• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little concerned

showjumper_girl2002

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all! My beardie, Tiki, is acting slightly different than he used to and I’m not sure it’s normal or if I should be concerned. He’s a very sweet boy and enjoys being out with me and taking baths. He acts completely calm and relaxed, however he is showing, what I’ve read are called stress marks under his belly. I can’t figure out what could be stressing him.

I just changed his UVB bulb and his basking spot runs about 99. There is nothing around his terrarium that has changed or would bother him. I’ve had him a little over a year now and got him when he was a hatchling so he’s a bit over a year old. I noticed he doesn’t seem to bask as much and sometimes stays in his hammock all day (from what I can tell).

He’s also not eating his veggies as regularly or as eagerly as he used to. I do notice he’ll eat a bit every now and then but he will go more than a day without touching them. He used to run to the dish every morning and start chowing down. He does still really enjoy horn worms. He will eat crickets, but doesn’t seem as interested or eager to chase them. I usually have to put them right in front of him.

Overall he seems healthy. He hasn’t lost any weight or anything. I’m wondering if this has anything to do with him turning a year old and maybe getting hormone changes?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. He is my baby and I want to make sure he is ok and know if I should take him to a vet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all! My beardie, Tiki, is acting slightly different than he used to and I’m not sure it’s normal or if I should be concerned. He’s a very sweet boy and enjoys being out with me and taking baths. He acts completely calm and relaxed, however he is showing, what I’ve read are called stress marks under his belly. I can’t figure out what could be stressing him.

I just changed his UVB bulb and his basking spot runs about 99. There is nothing around his terrarium that has changed or would bother him. I’ve had him a little over a year now and got him when he was a hatchling so he’s a bit over a year old. I noticed he doesn’t seem to bask as much and sometimes stays in his hammock all day (from what I can tell).

He’s also not eating his veggies as regularly or as eagerly as he used to. I do notice he’ll eat a bit every now and then but he will go more than a day without touching them. He used to run to the dish every morning and start chowing down. He does still really enjoy horn worms. He will eat crickets, but doesn’t seem as interested or eager to chase them. I usually have to put them right in front of him.

Overall he seems healthy. He hasn’t lost any weight or anything. I’m wondering if this has anything to do with him turning a year old and maybe getting hormone changes?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. He is my baby and I want to make sure he is ok and know if I should take him to a vet.
What are you using for a UVB? Is it a long tube fixture or a coil? We are going to start there for these changes --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s a coil. That’s what came with the tank kit so I replaced it with the same kind.
Please get rid of the coil --- you need a long tube fixture a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a tank that is 40 + gallon --- please get this ASAP -- hes starting the health issues w/ the coil--- coils are inadequate for tanks of 40 gallon or bigger -- I dont even recommend them for the smaller tanks --- please get this changed out or he will continue to decline in health - I cannot stress this enough --- my go to place is all sold out I suggest you look on Amazon

showjumper_girl2002

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the coil --- you need a long tube fixture a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a tank that is 40 + gallon --- please get this ASAP -- hes starting the health issues w/ the coil--- coils are inadequate for tanks of 40 gallon or bigger -- I dont even recommend them for the smaller tanks --- please get this changed out or he will continue to decline in health - I cannot stress this enough --- my go to place is all sold out I suggest you look on Amazon
I’ll get one ASAP! I attached a picture of my tank. How would I utilize a long bulb fixture without it being in the way of the basking lamp’s light/heat?
F8FB5331-8428-49C4-B036-D6340CFEE35D.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ll get one ASAP! I attached a picture of my tank. How would I utilize a long bulb fixture without it being in the way of the basking lamp’s light/heat?View attachment 25050
Ok when you get the fixture let me know- I will help you get it placed the screen on your tank is it a fine screen like a screen door or is it a wide holed screen? The T 5 can go on top but I need to know type of screen-- I dont see any other type of thermometers- you need a digital probe thermometer for actual basking temps--- the stick ons are inaccurate-- the two MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank are UVB and basking temps they control the overall health and behavior of your dragon-----

showjumper_girl2002

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok when you get the fixture let me know- I will help you get it placed the screen on your tank is it a fine screen like a screen door or is it a wide holed screen? The T 5 can go on top but I need to know type of screen-- I dont see any other type of thermometers- you need a digital probe thermometer for actual basking temps--- the stick ons are inaccurate-- the two MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank are UVB and basking temps they control the overall health and behavior of your dragon-----
Thank you so much! The screen is more of a heavy duty metal screen. I included a pic for you. I have a digital point laser thermometer I use that seems to be pretty accurate. I read it’s the best kind to use.
FF9FFE27-8D20-48F1-AB37-B9D9D0CD5B27.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much! The screen is more of a heavy duty metal screen. I included a pic for you. I have a digital point laser thermometer I use that seems to be pretty accurate. I read it’s the best kind to use.
View attachment 25051
Yeah the holes are good but the thickness is not- it's gonna haft to go inside the tank - I will post things to use for hanging- I will help you get it placed- the IR gun is good but sometimes certain materials throw it off-- especially hammocks- digital probe thermometer are most accurate- Petco or PetSmart $8 or so

showjumper_girl2002

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah the holes are good but the thickness is not- it's gonna haft to go inside the tank - I will post things to use for hanging- I will help you get it placed- the IR gun is good but sometimes certain materials throw it off-- especially hammocks- digital probe thermometer are most accurate- Petco or PetSmart $8 or so
I’m having a hard time finding a 24 in hood with t5 bulb. I found a 20” one. I’ll check my local pet store. I’m concerned there isn’t enough room to mount a fixture inside. I think it has to be a minimum of 12 inches from the basking spot right?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m having a hard time finding a 24 in hood with t5 bulb. I found a 20” one. I’ll check my local pet store. I’m concerned there isn’t enough room to mount a fixture inside. I think it has to be a minimum of 12 inches from the basking spot right?
12-15 inches I had another person on here just order one off Amazon let me look at the post-- look at titothebeardies post

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How do I look up a specific person’s post?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When you get the UVB post back on here and I will help you get it set up ---

showjumper_girl2002

Bearded Dragon Egg

Ordered! Should be here on the 12th if not a little sooner. I'll let you know as soon as I have it!

showjumper_girl2002

Bearded Dragon Egg
Couldnt he be going into brumation?
I thought that is a female thing? Do males go into brumation? I’d like him to have the correct lighting either way so that is great to know so I can correct it ASAP! I would love to know any other possible reasons for the way his behavior has slightly changed so I can catch any other possible issue and address it should fixing the UVB light not help change the current situation.

showjumper_girl2002

Bearded Dragon Egg
Couldnt he be going into brumation?
I just read a detailed article on brumation and I think that may be what’s going on (thank god). He has all the signs, including hardly ever pooing. For some reason I thought brumation had to do with laying eggs . Hopefully that is all that’s going on.

Sadie, I’d still very much love your assistance with the light when it comes in. Want to make sure my boy is well taken care of and happy