• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adopted a malnourished bearded dragon, help?

Mas0n

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there!

I just adopted a bearded dragon and i feel as though he was neglected. Apparently his previous/previous owners fed him hot dogs. His owner after that says he never ate much and only ate a couple superworms here and there and some kale. (Apparently he refuses to eat crickets because he doesnt chase them) His skin looks in rough shape. I've tried feeding him lots of fresh foods and continuously offered superworms. It's been a few days and he's only eaten one superworm and a bite of cucumber and a bite of spinach. (I Know spinach isn't the best i was just testing to see what he would bite) This is my first time owning a bearded dragon so any help or advice id love to take so i can make sure this little guy is back to a healthy state! One thing i noticed is his tongue is always out of his mouth, His mouth never seems to fully close so i dont know if its just the way his mouth is formed or if its a sign of MBD. His basking temperature is usually around 95' during the day, and the tank temperature drops to about 75-80 at night. He also has a UV light during the day hours. Im trying to put a calcium powder on all of his food. Also, i have yet to see him drink out of his water bowl? I have a spray bottle and i put it on the jet setting and i will spray his mouth with it because he loves it. He drinks up all the water. Could there be a reason he's not drinking out of his bowl? How can i get him eating more?

Again, any advice, tips or anything i should know to get him in the healthiest state possible is much appreciated!

Attachments

• BEARDED DRAGON 2.jpg
    BEARDED DRAGON 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 349
  • BEARDED DRAGON.jpg
    BEARDED DRAGON.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 355

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey,

Poor little guy. Do you know how old he is? If he is still young, superworms can be difficult to digest. My first reaction is to suggest a vet trip. IMO he does not look healthy and from the pics looks pretty malnourished and his head looks a bit oddly shaped in the first picture (possible MBD, but I am not a vet), and there's a chance he could have a parasite so the vet doesn't hurt (just your wallet, perhaps). However, his age could impact his bulkiness. If I am not mistaken there are also some prescription creams that can be used for skin irritation or the such that you can get from the vet. The tongue could be a serious issue, but I haven't had experience with this apart from a chameleon who had a respiratory infection, treated with antibiotics. Being fed hot dogs, superworms, and kale does not sound like the route to a healthy beardie, at all. I cannot fathom how anyone thought feeding a beardie a hot dog was okay. I know you mentioned only feeding spinach to test, but I would put a halt on this. See if you can find some mustard greens, dandelion greens, collard greens, spaghetti squash for him instead. There is a list of foods for beardies somewhere around here, I will look around after this post and send it your way (unless someone does before I do). If you have access to hornworms, I would also suggest feeding some of those if he is big enough to handle them, or if you can find smaller ones - I have never owned a lizard that wouldn't eat these. They are definitely not a staple, but can be great for supplementation and hydration. For the water, run a warm bath for him and let him soak for about 30 mins. I usually fill it high enough to submerge the belly but not over the back completely. I usually do once a week, but with your wee one it might be good for you to up the baths. Most beardies don't drink from dishes, btw! Mine just poops in it occasionally ;)

What UVB light are you using?
Also what calcium? Multivitamin?

Mas0n

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey,

Poor little guy. Do you know how old he is? If he is still young, superworms can be difficult to digest. My first reaction is to suggest a vet trip. IMO he does not look healthy and from the pics looks pretty malnourished and his head looks a bit oddly shaped in the first picture (possible MBD, but I am not a vet), and there's a chance he could have a parasite so the vet doesn't hurt (just your wallet, perhaps). However, his age could impact his bulkiness. If I am not mistaken there are also some prescription creams that can be used for skin irritation or the such that you can get from the vet. The tongue could be a serious issue, but I haven't had experience with this apart from a chameleon who had a respiratory infection, treated with antibiotics. Being fed hot dogs, superworms, and kale does not sound like the route to a healthy beardie, at all. I cannot fathom how anyone thought feeding a beardie a hot dog was okay. I know you mentioned only feeding spinach to test, but I would put a halt on this. See if you can find some mustard greens, dandelion greens, collard greens, spaghetti squash for him instead. There is a list of foods for beardies somewhere around here, I will look around after this post and send it your way (unless someone does before I do). If you have access to hornworms, I would also suggest feeding some of those if he is big enough to handle them, or if you can find smaller ones - I have never owned a lizard that wouldn't eat these. They are definitely not a staple, but can be great for supplementation and hydration. For the water, run a warm bath for him and let him soak for about 30 mins. I usually fill it high enough to submerge the belly but not over the back completely. I usually do once a week, but with your wee one it might be good for you to up the baths. Most beardies don't drink from dishes, btw! Mine just poops in it occasionally ;)

What UVB light are you using?
Also what calcium? Multivitamin?

Apparently he's about 2 years old. Also I would have taken him to a vet but the nearest reptile vet is 8 hours away unfortunately. Ill go for a trip to the grocerie store tommorow and try to buy him some of these things. Also his calcium is ZooMed Reptile Calcium D3. He just seems to be fussy in what he eats. Im not to sure how to entice him to eat properly and get the nutrients he needs!

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If he's two than I think it's safe to say he has some issues. It really sucks the nearest herp vet is so far, but I really think he needs some attention. I mean, hot dogs are bad enough for people, I can't imagine what they do to a beardie digestive system. To put it in perspective of sizing and fullness, my girl is approximately the same age (see differences in head fullness, fat pads on top of head, snout, full arms). Not trying to parade my own little one, just trying to show you approximately how big your little guy should be at this point. Of course, every lizard is different, but he is really small judging from the pictures.
IMG_8234.JPG IMG_8241.JPG IMG_8242.JPG

But in the meantime! I have a fussy eater myself with veggies. I can usually trick her into eating greens by putting wax worms on top, and she occasionally gets some green to go with the meat. I have heard putting a paper towel at the bottom of the dish can make the veggies stand out and grab their attention. Also sprinkling supplement over the greens. If you haven't already, you should pick up a multivitamin as well. I use Herptivite and have never had an issue, but I have heard other owners prefer Reptivite. As for bugs, that can be a problem if they are being picky. Like I mentioned try hornworms. Wax worms are also a common treat lizards seem to love (not a staple though). If you are in the States Dubia roaches are great. I am in Canada so always forget about these buggers (they're illegal unfortunately).

You didn't mention what UVB light you use, but in the case you are using compact, I would highly highly recommend investing in a linear tube, a 10.0 ZooMed ReptiSun being a common favourite!

Hope your little guy starts feeling better! There are a lot of helpful resources around this site at the very top of the forums that I recommend checking out.

***ALSO, I just noticed looking at the pics again, what are you using for substrate?

Mas0n

Bearded Dragon Egg
If he's two than I think it's safe to say he has some issues. It really sucks the nearest herp vet is so far, but I really think he needs some attention. I mean, hot dogs are bad enough for people, I can't imagine what they do to a beardie digestive system. To put it in perspective of sizing and fullness, my girl is approximately the same age (see differences in head fullness, fat pads on top of head, snout, full arms). Not trying to parade my own little one, just trying to show you approximately how big your little guy should be at this point. Of course, every lizard is different, but he is really small judging from the pictures.
View attachment 16385 View attachment 16386 View attachment 16387

But in the meantime! I have a fussy eater myself with veggies. I can usually trick her into eating greens by putting wax worms on top, and she occasionally gets some green to go with the meat. I have heard putting a paper towel at the bottom of the dish can make the veggies stand out and grab their attention. Also sprinkling supplement over the greens. If you haven't already, you should pick up a multivitamin as well. I use Herptivite and have never had an issue, but I have heard other owners prefer Reptivite. As for bugs, that can be a problem if they are being picky. Like I mentioned try hornworms. Wax worms are also a common treat lizards seem to love (not a staple though). If you are in the States Dubia roaches are great. I am in Canada so always forget about these buggers (they're illegal unfortunately).

You didn't mention what UVB light you use, but in the case you are using compact, I would highly highly recommend investing in a linear tube, a 10.0 ZooMed ReptiSun being a common favourite!

Hope your little guy starts feeling better! There are a lot of helpful resources around this site at the very top of the forums that I recommend checking out.

***ALSO, I just noticed looking at the pics again, what are you using for substrate?

Sorry! Yes it is a linear tube. Ill go pick him up some multivitamins tomorrow and try the wax worms on top of his veggies. I live in Canada myself so ill try and find a pet store in town that has the wax worms and hornworms. Can you recommend how many bugs a day and what kind of bugs he should be eating daily? Also how much veggies is a normal amount he should be eating as well?

** And the substrate he came with was apparently coconut shavings?

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm it's a little tough because of his past, but at his age he should be eating 50 crickets/week or about 30 worms/week, supplemented daily. With mine I typically do a rotating feed, so one day bugs and salad (fill dish with greens), one day salad, one day nothing, repeat to hit the weekly quota. He is a bit different because of his size, so I would always have food ready, so no empty day. My girl is a chunker so needs that break to reflect on her eating habits.

Adult beardies should be eating 70% salad and 30% bugs. I don't have experience with a malnourished lizard, but this is what you want to aim for in the future. I don't think it would hurt for him to eat a few more bugs to build up some weight though, as long as he is getting nutrition from the veggies! I don't have an exact measurement for veggies, but I fill the dish and pray she finishes at least some of it.

Mas0n

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hmm it's a little tough because of his past, but at his age he should be eating 50 crickets/week or about 30 worms/week, supplemented daily. With mine I typically do a rotating feed, so one day bugs and salad (fill dish with greens), one day salad, one day nothing, repeat to hit the weekly quota. He is a bit different because of his size, so I would always have food ready, so no empty day. My girl is a chunker so needs that break to reflect on her eating habits.

Adult beardies should be eating 70% salad and 30% bugs. I don't have experience with a malnourished lizard, but this is what you want to aim for in the future. I don't think it would hurt for him to eat a few more bugs to build up some weight though, as long as he is getting nutrition from the veggies! I don't have an exact measurement for veggies, but I fill the dish and pray she finishes at least some of it.

Wow! Yeah Apparently he would eat maybe MAX 30 superworms a month. I've been trying to get him to eat and he's just not doing it. I heard using a dropper of chicken baby food on the end of their nose to lick it up is a good idea, would you recomend that?

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh yeah, beardies can have some big appetites! I have never used baby food myself, but have heard of others doing it when their beardies were sick or having bathroom issues. I think people usually recommend veggie ones, like squash or sweet potato. From what I understand, any veggie that beardies can eat regularly is ok in baby food form. Perhaps someone who has done the baby food routine can comment on this.

I am going to assume the previous owners didn't have proper lighting and other care routines, so hopefully after spending some time in the right basking temps and under a UBV lamp his appetite will pick up!

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Also on the substrate, I would get rid of the shavings and replace tile or repti-carpet. Coconut shavings, I have been told, are better for tropical critters, as they bump up humidity and that's not something you want too much of. Plus, it gets a little gross and can become dusty causing eye infections. Loose substrate can also cause impaction. I personally like tile as a flooring: super easy to clean, cheap, and trims down nails all in one. Pretty sure I picked up a few tiles from a Rona for a few bucks.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor guy! Looks like there is some MBD going on there and he needs a few good baths and some gentle scrubbing with a toothbrush. Rather than using baby food, it's better to make a smoothie of sorts out of their greens and possibly some bugs along with all the supplements. I make them for one of my girls and I use plain coconut water that doesn't have a lot of sugar in it to make it thin. You can put it in a syringe and drip it on the tip of his nose and entice him to lick it off.

Supplements I would get would be calcium with and without D3, a good multivitamin, some bee pollen and a probiotic. If you can get your hands on a good oral calcium (here in the states we can order it online) I would get some of that and inject it into some juicy worms like a hornworm. Hornworms also help with hydration. Usually it's recommended to dust one meal a day with the supplement but for the first two weeks I would dust everything.

Be very careful and don't over feed. His organs are going to be recovering from all the bad stuff he's been eating so you want to go slow.