• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

6 month old dragon trying to brumate

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Hi everyone,

I'm new and this is my first post. My rankins dragon is trying to brumate. I had heard it wasn't good for them if they're under a year old? This is the second time they've tried and the last time I was worried and didn't know what was happening so I woke him/her. Please can you offer some advice? Thanks:)

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
No, I've honestly no idea! You can just see his tail, he's buried himself, or herself.

Attachments

• 20191028_191604.jpg
    20191028_191604.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 195
  • 20191028_191613.jpg
    20191028_191613.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 188

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you! The light that is on is UV A and B the dark one is his night light. I have stick on temps at both ends and a digital one under the day build that you see on. He's stopped eating as much too. His basking temp is 100 and the cool end is 85. I've been doing more with him recently now that he's bigger. Taking him out more and in different places and he swam for the first time on Saturday. What else can I tell you?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Hi - beardies need full dark for sleeping - if you stop using that night light you may find he has not been getting enough sleep and once he does, he'll start perking up. Colored bulbs in general (including blacklight) are not good for beardies. If you need heat at night (only if your house gets much below 65*F at night), you can use a CHE or heat projector - both do not produce light. If the house isn't that cold, no extra heat is needed - it's actually good for your beardie to have the chance to cool down at night. :0)

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Apologies for the following stupid questions...
The black light is purple/blue when on, how do you keep them warm without it? it is set to come on about an hour after the main light has gone off to allow the temp to fall a little.
The day lamp is a ceramic UVA and B, is 100 not ok for a day temp? It falls between the 95 and 105?

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you! I was considering cutting the top off his enclosing and putting mesh on to give more space. Do you see any difference with heat retention if the top is off and meshed? That way he could have 2 bulbs on the top and a UVB strip light inside at the top which might be better?
I'll get him a new night light.i would think it drops to about 60 overnight without it abs ut holds a decent temp with it on.
When do you use your night light?

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Looks fab! So if I cut the top off mine and used mesh, would I have one bulb for heat and UVA then the strip light for UVB and al heater for night with no light if I needed it? I think his temperature would fall at night if I had the top off the viv :)

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Which light then gives out the day time heat and UVA? Sorry for all this, I just want him to be happy and healthy!

His eating has slowed right down too. I used to feed him twice a day but now he gets insects in his viv, I thought it would be more natural to chase his food. I'm trying to get him back to earong at set times. He could be sick of eating just locusts?

Yes the viv is wooden with glass front and wood on top.

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
That could be a problem, my son likes to feed him wax worms and I worry he has a taste for them and wont eat much else now. He has greens and/or some fruit daily but I cant get him to eat any! He gets his locusts covered in calcium. He did eat one today.
Yes its loose substrate, I was looking at reptile carpet instead?
I tried a dubia roach but he took ages to eat it!
The crickets seemed to get all over the house!
He is in a 3ft x 2ft wooden viv :)

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
He's a rankins dragon and just 6 months. I hoped that would be big enough for him for now at least? He will only grow to 10 or 12 inches when fully grown.

How can I get him to eat his greens? He gets first thing in the morning but he isnti interested. I stopped the worms when he stopped eating his insects.

I'll get him some different bulbs and see if he perks up. He was out earlier today and seemed fine :-(

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
His poops are normal just not as frequent. He used to eat a lot. I've had him eat greens a couple of times from me. I try every day to get him to eat them.

I guess the temp variation will be better in a larger viv. Thank you

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Keep trying tge roaches. Yes, crickets are a pain in the patootie! Ask your son to lay off the waxworms, or at least to cut way back. Think of them as candy treats. Once you have the correct basking (heat/UVA) bulb and UVB tube, and non-light-emitting supplemental heat if needed for night, you should be good. If you're feeding him in the viv, consider something like nonadhesive shelf liner for flooring - easy maintenance and no impaction risk. He may be bored with locusts, but you can add variety to the insect offerings. Besides roaches and crickets, there are several kinds of worms that are good feeders: silkworms, butterworms, occasional hornworms, BSFL (these and silks are great staples). :0)

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Hi there. Here is his new viv and light setup. He did eat one locust this morning. If it is the lighting that was making him lethargic and not eat, how long would it be until I might see him back to his normal self?

Attachments

• 20191101_131647.jpg
    20191101_131647.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 41

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Hey, there's a reflector on the UVB one at the back on the ceiling, but not on the backing bulb.

The blooming shop recommend the chip instead of the tortoise sand we had originally been recommended. I wish the would just say what I need for him to be safe! Mine does lick, but I presume they dont eat sand in the wild!

Gemjar82

Hatchling Dragon
Great, there's a reflector on the UVB strip but no cover and no cover on the basking lamp! He is already jumping and hunting around! Thank you so much for your help and advice, I'm so relieved!
Now to get him to drink and eat his greens as his skin is a little wrinkled!