• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

6 month old ill or brumating?

spacewerewolf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey folks, figured I'd try posting here as well.

My beardie is just under 6 months old and about 14 inches long. For the past two weeks his appetite has severely decreased; at first he would eat his breakfast in the morning normally and then fast until bedtime, but the past two days he won't really eat at all anymore. Aside from that everything else is still pretty normal. Some days he naps a little more than usual but mostly still spends all of his time basking, and is still active - as I type this he's popping around his cage a bit, and when I take him out he goes exploring the room. He's still got thickness to his tail and doesn't look skinny or ill, and is pooping, though it's not every day and is really tiny because of how little he's taking in. His cage setup and temperatures are all correct.

I've already taken him to the vet for a checkup. She did a fecal test, weighed him, and examined him physically and didn't find anything wrong.

So could it just be the time of year that's making him go off his food? Should I just keep an eye on him, and if he starts visibly losing weight take him to another vet for a second opinion and maybe some bloodwork? I'm just worried he's going to get dehydrated because he won't take water from a mister, eyedropper, or his bath - so the only moisture he ingests is from his food. He's already looking a bit more wrinkly than usual. Secondarily, I'm also wondering if his growth may be stunted; due to space reasons this is likely the only beardie I'm going to get and I was hoping he'd get to a pretty decent size.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is a bit young for him to completely brumate, but it is the season for them to slow down and some fully brumate. Keep offering his bugs and greens. Keep soaking him as they do take in some water thru their vent/belly, as that's what they do in the wild when in their burrows as they sleep. For those like yours that are really too young to fully brumate they will slow down, sleep for 2-3 days come out eat poop and go back to sleep or just be sluggish for awhile... You can always give them a juicy butter worm, or hornworm for a treat for moisture..
As far as size is he's young and not done growing yet only some time will tell.

spacewerewolf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the response! Yeah from what I've read it's supposed to be unusual at this age for brumating type behaviors but not unheard of exactly so I'm hoping it has something to do with the time of year and won't last *too* long to the point where it has an impact on his growth

Are waxworms fairly juicy too? Those are the only ones I can get ahold of without having to make an online order and I think most sites are closed until the holiday rush is over

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the response! Yeah from what I've read it's supposed to be unusual at this age for brumating type behaviors but not unheard of exactly so I'm hoping it has something to do with the time of year and won't last *too* long to the point where it has an impact on his growth

Are waxworms fairly juicy too? Those are the only ones I can get ahold of without having to make an online order and I think most sites are closed until the holiday rush is over

Yea my Beardie is under a year as well and she is partially brumating. Her eating has slowed, she is super slow to wake up and will stay under her hide with just her head out, she will still eat so I put her up on her basking spot so she can digest properly.
Just keep offering him bugs and greens, waxworms are good. Here's a breakdown that I was able to put together of what each consists of:
Crickets: 74% moisture, 1% Ash, 18% Protein, 6% Fat, 3% Carbs, 3% Fiber, 14 Calcium
ButterWorms: 59% Moisture, 16% Protein, 5% Fat, 1% Ash, 43 Calcium
Dubia Roaches: 61% Moisture, 2% Ash, 36% Protein, 7% Fat, 3% Carbs, 20 Calcium
Locusts: 62% Moisture, 41% Protein, 5% Fat
Superworms: 59% Moisture, 1% Ash, 20% Protein, 16% Fat, 6% Carbs, 11 Calcium
Mealworms: 59% Moisture, 10% Protein, 1% Ash, 13% Fat, 3% Carbs, 3 Calcium
Waxworms: 61% Moisture, 16% Protein, 18% Fat, 1% Ash, 8% Fiber, 13 Calcium
Phoenix Worms: <10% Moisture, 17% Protein, 10% Fat, 34 Calcium
Silkworms: 76% Moisture, 64% Protein, 10% Fat, 8% Ash, 34 Calcium
Hornworms: