• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

6 month old feeding

Pixel

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've had Pixel since he was six weeks old. He ate wonderfully until about 2 months ago when we were having a lot of really bad weather around here (earthquakes, hurricanes hit close, horrible storms etc) it took him a few weeks to get back to eating at all, and he still isn't really up to where he should be (i think) He gets dusted crickets in the morning, will only eat a couple, 4 at the most. After that he gets salad all day, and where he used to eat almost all of it, he now only nibbles at it, and in the evening he gets dubia, he will eat about 5 or so of those. He is shedding today, the first time in over a month.

He is at a measly 55 grams and 10.5 inches at 6 months, I think it is lack of eating. He has been vet checked and the fecal came back with no parasites or issues.

husbandry:
29 gallon tank, screen lid, basking temp is kept at 101.5*f, 10.0 reptisun uvb, humidity is around 44%, gets sprayed once a day, and bathed at least 3 times a week, drinks from an eyedropper daily. Crickets are dusted with calcium everyday except tuesday and thursday they are dusted with multi-vitamins.

Am I right in thinking he just isn't eating enough? How can I entice him to eat more?

DSCN5119.jpg

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
switch up a little and try some worms like superworms and then hornworms as a treat every few weeks. try backing off the water a bit as they get the bulk of their needed moisture from their prey. if needed, they'll get the extra water from their bath.

Pixel

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have dubia roaches, he loves them, just won't eat enough of them. I'm looking into hornworms, maybe the color will catch his eye, I give him mealworms every once in a while, and tried waxworms but he didn't care for them.

How do they do on silkworms?
I'm looking at the 4 cup deal on Mulberry Farms page, they have 2 cups of hornworms (15-20+ each) and two silkworm cups (20-25 medium each) for $39.95 with shipping. I figure if he doesn't like them my diamondback and Chameleon should love them.

Pixel

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He eats 5 or so dubia in a sitting, they are about 3/4". Blue silkworms? I think your thinking of hornworms?

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
you could also try mixing in sweet fruit in the salad that might help her get attracked to the salad to eat more... mix it really good so she has to eat the salad to get to the fruit otherwise she will just pick out the fruit.....