• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

36”x18”x18” 50 gallon tank set up help !!

Marianalago

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I recently had my baby bearded dragon that is 3 months old in a 10 gallon tank .. and i just got him a 50 gallon tank 36”x18”x18” but i need help finding the right wattages and what type of basking light i need and uvb. I already have a uvb light fixture that is about 22” but I haven’t bought the bulb to put in it yet .. i don’t want to buy anything till i have an answer for the correct set up for him . And please add pictures for me because I don’t understand much of the names .. of things loll. Thanks so much !!

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, what fixture do you have, is it a T5, T8, etc? Also are you wanting my recommendations for just a UVB bulb or a UVB bulb and a basking bulb?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Marianalago

Bearded Dragon Egg

ok so 75 Watts will be good for a 50 gallon tank ??

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
ok so 75 Watts will be good for a 50 gallon tank ??
It depends on where you live, the temperature of your house, and the season. I use a 50 Watt but most people use higher wattage, it just depends. This is a chart of what you want the temperature to be
  • Basking Temp = 105° - 115° degrees Fahrenheit (41° C)
  • Overall Temp = 90° degrees Fahrenheit (32° C)
  • Cool Side = 70° – 80° degrees Fahrenheit (21° – 29° C)
  • Nighttime = 65° – 70° degrees Fahrenheit (18° – 21° C)

Marianalago

Bearded Dragon Egg
It depends on where you live, the temperature of your house, and the season. I use a 50 Watt but most people use higher wattage, it just depends. This is a chart of what you want the temperature to be

i live in an apartment most of the time my ac is always on 70-72 and at night we put it on 68. Right now it’s summer . We live in Georgia .

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
i have the same size Vivarium. Running a 60W basking bulb with a 30inch uvb. Same situation as you my flat is very warm the temps are fine just on the humid side

Marianalago

Bearded Dragon Egg
i have the same size Vivarium. Running a 60W basking bulb with a 30inch uvb. Same situation as you my flat is very warm the temps are fine just on the humid side
Ok but since my uvb light is shorter should i do a 75W for basking ? Can u send me a pic of ur set up

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don’t believe the usv
the usb doesn’t heat ur tank. Get several size basking lamps. It’s important to have a spare anyway. Put one in, use several thermometers one on each end minimum. Then get ur tank as close to the numbers that Silver posted. Also keep track of the humidity. Ur going to find u probably need a different wattage at different times of the yr

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don’t believe the usv

the usb doesn’t heat ur tank. Get several size basking lamps. It’s important to have a spare anyway. Put one in, use several thermometers one on each end minimum. Then get ur tank as close to the numbers that Silver posted. Also keep track of the humidity. Ur going to find u probably need a different wattage at different times of the yr
I recommend getting a digital probe thermometer to get accurate basking temps- set the probe on the basking spot wait 10 minutes then get the temp

Sjackson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'd recommend getting a 60-75 watt halogen flood lamp on a dimmer so you can adjust the temps as necessary. Halogen bulbs last much longer than the reptile specific basking bulbs anyways and are a bit cheaper. i get mine from kroger as most of the big box and hardware stores have all moved to led lights