussy.
Plus, some beardies will hold out for worms, they can be kinda...addictive for them

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Remember they won't let themselves starve and they will hold out for the foods that they like (worms) supers are high in fat and you want to be careful of how many they get as they can get fatty liver disease. Gutload your dubia and try different sizes and different colors of the dubia (my female used to eat all different dubia but now all she wants is the freshly molted ones.. sigh) so just keep feeding the good bugs and provide good greens as stated above and in time they will eat.. You can also try blending up the greens and bugs if nes into a smooth slurry and try it that way...as it's better than giving baby foods as a slurry.. I do this with my female when she won't eat