• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Absolutely baffled... (just wants to sleep)

Godzilla 84

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there first time poster. Simply because I literally can not find an answer anywhere else as to what's going on

My 7 yr old female Godzilla has basically been in brumation type state for the last 3/4 months despite it being summer here in the UK ?? ( She always does brumate in winter )

She just constantly wants to sleep. I'll get her up a few times a week to bath or eat . But she'll literally only have 1 or 2 locusts she's absolutely no interest on anything else. She will poo when I bath.
I'll pop her back on her basking spot or under her UV light only to find her back in her hide a few hours later.
Nothing has changed in years in my living room or her vivarium
I have a 60 watt bulb her basking spot ranges anything from high 30s / low 40s celcius
Her UV light is only 6 weeks old.
I'm totally baffled everything seems fine could she simply be brumating?
Her general health seems okish when she's out although I've noticed her back legs not working as strong??

Sorry to ramble on just wanted to relay as much info as possible

As you can see her tail sticking out from her hide this is literally how she spends all her time unless i get her out

Many thanks for your time and any opinion is massively appreciated

Attachments

• DSC_0349.JPG
    DSC_0349.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0340.JPG
    DSC_0340.JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 12

Godzilla 84

Bearded Dragon Egg
I should add I measure her temps with a digital thermometer not those ones you can see stuck on the side of her vivarium. They're old !

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I should add I measure her temps with a digital thermometer not those ones you can see stuck on the side of her vivarium. They're old !
Ok first thing I see is the UVB is a good bulb however you need to have it in a fixture w/ a reflector and I would get a higher bulb like a 12% desert or euro I think they are called over there same brand just go w/ a higher bulb - your UVB rays are going all over that tank --- she is not getting adequate UVB which is going to cause the behavior your getting along w/ lack of appetite you want the rays to direct downward toward her -- also please get a bright white basking bulb the yellowish bulb is not giving off any UVA which she needs -- you want to mimic the sun --- how tall is the tank ? this would be another reason for the behavior your getting -- dragons should not brumate for more than 3 months -- if they are there is a issue -- like the one your getting now -- please get your lighting fixed then watch her behavior -- also I would change out your substrate -- loose substrates harbor bacteria and can cause all kinds of health issues -- you could go w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your home improvement store clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50

Godzilla 84

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there. Thank you so much for your reply ...
Maybe it wasn't clear on pictures there is a reflector there ! It's been the same one for 7 years so maybe does that lose its effectiveness???
Also the substrate is the corn granuals. Always used it every " expert " I know have sworn by it as very easy to digest ??
I'm certainly no expert but certainly had no problems til now hence the original post.
Happy to upgrade my UV light to the one you said if you think that could make a difference??
Please find pics of the reflector and substrate.
The Viv is 4ft wide and 17 hinches in height

Many thanks again

Attachments

• DSC_0352.JPG
    DSC_0352.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0351.JPG
    DSC_0351.JPG
    677 KB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there. Thank you so much for your reply ...
Maybe it wasn't clear on pictures there is a reflector there ! It's been the same one for 7 years so maybe does that lose its effectiveness???
Also the substrate is the corn granuals. Always used it every " expert " I know have sworn by it as very easy to digest ??
I'm certainly no expert but certainly had no problems til now hence the original post.
Happy to upgrade my UV light to the one you said if you think that could make a difference??
Please find pics of the reflector and substrate.
The Viv is 4ft wide and 17 hinches in height

Many thanks again
Your uvb is 7 years old? Please replace immediately- I would get a 12% Arcadia bulb distance from basking decor directly above 12-15 inches- and yes you want a bright white basking bulb-- uvb's need to be replaced once a year for 12% bulb I recommend month prior to

Godzilla 84

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your uvb is 7 years old? Please replace immediately- I would get a 12% Arcadia bulb distance from basking decor directly above 12-15 inches- and yes you want a bright white basking bulb-- uvb's need to be replaced once a year for 12% bulb I recommend month prior to
Noooo the current uvb is only about 6 weeks old ! God no haha. I was talking about the reflector! That's been the same reflector !!
Ok I'll upgrade the uvb to 12%
See how that goes

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Noooo the current uvb is only about 6 weeks old ! God no haha. I was talking about the reflector! That's been the same reflector !!
Ok I'll upgrade the uvb to 12%
See how that goes
Sorry I thought you meant the bulb was 7 years old ---- just make sure your distance is the 12-15 inches and upgrading your bulb to the 12% and the bright basking bulb you should notice a difference in her behavior and appetite keep me posted please

Godzilla 84

Bearded Dragon Egg
Received her new lights today 12% d3 Arcadia.
I placed her there about 3 hours ago band she's still there which I think already might be an improvement.
Hasn't shown interest in food yet though...

Thanks again

Attachments

• DSC_0353.JPG
    DSC_0353.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Received her new lights today 12% d3 Arcadia.
I placed her there about 3 hours ago band she's still there which I think already might be an improvement.
Hasn't shown interest in food yet though...

Thanks again
Make sure the UVB is 12-15 inches directly above her basking spot ---