• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A sick Beardie

Mistquest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
I'm new to this website, but i joined because I'm worried about my breeder. Hes a rescue and his name is Norbert. Hes fully grown and about 22 inches long from end to end. Hes in a 40 gallon breeder and has a full spectrum/heat lamp (160) and a 150 watt night light.
My problem is that when i was giving him a bath, cause he got poop everywhere, i heard a splash and i looked over and it looked like he threw up. There was a bunch of undigested greens and super worms in the water, but i didn't see any bile.
I took him out of the water and put him in is holding container. He was still breathing heavey and opening his mouth and puffing out his beard. Then he went really pale, hes normally a slate grey color and he turned to a very light grey.
I carefully dried him of and got him under his heat lamp to warm up, and his color returned.
Later that same day i offered him a super worm and he took it without hesitation, as well as the food that i offered him later.
its been a day and hes moving around normally, as much as he really does, hes lazy, and he seems to be eating fine.
Does anyone know what this was, if i should be worried, and what it should do about it?
nothing I've found online really applies.

Loose Nut

Bearded Dragon Egg
If he drinks when he is in his bath he may have drank to much, mine did that 2 days ago except he threw up water and his beard went full black
( scared the crap out of me )

Mistquest

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't think that that's what it Was because he doesn't drink water from the bath and his beard didn't go dark.
But thanks for the suggestion!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What likely happened is he ate too much at once, ate and didn't have enough time under his lighting.. I would say if he's acting fine he is likely ok..Keep an eye on him when eating and make sure he has enough time (min 2hrs) under his heat and UVB to digest.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Also just want to point out that they don’t need light at night. Your tank should drop between 65 and 70 at night. They need the cool and darkness to rest their brain and further process calcium and D3.