• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

6 mo old bearded dragon sneezing

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
I noticed this weekend that Francine has been sneezing, a few times a day. I have also noticed that she is staring to shed on her face (eye bulging and rubbing). I haven't noticed any other issues that might be related to a respiratory infection. Her basking spot is about 107 F and her cool side is about 75. She sleeps with socks and one of my old tshirts. She has normal basking behavior (open mouth, head up, flattening out) and she has been eating and pooping regularly. She gets baths every 2-3 days for about 10 minutes in water about 95-100 F. She went to the vet a few weeks ago because she had a minor seizure and they said she looks great. Should I be concerned about the sneezing?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I noticed this weekend that Francine has been sneezing, a few times a day. I have also noticed that she is staring to shed on her face (eye bulging and rubbing). I haven't noticed any other issues that might be related to a respiratory infection. Her basking spot is about 107 F and her cool side is about 75. She sleeps with socks and one of my old tshirts. She has normal basking behavior (open mouth, head up, flattening out) and she has been eating and pooping regularly. She gets baths every 2-3 days for about 10 minutes in water about 95-100 F. She went to the vet a few weeks ago because she had a minor seizure and they said she looks great. Should I be concerned about the sneezing?
Hello, welcome to the forum :) , when beardies shed their nose/face it’s pretty normal for sneezing, face rubbing etc. her nose hole itself is in the process of shedding it’ll irritate her till its ready.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you!
Once you notice the nose scale shed coming up , use ur nail and pry dont pull, if it doesn’t budge its not ready, once you do it the first time youll be a pro at it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would be more concerned w/ the minor seizure --- what are you using for a UVB? No coils please -- the MOST TWO IMPORTANT things in the tank are the basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and the UVB --

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would be more concerned w/ the minor seizure --- what are you using for a UVB? No coils please -- the MOST TWO IMPORTANT things in the tank are the basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and the UVB --
Yes she has the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 inside her tank no closer than 6 inches from her basking spot as well as the Zoo Med 100 W basking light. She also gets calcium with D3 and multivitamin on her crickets.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes she has the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 inside her tank no closer than 6 inches from her basking spot as well as the Zoo Med 100 W basking light. She also gets calcium with D3 and multivitamin on her crickets.
Ok please have the distance 12-15 inches for the T 5 directly over her basking decor-- anything closer than 12 is too close --

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; there’s a few things going on here. We reacue & rehome; so I’m happy to help. Yes the sneezing is a huge concern & so is the seizure & bulging eyes. Do U have a digital hygrometer? The humidity should be between 30-40; never ever higher than 40 or this causes an URI, as of now, It def sounds like a URInfection. As far as baths only give 2baths per week. U may do more when she’s shedding & only in dechlorinated, lukewarm water for 15min minimum. Which is semi warm/tolerable. If u don’t have a filter system get REPTISAFE at any pet store. Never get water in her ears & let her soak for 15min the water level should be way below her neck otherwise they aspirate & breathe in water which leads to an URI. Rite now; NO baths for now till u get her to a good vet asap; she will need 3doses of antibiotics to kill the URI. They will give 3 injections of Fortaz it’s an antibiotic for URI, just make sure u go to a very good reptile vet. Google or ask breeders or pet stores. The temp for a Beardie 10mnths or older should be 95-100, never ever higher & when they are younger they need 100-105. Also the seizures are MBD; do u have the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB? This is the best and only recommended uvb light & it needs replacing every 6Mnths as do all UVB lights. The length u order should cover 70 percent of the length of the tank & the Beardie needs to be 10inches or more away from it. Place it starting at the hot side so when he basks he gets both. He needs a hideaway also; get a hammock & place behind the basking spot with a soft terry cloth towel on top & underneath a tshirt or soft fleece blanket. Bulging eyes is a sign of bad/incorrect lighting or too close to the UVB or heat lamp. Are u using a colored or coiled bulb? If so remove them ASAP. Never ever use them at nite or during the day. For Heat it’s the CLEAR zoomed basking bulb & for UVB it’s the Reptisun 10.0 T5. Both need to remain on for 19-12 hours in the winter more like 10 & in the summer 12-14 hours; more like 14. At nite a ceramic heat emitter only in the winter if temp drops below 70, this emits warmth but no light. Please get the correct UVB or seizures will get worse, tremors, unable to eat or walk and eventually death. Same with URI he needs antibiotics ASAP. GLuck

Kellyf1958

Bearded Dragon Egg
Our Dio has bulged his eyes a couple times during his head shedding. When I looked it up I read it was normal. I am reading now that it is not normal? He did not do this during his last shedd that I saw.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Our Dio has bulged his eyes a couple times during his head shedding. When I looked it up I read it was normal. I am reading now that it is not normal? He did not do this during his last shedd that I saw.
Remove all colored & coiled bulbs asap & use the clear zoomed for heat & the Reptisun 10.0 T5 fir uvb it’s a long tubular bulb. Make sure he’s at least 10inches away from both bulbs

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Frankie does the same thing. She bulges her eyes only when her face is shedding. I looked it up and everything I read said it was normal.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is normal for them to do that-- hes stretching his lids to get the shed loose --

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
"The prevailing belief is that bearded dragons bulge their eyes in order to stretch the skin around their eyes during a time of shedding."

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am assuming its normal. My vet also said that eye bulging is normal during shedding but other times it is not normal...