• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

5,000 mile, 6 night road trip with 8 month old beardie??!?

kylesettles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey group,

So my wife and I are moving from Alaska to Michigan this June and have been doing research about making that road trip with our beardie. As of now, our options are to rehome her to a comfortable environment up here or take her with, with obviously preference being for her to join us on our journey.

I’m reaching out to the community to see if anyone might have road tripped with a beardie before. Any advice or first hand experience would be awesome.

Our trip will take us 5-6 nights and we will be staying at hotels each night, with a two night stay in Canada halfway through the trip. I have lots of ideas about enclosures and keeping her space warm but anything from you all would be amazing!

Thanks.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow now that is a big move..for the hotel nights a temp tank set up can be as easy as a big storage tub you can clip the lamps on the top edge. During the car time a pet carrier with some nice bedding and you can place hand warmers or you can buy reptile heat packs that places use to ship animals..put the hot pack under the bedding so your dragon doesn't lay right on it as they can't sense heat from their belly.
Remember if you can't give her the min 2 hours to be under UVB and basking time don't feed her.
It is completely doable

Amy Clausen

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good luck on the move!! We are in Florida and when we had a cat 5 hurricane coming we packed up and left. It took us 3 days to get to our house in NC. For the most part my sweet MuShu just laid on the dash and soaked up the sun, she made lots of friends at the rest stops :) . At night in the hotels we set up her smaller tank with her lights. She is a good sleeper and goes right to sleep after she is rocked in her blanket for 20 minutes or so. This is very doable... it actually makes for a better road trip. Hope this helps