• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adopted adult dragon- critique my setup

Beardiebeth

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello. I just adopted an aprox 2 year old adult off Craigslist. I’ve had him two days. His last two daily poops are red with white urates, not brown. Not liquid blood but almost like the expanded red pellets in his bowl so I’m hoping that’s it. He was in a 20 :)o) gallon aquarium. He had two lights. A heat bulb and a uvb and heat bulb in one. They are definitely needing to be replaced. He came with a super worm farm. She said he ate 6 a day with some veggies. Not sure of what type of veggies.

The last two days I trashed the pellets, I put him in a 18x36, got some basking decor, kept a bowl of dark greens and mixed veggies out.
He hasn’t ate any crickets or superworms but has been eating a few Tbs of greens a day. He is basking during the day and scratching at the front of the glass. I noticed him closing one eye. I remember reading about eye conjunctivitis or something from the wrong lights. I saw his eyelid was light in color when he was asleep.

So. My questions are:
1- what lights should I buy to replace the current ones
2-how many days should I wait to see if his stool turns a normal brown color after his diet changing.
3-how many days a week should he eat insects and how many minimum?
4- the heat lights are warping/melting the static cling I put on for him today. What can I do about that?

I’m looking into finding a vet for a fecal sample.

Attachments

• DED7B426-7249-4D63-AC48-0E3AAC91D9F1.jpeg
    DED7B426-7249-4D63-AC48-0E3AAC91D9F1.jpeg
    914.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 3F782F1A-EF32-40F2-B9BA-118DE69044CE.jpeg
    3F782F1A-EF32-40F2-B9BA-118DE69044CE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 3222B5F8-4ADB-4174-A2F2-89D35AAAB005.jpeg
    3222B5F8-4ADB-4174-A2F2-89D35AAAB005.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • B34596E1-F92F-4921-A79B-F48901D1CABE.jpeg
    B34596E1-F92F-4921-A79B-F48901D1CABE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 90A0DF67-3BF7-4DD9-8072-D24CDEBE950F.jpeg
    90A0DF67-3BF7-4DD9-8072-D24CDEBE950F.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 36

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello. I just adopted an aprox 2 year old adult off Craigslist. I’ve had him two days. His last two daily poops are red with white urates, not brown. Not liquid blood but almost like the expanded red pellets in his bowl so I’m hoping that’s it. He was in a 20 :)o) gallon aquarium. He had two lights. A heat bulb and a uvb and heat bulb in one. They are definitely needing to be replaced. He came with a super worm farm. She said he ate 6 a day with some veggies. Not sure of what type of veggies.

The last two days I trashed the pellets, I put him in a 18x36, got some basking decor, kept a bowl of dark greens and mixed veggies out.
He hasn’t ate any crickets or superworms but has been eating a few Tbs of greens a day. He is basking during the day and scratching at the front of the glass. I noticed him closing one eye. I remember reading about eye conjunctivitis or something from the wrong lights. I saw his eyelid was light in color when he was asleep.

So. My questions are:
1- what lights should I buy to replace the current ones
2-how many days should I wait to see if his stool turns a normal brown color after his diet changing.
3-how many days a week should he eat insects and how many minimum?
4- the heat lights are warping/melting the static cling I put on for him today. What can I do about that?

I’m looking into finding a vet for a fecal sample.
Welcome and congrats on your addition..He looks good and so does his new set up. Under my comments you will find links for new comers in there you will find tons of info on set ups and general care.
1. Lighting: you want to get a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB fixture, when you buy online they come with a 5.0 bulb so keep that for a back up but buy a 10.0 bulbs...This light should overlap with the basking bulb and should cover 2/3rds of the tank.
Basking light: no colored lighting at all, so as long as you get heat from the bulb and gets the tank temps correct that's good to go. Wattages well that will all depend on your home and your household temps so you will need to experiment with what you'll need.. Get a IR temp gun to get accurate temps so no gauges that stick to the glass as they are worthless and only measure the temp of the glass.

2. You should notice a change in his poop & urate within a week if he's eating good with you. So keep feeding him greens and good bugs that should make a big difference since your not feeding the pellets anymore.

3. As an adult you can feed them bugs 2-3 times a week with salads everyday, feed him bugs and how many he can eat in 15 mins but just watch him as some will keep eating lol but most will walk away when they've had enough. Remember supplements! (in that link we've put a supplement schedule so check that).

4. I don't understand what your talking about could you take a picture? what static cling?? Are you talking about the screen?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hdrydr31 pretty much touched on everything. I would add some more things. Something easier to bask on that fits his whole body and a hide or too, maybe even a hammock.

Also give some more variety in bugs. Supers are higher on the fat side and if eaten too much could cause fatty liver disease. Silkworms and BSFL and crickets and dubia are all good choices. Hornworms are good for hydration.